Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

To what extent, and why, is 'freedom' a 'problem'?

I agree we act in reality. It seems to me the difference between a conscious body and other bodies is exactly that the former can act, the latter only react.

If a conscious body were mindlessly pushed along by events like any other body, then its consciousness would have no role or purpose, but would be only a pointless and meaningless epiphenomena blowing along in the wake of events. There would be, in principle, no basis for any reason to accept that any other body apart from one's own may also be conscious. As with many ludicrous assertions, that may be a defensible position. However, I'd suggest it's not a useful perspective.

I find Aristotle's take on time interesting. Certainly, to stop things moving would be to stop time, for one cannot imagine time without change. But to my mind this does not go far enough. It's not mindless mechanical movement that impels time forward, for such an impetus adds nothing to the future that is not already implicit in the present. That kind of "change" leaves the conscious body as no different than any other body, except that it is for some reason condemned ever to be a helpless witness to events, aware it is never to have a hand in shaping its own future.

So I'd suggest that the change that is an essential part of the notion of time is not the "change" of mechanical progression. It is rather an irruption of the novel and new into the world. We know what Aristotle did not know; we know the future is underdetermined by the present. There are many futures that can flow from this "now". Conscious bodies in particular are able to choose one future rather than another; I suggest it is this disjunction itself that is the stuff of consciousness.

I agree with all of that. What I disagree with is that the irruption of the novel is attributable to time. Time / space is derived from the attempt to construct materiality as a totally 'ordered' thing, because it isn't - it's not complete it's fluxing and moving, its own appearance and disappearance.

How I may as well only be a careful distinction, nonetheless I would say that there is confirmation within science. NIST timekeepers would seem to agree.

if a transcendental god is taken to be something other than time and space
and if time and space are psychological constructs of a subject,
then the subject may also be something other than time and space
both immanent and transcendent in a singular being

Quite lovely, but I am not proceeding from theistic assumptions myself - at least I don't think that I am. I'm trying to deconstruct the necessity of such transcendence.

I agree with all of that. What I disagree with is that the irruption of the novel is attributable to time. Time / space is derived from the attempt to construct materiality as a totally 'ordered' thing, because it isn't - it's not complete it's fluxing and moving, its own appearance and disappearance.

How I may as well only be a careful distinction, nonetheless I would say that there is confirmation within science. NIST timekeepers would seem to agree.
Yes, it was an unfortunate phrase, I should've left it out.

What does 'deconstruct the necessity of theistic transcendence' mean?

art is built into the ground
It's a nice line, whatever it means, but it's not one of mine :(

I think 'deconstruct the necessity of theistic transcendence' means that you think theistic transcendence is a fact, and you want to show why that must be so.

It's a nice line, whatever it means, but it's not one of mine :(

I think 'deconstruct the necessity of theistic transcendence' means that you think theistic transcendence is a fact, and you want to show why that must be so.

Yes I do.

And that is all that I am able to posit: because what you really did say is right,

Truth is a violent act in a material reality.

Truth is truth because it is not self-equivalent. It is true only insofar as it is not such. It is only true in the form of the distincion by which it constitutes itself - a 'material' reality.

Islam is the way, not because it is true, but because it is a form of chaos in the form. Thus, it is dialectically, metaphysical, right.

And that to which 'right' refers? Well, the oppressed are oppressed because ideology is a material force. They are oppressed because they posses that which their oppressor does not. What we have is the absolute right to murder our oppressor.

Moahammed told us the fable of the man who lit a fire around himself. It not so such illuminated him as blinded him.

Truth is a violent act in a material reality.

Truth is truth because it is not self-equivalent. It is true only insofar as it is not such. It is only true in the form of the distincion by which it constitutes itself - a 'material' reality.

Islam is the way, not because it is true, but because it is a form of chaos in the form. Thus, it is dialectically, metaphysical, right.

as the story goes:-

0 emanates to 1, 1 emanates and splits into 2 & 3 in blissful balance and then 3 emanates to 4, putting everything in chaos

maybe the psychological becomes chaotic without the balance of the material

0 emanates to 1, 1 emanates and splits into 2 & 3 in blissful balance and then 3 emanates to 4, putting everything in chaos

you got it all wrong.

multiplicity is immanent before one.

thus the 'one' enacts the multiplicities that constitute it as such. it expresses them.

And that to which 'right' refers? Well, the oppressed are oppressed because ideology is a material force. They are oppressed because they posses that which their oppressor does not. What we have is the absolute right to murder our oppressor.

does a wife who is oppressed have the right to murder her husband?

"Realising I was Nothing, I become One. Then, I could see there was a before and an after which made two; and the distinction between the two things made three."

But I was none of those three things, so there was four, and always going on beyond, fields of chaos beyond counting."

Back
Top Bottom