Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

This week in your Kitchen Garden.

Aye. The perils of patronising the local garden centre. They sell propagator kits at about twice the price for exactly the same item at Robert Dyas :facepalm:

I tried your tip on compost in the 99p shop, though - very good. Exactly the same multipurpose compost at the garden centre, but 99p for 15L :cool:

Glad to be of service :cool:

I always get my pots down Wilkinson's, I think there's one in Lewisham. :) they didn't have any troughs left in the 99p shop which I'm annoyed about, not sure where to get one which doesn't cost a fiver or more for plastic. :rolleyes:

*plots to go to Mothers and steal one out of her garden* :D

No Wilkos in Lewisham Zenie. But there is a Poundland and a 99p store.

Compost wise- Pounstretcher (there is one in Peckham?) have 20 ltr compost bags for 89p and grow bags for £1.29.

Time to pull up the hoodie and get out the old lady shopping trolley.

No Wilkos in Lewisham Zenie. But there is a Poundland and a 99p store.

Compost wise- Pounstretcher (there is one in Peckham?) have 20 ltr compost bags for 89p and grow bags for £1.29.

Time to pull up the hoodie and get out the old lady shopping trolley.

A girl after my own heart :cool::D

My local Nettos have 55ltr bags of John Innes stuff at £2.99 each or 2 for a fiver... so i'm gunna nick one of their trolleys to wheel them onto the allotment about 5 mins away from the store ;)

oooh yes VERY pretty. where can i get some??? :cool:

You can get them from Crocus or wherever, but you're probably best growing it from seed as it dies if you leave the seedheads to mature - which you'll probably want to eventually - thereafter I would guess it would self-seed as these things make lots of seeds.:)

I got three of those for my strawberries... they are recovering after the chickens munched them to nothing but not hopeful really that they will fruit now!!! GRRR

I planted out my courgette plants today, I have 4 in now. The french beans are almost ready to plant out. Got to get the raspberry canes ( I think thats what they are anyway!) in the garden tomorrow.

The lettuce is going great guns in the window box, we had a massive salad from it tonight

I've found an excuse to grow mint - something I rarely use. I bought a selection of herbs in Aldi and it's predictably trying to take over the tub, so I'll probably move it to the end of the garden where a family of blue tits are appreciating the fat balls I've hung there. I'm also trying them on mealworms ...

But on Springwatch the other day they showed blue tits taking mint to the nest to use as a disinfectant - so I put some on the bird table to see if they go for it, and if they do, maybe I'll replant my mint down there. There's the beginnings of a pond I started digging, so I'll see if I can't get that underway in spite of the huge pile (8 cubic metres) of ex-jungle I have stacked alongside it. I'll have to drive some stakes in to get it under control.

I squidged a dozen slugs between two bricks this morning. :(

At least it wasn't as horrible as doing it to the two dozen mice I caught a few years back.....

Ooof, I remember your mouse-aggeddon!
There was a night when you were catching one every hour or so! :D

Another courgette has gone all leathery and keeled over. Four of the squash tray I repotted, plus those melon seedlings are looking like they wont survive the day either. Again, they have literally keeled over.
I topped up their trays with the dregs of a (brand new) grow bag I was emptying into a container. What could have been the problem?

I checked my cherry tree this morning and there is barely any fruit still on it. If I dont get a single cherry this year, that tree is coming down.

Do you get male and female cherry trees? :hmm:

Wondering if it's that that's all....

My Italian Salad has gone crazy in the seed tray, gonna have to plant it soon. :D

Another courgette has gone all leathery and keeled over. Four of the squash tray I repotted, plus those melon seedlings are looking like they wont survive the day either. Again, they have literally keeled over.
I topped up their trays with the dregs of a (brand new) grow bag I was emptying into a container. What could have been the problem?

The cucumber family need to go in bigger pots sooner than most.

I sow mine in my usual teeny pots, but they go up to 1 litre pots within a week, and up a size again a couple of weeks later ...

I think my birds are great tits, but I reckon they took some of the mint.
They've certainly moved it about on the bird table.

Perhaps we could teach birds the habit by offering aromatic herbs to them.

vine weevil :(

I just dispatched an adult vine weevil that was sitting on the leaves of my newly-rooted hop plant.

:(

Ive got a swelling just above my elbow :( Was out and about first thing digging up some alliums and dwarf tulips when my arm felt slightly uncomfortable.

I looked down and found some petals and a small slug stuck there! A slug! On my arm!

One faffy, arm waving horror dance later and I have a smooth raised swelling.
Am I going to have slug babies hatching from my arm?

I didnt even kill him. My eyes were too busy rolling up into the back of my head.

Actually I have a series of small bites on my shoulder. Aphids keep landing on me.

DSC00084.jpg

The herb patch is coming along well. The pic above's of one half of one of the two balconies and misses out fair few other pots, including the bay tree and coriander plantation. Some holy and lime basils should go in this week and it's all getting seriously productive and pleasant to cook with.

The back balcony's laden with chillies (7 types), tomatoes, courgettes and some carrots. Lots of flowers all around and a few enticing looking jalapenos already

Yep, and it needs a damn good clean up. In mitigation the builders have just finished the lift area, so it may actually be worth it now there's not grime aplenty landing.

Ive got a swelling just above my elbow :( Was out and about first thing digging up some alliums and dwarf tulips when my arm felt slightly uncomfortable.

I looked down and found some petals and a small slug stuck there! A slug! On my arm!

One faffy, arm waving horror dance later and I have a smooth raised swelling.
Am I going to have slug babies hatching from my arm?

I didnt even kill him. My eyes were too busy rolling up into the back of my head.

Actually I have a series of small bites on my shoulder. Aphids keep landing on me.

:D:D

:oops:

I accidentally left my cloche and greenhouse open last night, so think I might have killed my melons and PSB seedlings.....the seedlings are not such bad news, obv and actually the melons in the greenhouse look like they may survive, but the ones in the cloche are looking very ill. I am feeling your pain, Melinda! :( :facepalm: :D

Actually, I've just been out in the garden for a bit and had to rush upstairs for the aloe vera lotion before I scratched my wrists and forearms to bits.

I think it was tieing-in my hop that was the main culprit.

Not cold, no - but apparently they like it very warm and humid - and given that I've been following the same routine with them (bit of fresh air during the day but mostly zipped into their houses with a bowl of water to provide extra humidity) and that they've been fine up to now, but have collapsed overnight - the very first time I've left them exposed, I can't think that it'd be anything else, iyswim!

Am hoping they'll revive themselves somewhat, but really not too sure about the ones under the cloche. :(

Not cold, no - but apparently they like it very warm and humid - and given that I've been following the same routine with them (bit of fresh air during the day but mostly zipped into their houses with a bowl of water to provide extra humidity) and that they've been fine up to now, but have collapsed overnight - the very first time I've left them exposed, I can't think that it'd be anything else, iyswim!

Am hoping they'll revive themselves somewhat, but really not too sure about the ones under the cloche. :(

Did you get that PVC greenhouse secured against the wind ? ;)

Cucumbers seem to be slightly less fussy. Mine are in smallish pots and just sprawling at the moment ..
I just picked a fruit (they're mini cucumbers) - probably pollinated as I'm getting mostly male flowers ...

Back
Top Bottom