Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Tim Pool. Investigative journalism in Sweden after Trump allegations on immigration problems

I could be suffering from confirmation bias. However, I have seen for myself how members of an anti capitalist left group, of which I was a member, reacted to a girl who said she had been groped by morrocans. They were outraged and turned on her. This impressed me and is continually confirmed to me as a trend on the left.

She was probably 'asking for it'.

Oh no, wait. erm. erm. I mean...

How dare you come on here, polluting Urban's oasis of right-on-ness with your personal experiences. You're a fascist, you are!

The far-right Sweden Democrat party is topping the polls in Sweden it seems, looking at today's press, if there were an election now they would get around a quarter of the vote, making them the largest political force in the country based on the polls. :hmm: They appear to have doubled their support from the 2014 election.

The Social Democratic Workers’ Party who currently run a minority coalition government have fallen to just 9 points, the next election in Sweden is in September 2018 and the Sweden Democrat party could be in power if they join with other right-wing parties :eek:

Just over the bridge the Danish People's Party have become the 2nd largest party

Which poll and what press? Try opinion.se and you will get completely different numbers.

Last edited:
Which poll and what press? Try opinion.se and you will get completely different numbers.

This is the latest polls from opinion.se Socialdemokraterna still largest party (and even increased since last year) and SD third largest party. View attachment 103228
The YouGov poll was taken a few days ago and shows the Sweden Democrats ahead on 23.9% with the governing Social Democrats on 22%, very different to the poll you showed which puts them on only 16.7% (March 1017).

I was talking to a Swedish friend on Skype yesterday who said it was one of the top news items on the news in Sweden, which is why I looked it up, the 2 links below are just Two of many links saying the same if you look at Google-news (I didn't make it up :) )

Links from British press Link1 & Link2

Not saying the rise of the far right in Sweden isn't both very concerning and frankly depressing, as it is wherever the far right is gaining ground - ie across much of northern Europe. But unless something massive changes, there's zero chance of them forming a government in 2018 even if they're the biggest party - they are ostracised by all the other parties, which would be more likely to form a grand coalition than contemplate letting the SDs into power.

That said, a consistent pattern is emerging here, with the far right polling hovering just above or below 20 per cent in a great many countries.
There is zero chance of them forming a government on their own but to claim there is zero chance of them forming a government in coalition is wrong, there is a chance, not a massive chance but the way things are going in Sweden at the moment it is sadly possible. The issue isn't really can they form a government but how are they affecting other parties policies, if we look at Holland the far-right there have shaped the policy's of the leading party, Geert Wilders party has forced Mark Ruttes party to take a more right-wing view on a number of issues, the highest profile of these is immigration.

Pickman's model you liked Tobo's post with his poll, but my post 424 above shows evidence that my figures are right in the YouGov poll and very different to his, so like my post as well or I'll stamp my foot :mad:

Edit to add.

The YouGov poll was taken a few days ago and shows the Sweden Democrats ahead on 23.9% with the governing Social Democrats on 22%, very different to the poll you showed which puts them on only 16.7% (March 1017).

I was talking to a Swedish friend on Skype yesterday who said it was one of the top news items on the news in Sweden, which is why I looked it up, the 2 links below are just Two of many links saying the same if you look at Google-news (I didn't make it up :) )

Links from British press Link1 & Link2

I understand : )
The YouGov poll has been criticised as it is not using random persons but persons that volunteered on a webbpanel and that affects the result. The Opinon.se uses numbers from SIFO (Svenska institutet för opinionsundersökningar) that are using randomized persons that are different from poll to poll. It is known to be a more accurate sourse in Sweden. The SwedenDemocrats though love to use the numbers from YouGov as it usually gives them higher numbers. The Swedish Television, Swedish Radio and many other newsmedia normally don´t trust the numbers from YouGov to be reliable.

