Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

This week in your Kitchen Garden.

Weve been off out and got some reed fencing to (hopefully) fence off the veggies, some canes for the beans and to hold up the reed fencing until my fence posts arrive sometime this week and some garden netting to keep the birds off various crops

and we got some log roll edging to mark our bunnys grave... we buried him today:( weve made it into a sort of raised bed so we can plant some flowers on it. Weve put a pretty windmill on it for now:(

what?

that's just heartless and cruel, I prefer to nuture the little ones to health like a little project.
you great idiot :D

you'll have to come to mine and see the aces allotment :cool: when we met with the council they said the only thing we couldn't do was have a party of 20+ people all smoking weed cos then the neighbours ring them and complain and they then have to do something :D can tell we live in the city :D :hmm:

Putting our seed order in next week! *Excited*

Leeping our eyes open for some dead logs as well, to plant mushroom plugs. :)

you great idiot :D

you'll have to come to mine and see the aces allotment :cool: when we met with the council they said the only thing we couldn't do was have a party of 20+ people all smoking weed cos then the neighbours ring them and complain and they then have to do something can tell we live in the city
n-n-n-n-nineteen-n-n-nineteen.... the average size of the party crowd at aqua's allotment was nineteen... n-n-nineteen...;):cool:

and yes, I will have to come visiting soon:cool:

My seed potatoes and planter arrived this morning, along with some more seeds.
So Ive got to put the spuds in this week and also sort out the fencing for my veggie patch, at least temporarily

The 'dig in' seeds arrived today too so will transplant our seedings then plant those

I'm still waiting for mine :(

We had a 60ft leylandii taken out of our garden last week - the difference in light is amazing, I'm loving it. But what I'm loving more is the fact that they left a tall stump and carved it into a throne :) :cool:

Now the beast is out of the way we can fence off half the garden (to keep the dogs at one end) and start marking out the veg plot. Hoping for some good weather for the Easter weekend so we can get on with it.

Ive decided I need to fence off my decking which shouldnt be too difficult if I do it at the same sort of time as the veggie patch... I need to keep it chicken shit free... I like the little buggers but its a complete pain in the arse not being able to sit out in the sun or keep the deck shit free:(

Well i couldn't wait to order some seeds, so i raided Wilko's today! :D

I'll be cutting up toilet rolls tomoro and sowing :

Runner beans
Dwarf french beans
Mangetout
Carrots
Leeks
Broccoli (calabrese and purple sprouting)
Broad beans
Cauliflower
Spinach
Kale
Thyme
Chives
And red onions (sets)

Got some flowers for the front garden as well, including nasturtiums, and marigolds for round the edges of the veg plots. Gonna try and sow a few every couple of weeks so we don't end up with a glut...if they grow at all!

Wish me luck...haven't done this for quite a while! :D

this year i am taking it easy and down sizing to two plots. mulched gooseberries, blackcurrents, red currents,blackberries and raspberries today tided up the shed. double checked the frogspawn ( tons of it) just waiting for a nice day to dig over a bit more ground, hopefully tomorrow should be good. i whack most things in at the start of april and it usually goes fine, what ever dont show no signs of life after a few weeks. i stick more in. carrots are the only thing i wait till after june for the carrot fly to fuck off

never really had much luck with delicate herbs on the plot so this year all the basil,corriander and the like so i will keep it on me balcony way out the reach of slugs and snails

V. excited. It's my first go at this gardening bizness. I am planting tomatoes (cherry, normal), and opium poppies with wild strawberry ground cover.

The weather's horrid, so I'm concentrating on seed-sowing indoors today.

I cycled down to the garden centre and spent £25 on seeds. :facepalm:

Being set in my ways, I settled on Alicante and Gardener's delight for tomatoes, but I've gone for two kinds of Italian sweet peppers - one largeish type for stuffing, and a pointy one for char-grilling and chomping raw. I also bought aubergine and Okra seeds.

For my 10 foot by 2 foot raised salad bed, I got two kinds of mixed salad, baby beets, baby carrots and spring onions.

I'm planning on setting up automatic watering for the greenhouse in case I manage to get to the beach for a week this summer.

I also plan to grow runner beans and courgettes at the end of the greenhouse .. leaving me with a 10 foot by 2 foot shady bed. I suppose what I really ought to do is move the path two feet to the side ... as I never knew what to do with that bed alongside the fence ...

