Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Those by-elections (potential and otherwise) in full

Yes fuck the tories, yes Starmer is fucking awful but what does this actually mean for the rest of the country going forward?
Those of us who want anything but any more of the tories?

I remember arguing with historically labour voting friends/acquaintances who didn't like Corbyn (for whatever reasons) and didn't want to vote for him.
I remember begging them to, to get the tories out and then go from there.

Now I feel we're in the same position again but it's a labour leader I don't like.

It's all utterly fucking depressing :(

Yes fuck the tories, yes Starmer is fucking awful but what does this actually mean for the rest of the country going forward?

I remember arguing with historically labour voting friends/acquaintances who didn't like Corbyn (for whatever reasons) and didn't want to vote for him.
I remember begging them to, to get the tories out and then go from there.

Now I feel we're in the same position again but it's a labour leader I don't like.

It's all utterly fucking depressing :(
Same here, tired of being called a Tory enabler. I can't and won't vote shammer.
Fucking reform got more than labour in Somerset. I. Give. Up.

Very little.
Despite the chattering classes trying to big these by-elections up they are not that important.

There might have been some talk about replacing Sunak if the Tories had lost all three but I'm not sure it would come to anything and the party is still divided. Whatever happens in Selby Starmer is not going to see a challenge to his leadership. Davey gets to look big (the twat) but again it was never going to really affect his leadership.
It was always going to be a bit of theatre.

The Labour leader said: "This is a historic result that shows that people are looking at Labour and seeing a changed party that is focused entirely on the priorities of working people with an ambitious, practical plan to deliver.
From the Sky report. Still fighting factional battles in his head. Jumping up and down on the corpse of dead Corbyn the priority.

From the Sky report. Still fighting factional battles in his head. Jumping up and down on the corpse of dead Corbyn the priority.
Well given the Uxbridge result its all he's got.

The Uxbridge result does support my theory that Khan is less an absolute shoe in than some think. I suspect he'll get his third term, but if the Tories were able to get a candidate that is not absolute shit, and the election was separate from the GE I think they could make it a contest.

Coming up:
*Rutherglen and Hamilton West (successful recall petition)
*Mid Bedfordshire (the ongoing psychodrama of the UK's bargain bin version of Marjorie Taylor Greene)

Very likely:
*Tamworth (strong rumours that Christopher "Pincher" Pincher will resign this week rather than the humiliation of a recall petition)

Coming up:
*Mid Bedfordshire (the ongoing psychodrama of the UK's bargain bin version of Marjorie Taylor Greene)

Very likely:
*Tamworth (strong rumours that Christopher "Pincher" Pincher will resign this week rather than the humiliation of a recall petition)
The mp for Walsall north is meant to be going to the tamworth seat at the next election, so Tories could have 2 more by elections

The Uxbridge result does support my theory that Khan is less an absolute shoe in than some think. I suspect he'll get his third term, but if the Tories were able to get a candidate that is not absolute shit, and the election was separate from the GE I think they could make it a contest.
That's a very big if tbf.

Coming up:

Very likely:

And he's gone.

That's a very big if tbf.
Well given the Uxbridge result its all he's got.

What the Uxbridge result shows (and indeed all three show) is that destroying the local Labour Party in order to parachute in a reliable leadership loyalist candidate does not work. Also that Steve Reed is a crap campaign organiser. According to former Uxbridge CLP people the problem is that Reed knew nothing about the area or local issues, didn't listen to anyone who did, and did the usual Labour right thing when the Tories brought up ULEZ as an issue and tried to hang it on somebody outside of his faction in the Party (Sadiq Khan) rather than turning it on the Tories. However it was probably seen as a total success by the Party leadership because it weakened a major political figure in the Labour Party that Starmer sees as a potential rival, and largely eliminated the left in the Uxbridge CLP.

The BBC website has a story about SNP MP Lisa Cameron defecting to the Tories, and "not ruling out" resigning to trigger a by-election.
Doesn't strike me as a wise move, this close to an election where all the current signs are that the Tories will get their arses kicked.

Defecting rather than causing a by-election seems easier/cowardly/convenient/delete as applicable. Can't imagine, after Rutherglen, that the SNP would a fancy a by-election.

Seems like she really must have a grudge against her local and national party to quit and defect.

I would assume Labour would have pole position there if there was a by but I guess if it's a three way race the outcome might be slightly less clear

Back
Top Bottom