I give you a link here to Dagens Nyheter (most read newpaper in Sweden)
it´s in Swedish though : ) but you can have a look at the chart (they are using Ipsos an other poll)
DN/Ipsos: M mindre än SD för första gången - DN.SE

Last edited:
Tobo I'd like to see more data from both polls as a 7.2% difference on polls taken at "around" the same time seem like a very big difference. It would be interesting to understand how these polls were taken (phone, 'net, on the street and where etc) and also what were all the questions asked. I have looked but am unable to see much more detail than is posted here

I understand : )
The YouGov poll has been criticised as it is not using random persons but persons that volunteered on a webbpanel and that affects the result. The Opinon.se uses numbers from SIFO (Svenska institutet för opinionsundersökningar) that are using randomized persons that are different from poll to poll. It is known to be a more accurate sourse in Sweden. The SwedenDemocrats though love to use the numbers from YouGov as it usually gives them higher numbers. The Swedish Television, Swedish Radio and many other newsmedia normally don´t trust the numbers from YouGov to be reliable.
Its interesting you say YouGov have been criticized as I thought they were one of the more accurate polling companies, but opinion polls are just that, someones opinion at the time of being asked, it will be interesting to see how the SD do in the real poll in 2018 and more interestingly how their policies effect other parties policy's

Its interesting you say YouGov have been criticized as I thought they were one of the more accurate polling companies, but opinion polls are just that, someones opinion at the time of being asked, it will be interesting to see how the SD do in the real poll in 2018 and more interestingly how their policies effect other parties policy's

Well we just have to wait and see.
The Ipsos and SIFO are done both on phone and website, random persons.
The big issue in Sweden press discussing the latest polls, was the rise in numbers for Centerpartiet that is a conservative party but in favour of a more generous immigration policy than for example Moderaterna or Sverige Demokraterna. Moderaterna just declared their willingness to negotiate with SverigeDemokraterna and that backlashed on their numbers. Conservative voters went from Moderaterna to Centerpartiet and also a few to Sverige Demokraterna

Well we just have to wait and see.
The Ipsos and SIFO are done both on phone and website, random persons.
The big issue in Sweden press discussing the latest polls, was the rise in numbers for Centerpartiet that is a conservative party but in favour of a more generous immigration policy than for example Moderaterna or Sverige Demokraterna. Moderaterna just declared their willingness to negotiate with SverigeDemokraterna and that backlashed on their numbers. Conservative voters went from Moderaterna to Centerpartiet and also a few to Sverige Demokraterna
So the Sweden Democrats could be in Government if they joined with the conservative Moderate Party (Anna Kinberg Batra's party) and the Christian Democrats*, if they got the numbers, (*The Christian Democrats seem to have a strange position on all this, they appear to be saying they would go into coalition with conservative Moderate Party and the SD but wouldn't negotiate with the SD, not sure how that would/could work)

It looks like Norway, Finland, Denmark and Sweden are all moving to the right and a more anti-immigration and anti-EU stance.

So the Sweden Democrats could be in Government if they joined with the conservative Moderate Party (Anna Kinberg Batra's party) and the Christian Democrats*, if they got the numbers, (*The Christian Democrats seem to have a strange position on all this, they appear to be saying they would go into coalition with conservative Moderate Party and the SD but wouldn't negotiate with the SD, not sure how that would/could work)

It looks like Norway, Finland, Denmark and Sweden are all moving to the right and a more anti-immigration and anti-EU stance.

Kristdemokraterna maybe don´t get enough votes to count. You have to get at least 4 % of the votes to enter the Parliament. Liberalerna and Centerpartiet doesn´t want to form a government together with Sverige Demokraterna. So it´s complicated. They tried to govern togheter with Sverige Demokraterna in a town called Hässleholm a couple of weeks ago and it was a mess. The seats of Sverige Demokraterna are now empty as they quit. Their politicians can´t be taken seriously

what form is norway's anti-eu stance taking?

Also exists the possibility that Centerpartiet forms government together with Socialdemokraterna as they did in the 90´s.

what form is norway's anti-eu stance taking?
Norway voted massively against joining the EU but are a member of the EEA and also the Schengen area, so the form anti-EU feeling is taking in Norway is anti-Schengen which is really anti-immigration, the right-wing Progress party are doing much better in the polls now than at the time of the last election. Last December two polls put them as the largest party with just over 34% of the vote.