Thereafter is the dilemma of how much bamboo I can afford to keep ...

kitchengarden.jpg

http://sites.google.com/site/gentlegreen/the-great-garden-recovery-of-2010

Well the weather here has been endlessly shite so I still havent managed to do the fencing GRRR

But I did spend an hour scraping up chicken manure so Im chucking it all on the garden... I intend repotting my seedlings while the weather is as crap as this and then get to planting some more. Im going to plant corriander, parsley and basil to grow in a window box indoors and some salad leaves too this week- again in containers

Glad I hadnt planted stuff out last week to have it decimated by the frost

I've sowed a dozen edibles indoors in my bottom heat seed starter thingy - compost temp currently 17 degrees C - I ought to meter the electricity I'm using - but I long ago decided that it made more sense to do this sort of thing indoors than out in a draughty greenhouse - also I'm planning to be strictly 12 volts out there and there would be the challenge to supply enough current.

I'll probably shell out for a ready-made tomato / pepper plant or two later seeing as I've started a bit late.

I hope that none of the dust-like ornamental tobacco seeds I sowed at the same time don't pop up in the salad mixes. :hmm: - being rather toxic - I've also sown two kinds of datura, and brugmansia will follow shortly.
How I've lasted the past 8 years without their amazing citrus fragrance I don't know ...

http://www.brugmansia.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/eveningfragrancelowres.jpg

you should be fine planting tomatoes from seed now. However Ive never had too much luck with peppers.... gotta be a first time I guess. Gonna try again this year.

i really should be starting things going, but with nowhere to keep them, and with the weather still being so up and down, i haven't been able to get down the allotment often enough, so i'm gunna be a bit behind... hopefully this Easter hols will lend me the opportunity to get something done! :)

Hopefully, I should get pots, cabbages, red onions, beetroot, and pumpkins going this year.. oh, and some blueberries and raspberries!! maybe some strawberries, courgettes and toms aswell if i'm lucky :)

I just popped outside between rain showers to chisel the last bit of invading bamboo from my veggie bed and the local tomcat had left a large offering on the newly raked soil. :mad:

I'm going to have to pick up some black (i.e. discreet) netting that will keep him off my veggies without spoiling my minimalist garden.

I fear I may have to go the whole hog and cough up for an ultrasonic cat scarer as, much as I dearly loved my two cats, it's been 10 years, and these days I'm much more into having birds in my garden.

i've just planted my first veggies ever!

all in pots as we only have a patio garden.
i say pots, they are big plastic laundry baskets i got in the garden centre with some holes drilled in the bottom.

salad potatoes, lettuce and some carrots

*subscribes to thread*

Yay for Dan! :D

There is a new Kitchen Gardening show starting in the week.

The Edible Garden,
BBC Two, Wednesday @ 8pm

It features Alys Fowler and her Birmingham backgarden.

My rhubarb is thrusting forth nicely. All the fruit bushes are coming into leaf :)
By the way, soft fruit bushes (raspberries, redcurrants, whitecurrants and gooseberries) on offer in Lidl this week...they look good.

Oh,and I'm about to do an experiment involving chitted pink fir apple, compost and a bin bag. I bought the pink fir apple for eating from Brixton Farmers Market last year and very delicious they were too. I just kept back three and popped them on the sitting room bookcase by the back door and left them to it...they're going in during the next 3 or 4 days.

I may have to pop down to Lidl then - seeing as goosegogs is the best I can think of for my shady bed ...

I need ideas to germinate old, old beans (10 + years old praps) or should I just chuck 'em?

Pea- hurst greenshaft
Dwarf bean - Canadian wonder.

Oh,and I'm about to do an experiment involving chitted pink fir apple, compost and a bin bag. I bought the pink fir apple for eating from Brixton Farmers Market last year and very delicious they were too. I just kept back three and popped them on the sitting room bookcase by the back door and left them to it...they're going in during the next 3 or 4 days.

Pink Fir Apple is the king of salad potatoes - i grew a load last year and they were just fantastic - fresh and creamy, they are just incomparable when freshly dug up. Good luck :)

Yay for Dan! :D

There is a new Kitchen Gardening show starting in the week.

The Edible Garden,
BBC Two, Wednesday @ 8pm

It features Alys Fowler and her Birmingham backgarden.
I *loved* this show! It was so cute and gorgeous :) I loved her hair, her glasses and her clothes and her lovely way with consonants.
And the way her face creases when she is being serious and how she looks about 15 when she smiles.

I have a crush.:cool:

Oh and a fabulous, rich and abundant garden- it fairly rippled with fecundity.
Loved the home made trellis and woven plant supports sooo much.
I would soak them overnight and sow them indoors with bottom heat.

I did a google and some were suggesting that soaking them in nitrate fertilser can help ...

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/legumes/msg0420244518925.html

Done!! Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom