Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The White Album edited to a single LP.

danny la rouge

More like *fanny* la rouge!
The Beatles’ sprawling double LP just needed a firmer editor.

Here’s what it should have been:

Side 1

"Back in the U.S.S.R."
"Dear Prudence"
"Yer Blues"
"Birthday"
"While My Guitar Gently Weeps"
"I'm So Tired"
"Happiness Is a Warm Gun"

Side 2

"Blackbird"
"Piggies"
"Everybody's Got Something To Hide Except for Me and My Monkey"
"Sexy Sadie"
"I Will"
"Julia"
"Helter Skelter"
"Long Long Long"

Obvious choices to go:
"Bungalow Bill"
"Rocky Racoon"
"Glass Onion"
"Honey Pie"
"Wild Honey Pie"
"Why Don't We Do It In The Road"

Each of these are duds and the writer should just have been told no. Seriously. Just no.

There are other songs that had merit, Revolution 1, for example. It had another version released on a single, though, so can be omitted. Revolution 9 was interesting but didn't need to be 8 mins long and could have been on an EP at some point. Mother Nature's Son could have been saved for a McCartney solo project.

What’s your version?

The thing which always grates me with Dear Prudence is Paul's drumming is fairly sloppy at the start and it's really noticable as soon as the drums kick in. It only starts to sound better when he stops trying to do eigth notes on the hi hat.

The thing which always grates me with Dear Prudence is Paul's drumming is fairly sloppy at the start and it's really noticable as soon as the drums kick in. It only starts to sound better when he stops trying to do eigth notes on the hi hat.
I mostly think of the Siouxsie and the Banshees cover tbh.

People forget he didn’t write that as a song concept in its own right. He wrote it for an animation feature. Disparage it all you want, but it does have a context.

Best lyrics he wrote…

( I challenge anyone to say they haven’t got ‘bom bom bom doodle-oo in their head now…)

The Beatles’ sprawling double LP just needed a firmer editor.

Here’s what it should have been:

Side 1

"Back in the U.S.S.R."
"Dear Prudence"
"Yer Blues"
"Birthday"
"While My Guitar Gently Weeps"
"I'm So Tired"
"Happiness Is a Warm Gun"

Side 2

"Blackbird"
"Piggies"
"Everybody's Got Something To Hide Except for Me and My Monkey"
"Sexy Sadie"
"I Will"
"Julia"
"Helter Skelter"
"Long Long Long"

Obvious choices to go:
"Bungalow Bill"
"Rocky Racoon"
"Glass Onion"
"Honey Pie"
"Wild Honey Pie"
"Why Don't We Do It In The Road"

Each of these are duds and the writer should just have been told no. Seriously. Just no.

There are other songs that had merit, Revolution 1, for example. It had another version released on a single, though, so can be omitted. Revolution 9 was interesting but didn't need to be 8 mins long and could have been on an EP at some point. Mother Nature's Son could have been saved for a McCartney solo project.

What’s your version?
The white album without revolution 9 isn't the white album

Back
Top Bottom