Also exists the possibility that Centerpartiet forms government together with Socialdemokraterna as they did in the 90´s.
I'm having a drink with a Swedish friend tonight, he is from Ludvika. I'll try and get him to give me a rundown on what's going on in his view :)

Norway voted massively against joining the EU but are a member of the EEA and also the Schengen area, so the form anti-EU feeling is taking in Norway is anti-Schengen which is really anti-immigration, the right-wing Progress party are doing much better in the polls now than at the time of the last election. Last December two polls put them as the largest party with just over 34% of the vote.
They're down to 15% now. And people are not anti Schengen overall.

They're down to 15% now. And people are not anti Schengen overall.
No-one is claiming that they are anti-Schengen "overall", we are talking about the rise of anti-immigration party's and anti-EU feeling in the region, and the effect of their policies on other political parties. I understand the drop in support for the Progress Party is in direct proportion to the drop in the number of immigrants to the country, it has gone down but could also go up.

No-one is claiming that they are anti-Schengen "overall", we are talking about the rise of anti-immigration party's and anti-EU feeling in the region, and the effect of their policies on other political parties. I understand the drop in support for the Progress Party is in direct proportion to the drop in the number of immigrants to the country, it has gone down but could also go up.
Pretty sure you just did say that.

Pretty sure you just did say that.
Then maybe you should read what I wrote again. I said they voted against joining the EU massively and that there is a rise in anti-Schengen (and anti-immigrant) feeling, a rise doesn't mean "overall" or majority. The two polls I mentioned from December are there for everyone to see. Link

Are you claiming it is wrong to say there is an increase in support for right-wing and anti-immigration party's in the region?

Last edited:
Then maybe you should read what I wrote again. I said they voted against joining the EU massively and that there is a rise in anti-Schengen (and anti-immigrant) feeling, a rise doesn't mean "overall" or majority. The two polls I mentioned from December are there for everyone to see. Link

Are you claiming it is wrong to say there is an increase in support for right-wing and anti-immigration party's in the region?
That's odd, the latest poll I can find has the progress party on 10%

pollofpolls.no - Sentio for Dagens Næringsliv 23. mars 2017

Last edited:
No-one has disputed the poll or figures you posted. In fact I acknowledged the point.

Maybe you could explain your post "Pretty sure you just did say that" better, I could be misunderstand the point you are trying to make
You claimed that Norwegians were anti schengen, which there's no proof of. Are they more opposed to non Western immigration? Yes I think so. But that hasn't translated into a massive rise in support for far right parties.

You claimed that Norwegians were anti schengen, which there's no proof of. Are they more opposed to non Western immigration? Yes I think so. But that hasn't translated into a massive rise in support for far right parties.
No I claimed SOME Norwegians are anti-Schengen and anti-immigration and I haven't spoken about a massive rise I have said "a rise".

As I thought you didn't read my posts you saw what you wanted to see and not what is written.

house_effect.png
Tobo I'd like to see more data from both polls as a 7.2% difference on polls taken at "around" the same time seem like a very big difference. It would be interesting to understand how these polls were taken (phone, 'net, on the street and where etc) and also what were all the questions asked. I have looked but am unable to see much more detail than is posted here

you can actually use pollofpolls.se to compare the different polls. the smaller the columns are the better accuracy

Pollofpolls.se

That'd be just before the Great Cnut Takeover then. :eek:

No I claimed SOME Norwegians are anti-Schengen and anti-immigration and I haven't spoken about a massive rise I have said "a rise".

As I thought you didn't read my posts you saw what you wanted to see and not what is written.
Nah you're full of shit as usual. You said Norwegians had massively voted against the EU, which is bullshit. You claimed poll support for far right parties had tracked immigration levels, also bullshit, and you claimed that Norwegians were anti Schengen, also bullshit.

Back
Top Bottom