Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What Is The Meaning of Life and Humans?

I nearly became a father in my early 20s and was relieved, despite everything (it wasn't pleasant for either of us), when it didn't happen, and am pleased that I eventually found a partner who was equally uninterested in becoming a parent. The reason being that I could never see the purpose of bringing somebody who didn't have to be here into a world of suffering, where pleasures and satisfactions are fleeting even for the most positive of people, while the disppointments and heartaches last a lifetime. A world where they have only a very limited amount of control over their own life, and none whatsoever over what happens in the world at large. And where death makes a mockery of everything that went before, which occurred in a world where nobody can help but partipate in regurgitating the mistakes and resulting horrors of the past, and everybody, no matter how optimistic, can really believe that a definitive break with this tragicomedy will or can be made. And where the consciousness of impending death means psychic torture no matter how uncomfortable with the world an individual may be.

I fully recognise that this is a minority viewpoint, and how having kids gives meaning and structure to life, and how children bring joy to the parents. Without kids life has no clearly defined stages, and you continue to think as if you are still young even when your body and increasingly cynical mind tell you you're not. But having an ever- dwindling number who will grieve for me is a comfort. Grief is just another one of the tortures life offers.

Peter Wessel Zapffe and Thomas Ligotti are the guides...

To quote a mustachioed german fella I once read (no, not that guy) - "He who has a why to live for can bear almost any how".

Does life still have meaning if free will is merely an illusion?
So assuming we’re talking about finding meaning (as I described previously) rather than having meaning, yes. Because even using the strictest neuropsychological explanations that suggest free will is minimal, our brains are plastic and even small changes will change the available options they can take, depending on the circumstances that could lead to such change around us.
I nearly became a father in my early 20s and was relieved, despite everything (it wasn't pleasant for either of us), when it didn't happen, and am pleased that I eventually found a partner who was equally uninterested in becoming a parent. The reason being that I could never see the purpose of bringing somebody who didn't have to be here into a world of suffering, where pleasures and satisfactions are fleeting even for the most positive of people, while the disppointments and heartaches last a lifetime. A world where they have only a very limited amount of control over their own life, and none whatsoever over what happens in the world at large. And where death makes a mockery of everything that went before, which occurred in a world where nobody can help but partipate in regurgitating the mistakes and resulting horrors of the past, and everybody, no matter how optimistic, can really believe that a definitive break with this tragicomedy will or can be made. And where the consciousness of impending death means psychic torture no matter how uncomfortable with the world an individual may be.

I fully recognise that this is a minority viewpoint, and how having kids gives meaning and structure to life, and how children bring joy to the parents. Without kids life has no clearly defined stages, and you continue to think as if you are still young even when your body and increasingly cynical mind tell you you're not. But having an ever- dwindling number who will grieve for me is a comfort. Grief is just another one of the tortures life offers.

Peter Wessel Zapffe and Thomas Ligotti are the guides...
What we find meaning in is highly subjective and personal, and I also don’t think your viewpoint is that unusual. And I’m not going to disagree with your personal meaning making. So I’m more talking around something you raise than arguing with you, iyswim?

But just as any life will ultimately feature suffering at some points, suffering is intimately linked to meaning making. The achievements we feel most proud of are the ones we’ve worked hardest to get, and possibly made self sacrifices along the way. Our most meaningful relationships are often ones where we’ve had to work through ups and downs with them, or at least you’ve seen each others ups and downs. Difficult circumstances and events can make us realise what exactly is important to us. Periods of emotional struggle can lead us to self reflect and make changes we just don’t do when we’re content. Certain emotions, such as guilt* and embarrassment, actually bring us closer to the minds of others. And in history, there is compelling evidence that those who endured best through terrible times, did so in part by finding one part of their life that they could still find meaning in.

Which isn’t to say we should make kids or any of our fellow humans suffer, but more that the human capacity to withstand and endure is astonishing, and when there are helpful factors in there, to grow as a result.

I was told about one of the first YouTube stars who started a video diary thing and now has so much money he has a film company, and his job/life is filming himself do amazing things. My job is trying not to drown in my ridiculously understaffed role, supporting children and families at increasing levels of personal distress in the face of shrinking support services. I bet he looks forward to going to work more. But long term I’d find something like that so empty. It’s not surprising that a lot of financially privileged people do often talk about feelings of emptiness. My job is so hard at times, but it’s so rewarding when you make that change in someone’s life.

*not to be confused with shame

Last edited:
Socrates said that it is only in death that we are truly cured of the sickness of life
it seems - i cannot verify - that this is a fabricated socrates quote, in this instance.

it seems a given that the meaning of life varies from person to person. it's prettier to think of that as an aspect of needs and desires, instead of unique abilities and talents. but then what's the difference, and is finding "the meaning of life" just a different way to reframe yourself, another parergon for the canvas of who you really are.

Back
Top Bottom