Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

This week in your Kitchen Garden.

I shall have fun with these this afternoon! I'm impressed with the delivery time as I ordered them at close to midnight last Thursday and they arrived at 11am today :)

These are going in today! The borlotti (bush), spagna (butter) & runner (rampant!) beans, as well as the romaine lettuce (for caesar salad - yum!) and spinach (a fave with IP Jnr, and I'll be lucky to get to cook any as he picks and eats it raw). Carrots and beets are going into the legumes/onions/shallot bed. Rampant legumes are going behind the tomatoes in specially added compost with thick cardboard lining the pan to help to keep the moisture in as fences are really terrible for growing things against.

Photo%2B0865.jpg

I'm envious of the size of your garden IP. Outside of the odd tinker to the outdoor pots and planters there's not much I can do now, a little rotation aside. Finally got the windowsills under more control by giving away a couple of more batches of chilli plants. Some bigger pots are on their way and I'll repot some of the bigger strains in time for Glastonbury to give them and their roots more space. Next year I'll use the walls and vertical plant a little.

On the plus side I've finally replaced the cat/fox/fuckingannoyingdiggingthing damaged plants with some more specimens from the propagator inside. Thai, holy and aristotle basil, plus Nigel's Outdoor Chilli (that's its name, honest), and some epazote have made it outside. Replacing the coriander largely which, after much root disruption, seems to have bolted early unsurprisingly. The epazote - great with Mexican bean dishes in particular - is a bloody slow grower. Reckon it's been indoors since Feb or thereabouts and it's only now beginning to prosper. It's like a slow growing weed of a thing.

My tomato leaves are curling.

The thing is, the curling doesn't match the descriptions of curling problems on google - the bottom leaves are curling up and the top leaves curling down :mad:

I found this video on pruning tomatoes useful - don't know if it sheds light on your leaf curl:

[video]http://www.videojug.com/player?id=bd8d9ed6-04cc-f887-95c5-ff0008c9799c[/video]

I'm envious of the size of your garden IP. Outside of the odd tinker to the outdoor pots and planters there's not much I can do now, a little rotation aside. Finally got the windowsills under more control by giving away a couple of more batches of chilli plants. Some bigger pots are on their way and I'll repot some of the bigger strains in time for Glastonbury to give them and their roots more space. Next year I'll use the walls and vertical plant a little.

On the plus side I've finally replaced the cat/fox/fuckingannoyingdiggingthing damaged plants with some more specimens from the propagator inside. Thai, holy and aristotle basil, plus Nigel's Outdoor Chilli (that's its name, honest), and some epazote have made it outside. Replacing the coriander largely which, after much root disruption, seems to have bolted early unsurprisingly. The epazote - great with Mexican bean dishes in particular - is a bloody slow grower. Reckon it's been indoors since Feb or thereabouts and it's only now beginning to prosper. It's like a slow growing weed of a thing.

I'm impressed with your chilli-growing expertise :) Mine seem likely to become a late disappointment.

Just found another four buckets - I think carrots for these ...
I need to buy some parsnip seeds so I can sow a bucket for the winterval family celebration
Thinking of planting up some more potato bags too before it's too late.

Mum gave me four planters and an obelisk - which I'm planting up with beans for dad's use only :)
Have made four sets of 'obelisk' canes in the front garden, and am just waiting for the new climbing beans to germinate ... I'm sowing the bush borlotti in the front garden too - vegelicious (mainly because most of the flower seeds I bought for that area of the front garden can't be sown until autumn, and won't be in flower until next spring-summer).

I now have a Basil plant in my kitchen, which was put to use in my pasta dish last night, and very tasty too. But someone gave me a mint plant, and apart form mint tea (which I don't drink), I don't know what else to use mint for.

i've come back from not *really* being home for a bit, and my plantlings have gone MENTAL :) my spud sprouted, my cucumbers, corgettes and pumpkin are thriving, the runner beans are running, the broccoli and sprouts are bushy as heck, i've just finished eating most of my peas, and my herbs are springing forth like nobody's business :)
the only mild casualty was the strawberry plant (everything ripened before i got chance to eat it). oh, and the pixie clematis. but it might be ok :hmm:

I now have a Basil plant in my kitchen, which was put to use in my pasta dish last night, and very tasty too. But someone gave me a mint plant, and apart form mint tea (which I don't drink), I don't know what else to use mint for.

homemade mint sauce :)
mint icecream? :hmm:

But someone gave me a mint plant, and apart form mint tea (which I don't drink), I don't know what else to use mint for.

