Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

This Morning. Phillip comes out as gay.

I really hope it's not true about the teenager. For one, that would be creepy as fuck, and for another, some bigots would use it as ammo, but that's the norm, unfortunately. Added to that, some people who've been saying Schofield's brave would decide not to back down despite the creepiness.

And it could be purely made-up rumours. Stranger things have happened. Even if does remind me a bit of Kevin Spacey.

Yep, it's the perfect ammunition for those who equate homosexuality with paedophilia. And the source material is extremely suspect, (and yet, those who don't understand the concept of being gay and might feel uncomfortable that it can't be defined according to their own standards) are happy to believe it.

No doubt we'll have someone along comparing us to animals, next :(

To be straight, one must engage in sexual acts or be in an opposite sex relationship?

How about single people, then?
There are other ways that performance and relations work than being in a relationship. But those ways don’t include performatively and relationally acting out a completely different identity. You don’t have some special secret self that you keep hidden. You are what you do, the relationships you maintain, the things you say.

That’s why it’s so painful to live in a way incongruent with how you feel, of course. Because you don’t get to be one thing in your heart and another thing in reality. Your reality defines you regardless of whether you want it or not.

There are other ways that performance and relations work than being in a relationship. But those ways don’t include performatively and relationally acting out a completely different identity. You don’t have some special secret self that you keep hidden. You are what you do, the relationships you maintain, the things you say.

Pretty sure there's plenty of people out there who keep their sexuality hidden or repressed. Sexuality is a many faceted thing, it's impossible to neatly label it.

Are you talking to me or Schofield? It seems like you want him to jump through hoops to prove his sexuality.
I didn’t want anything for Schofield. I only asked the question what does his announcement actually mean? But now it would seem I have my answer — it means he yet another powerful middle-aged media arsehole who wants to fuck teenagers that are beholden to him.

I didn’t want anything for Schofield. I only asked the question what does his announcement actually mean? But now it would seem I have my answer — it means he yet another powerful middle-aged media arsehole who wants to fuck teenagers that are beholden to him.

It's quite an age gap, no doubt about it. But it seems they were in a consensual relationship which soured. Maybe his bf threatened to go public so Schofied got in there first. Does this make PS a monster, a predator, though?

There are no details yet as far as I am aware, just speculation, but even so it doesn't mean he didn't have a difficult time coming out as gay. Might mean he's a bit of a dick. His wife and family did already know (supposedly).
No different from a hetro presenter cheating on his wife with an teenage intern, for which he wouldn't have had to make a televised public statement to confirm his heterosexuality, bravely or not.
By all accounts, I hear through my TV grapevine that he can be a horrible shit, but I don't have any first hand accounts of that.
I’m not saying he didn’t/doesn’t have a difficult time coming out as gay.
That doesn’t stop him from being a middle aged letch though. Nor does it mean that he doesn’t come across an very unpleasant on screen and, by all accounts, off screen.

If the rumour is true about him having an affair that started 7 years ago with a then 18yr old runner (now 25) on the GM show...and that it was all going to come out because the runner had decided to talk...then this has been a damage limitation / garner support and sympathy exercise and an effort to avoid looking like a lying cheating shit and his sexual orientation outing will take second place....eventually.

Whatever the truth is...I feel extremely sorry for his wife who seems to have been a rock in his life and is still doing her best to be supportive of him.

In what way are you straight?
It's quite an age gap, no doubt about it. But it seems they were in a consensual relationship which soured. Maybe his bf threatened to go public so Schofied got in there first. Does this make PS a monster, a predator, though?

Honestly? If it's true, and still if, then yeah, it'd be creepy as fuck. Schofield is 57 now. And the bloke is supposed to be a runner on the This Morning set so that's a bit Harvey Weinstein, smacking of shag you way up.

Like I said, I really hope the rumours aren't true, but if they are then them being the same sex doesn't excuse anything. A 49 year old man shagging an 18-year-old woman that he's in a position of authority over is not something anyone on here would say was just fine and dandy. And coming out and getting lots of sympathy for it as a way to deflect from a report about him shagging an 18-year-old runner would be really shitty.

So thumbs crossed that it's not true and actually he shagged a bloke he met in a pub or something.

Kabbes I do get what you're saying, FWIW, but I can't find a way of expressing how without potentially offending people who are bisexual and living in hetero relationships, which I don't want to do.

The rumour seems to have come from an article published by The S*n, so I think I’ll hold out on jumping to conclusions until a more reputable source comes through. Not as if the scum is known for its honesty and fact finding, is it.

I’m not saying he didn’t/doesn’t have a difficult time coming out as gay.
That doesn’t stop him from being a middle aged letch though. Nor does it mean that he doesn’t come across an very unpleasant on screen and, by all accounts, off screen.
You framed his coming out as nothing more than a cold calculated PR exercise.

If the rumour is true about him having an affair that started 7 years ago with a then 18yr old runner (now 25) on the GM show...and that it was all going to come out because the runner had decided to talk...then this has been a damage limitation / garner support and sympathy exercise and an effort to avoid looking like a lying cheating shit and his sexual orientation outing will take second place....eventually.

Whatever the truth is...I feel extremely sorry for his wife who seems to have been a rock in his life and is still doing her best to be supportive of him.

This story suggests Schofields sexuality was known for 2 years before his public coming out.

Last edited:
We should also challenge the assumption that men who aren't mildly camp are straight - there are too many assumptions in this world!

That's true. I had a friend who was SO, SO straight seeming that he found it really hard to pull blokes despite being good looking - everyone assumed he was a straight bloke experimenting whereas he was actually a gold star gay man in his thirties and wanted a long-term relationship with a man.

That's true. I had a friend who was SO, SO straight seeming that he found it really hard to pull blokes despite being good looking - everyone assumed he was a straight bloke experimenting whereas he was actually a gold star gay man in his thirties and wanted a long-term relationship with a man.
Sound like bullshit to me. No gay man can't find dates because they appear "too straight".

Last edited:
Sound like bullshit to me. No gay man can't find dates because they appear "too straight".

One of my best friends was asked to leave a gay bar because they thought he was straight! Ended up in a row about the need to be straight friendly anyway and not assume that everyone who looks straight is an enemy. This was in the 80s.

Back
Top Bottom