Use it with new potatoes, peas, in lots of greek dishes, riatas, yoghurt dips, chocolate cakes and biscuits... and mojitos :)

That's a smooth green snake.

I read that as a smooth green shake. Has anyone tried a mint milkshake?

I am finding it hard to love the mint, the basil smells great, but the mint smells a bit like cat piss to me (although no cat has pissed on it).
I've been chewing the odd leaf, but remain uninspired by it, a riata appeals to me the most and I'm still not overly keen.

I want to grow some dill and rosemary, are they easy to grow?

:hmm: who can't love mint?

btw, I *think* that was a smooth green snake. Either way - they're so unreal looking they look like a confectioners creation - mint taffy! I want to put them into my mouth.

swede, turnip, romaine lettuce have germinated. they'll be ready to transplant into the brassica bed soon (which only has radish and garlic in presently). the cabbages are also ready to transplant.

i'm transplanting the lavender into hedges which will flank the paths in the front garden at the moment and it looks like rain! this involves pulling out the hypericum (st. john's wort), which I'm heeling into another bed if it has a good rootstock, to colonise the bin-area along the fence at the entrance to the back garden. i've discovered three more ferns and what I think could be lonicera (honeysuckle). death to all ivy though - hate the stuff as it was everywhere when I first moved here and reminds me of victorian graveyards.

my little robin pal was with me for most of the morning, watching me from the handle of my fork :)

In B&Q a cpl of months ago we bought some peppers for 10p in the plants about to die section, now we have 3 plants with 3 or 4 of these babies on them, didn't expect anything from them this year at all.

Attachments

• DSCF3843.jpg
    DSCF3843.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 2
Is it possible to treat it with some baking soda spray or will that kill the leaves too?

I've gotten rid of powdery mildew with 1tbs of baking soda to a quart of water.

I did read that as a solution but went with the rather more brutal method of removal... :D

There are a few I left alone which are showing *slight* signs of it, so will try that for them (since it's actually WORKED for you)! :cool:

(I also saw a dilution of a one part organic milk!!! to five to ten of water :hmm: )

Use it with new potatoes, peas, in lots of greek dishes, riatas, yoghurt dips, chocolate cakes and biscuits... and mojitos :)
of course :facepalm: and pimms... definitely on the cards for next weekend.

My chillies are doing well... have three super, one chenzo, and the habanero plant is growing well but yet to flower. Does anyone know when I should pick them? :hmm:

Lavender out the front is very happy (I'm sure I can use it in some sort of cooking?), thyme not so happy, but either parsley or corriander has just sprouted :cool:

of Lavender out the front is very happy (I'm sure I can use it in some sort of cooking?), thyme not so happy, but either parsley or corriander has just sprouted :cool:

You can put some lavender in a container of sugar and leave it for a while to impart it's scent. Then use the sugar in biscuits, cakes etc.

hmmm... I've had rosemary shortbread recently and that was lovely, but am thinking lavender might seem a bit perfumey :hmm:

So, is this coriander or parsley? :D

5876449141_9e2f8b6bcd.jpg

our broad beans are ready to go.
strawberries been slow, although we planted them late.
spring onions almost ready.

leeks, carrots and garlic plodding along.

my landlady has sorted out her greenhouse (her ex used it for chickens, bizarrely, and it was full of shit) and she has kindly given us some space and we've planted tomatos, butternut squash, courgette and peppers. all going along nicely at the moment.

eta - i have temporary custody of the chickens and ducks whilst a custody battle/suitable rehousing situation is fought/found. bring on eggs for a few weeks!

Back
Top Bottom