Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The White Album edited to a single LP.

Mcartney's greatest moment was "Ebony and ivory", because it inspired Alexei Sayle to rap about Doc Marten's boots.

why do Beatles fans get so mad when you point out their shitness and the fact they were only ripping off music from other cultures and monetising it?

why do Beatles fans get so mad when you point out their shitness and the fact they were only ripping off music from other cultures and monetising it?

This argument has been ripped off a zillion times. Say something new.

In the meantime, in answer to your question, guess you need to ask a "mad" Beatles fan.

I wouldn't describe myself as a fan. I grew up with them which gives me childhood memories and I heard their trippy stuff on LSD which DOES work, or did when I was in my mid to late teens. But we all like different stuff for different reasons. It isn't a hill to die on if others have different tastes.

It's probably the worst Beatles' album though and fascinating that they made it a double album.

You think? It's funny, over the years have met many self-professed Beatles fans but their fandom seems to dry up before or in and around Revolver.

Love the White Album precisely because it was eclectic, indulgent and sprawling. Sure, there were much more interesting bands about (Zappa, the VU etc) but nobody was better at being the Beatles than the Beatles.

You think? It's funny, over the years have met many self-professed Beatles fans but their fandom seems to dry up before or in and around Revolver.

Love the White Album precisely because it was eclectic, indulgent and sprawling. Sure, there were much more interesting bands about (Zappa, the VU etc) but nobody was better at being the Beatles than the Beatles.
Maybe I should listen to it more. Unsurprisingly my taste pretty much reflects what my father exposed me to. So from Rubber Soul (which was his favourite album) through to Abbey Road.

Maybe I should listen to it more. Unsurprisingly my taste pretty much reflects what my father exposed me to. So from Rubber Soul (which was his favourite album) through to Abbey Road.
Abbey Road didn't get into until maybe 15-20 years back. Despite Maxwell's Silver Hammer, am fond of it.

It's a bit more focused than the White Album, no doubt about it.

Abbey Road didn't get into until maybe 15-20 years back. Despite Maxwell's Silver Hammer, am fond of it.

It's a bit more focused than the White Album, no doubt about it.
You don't like Maxwell's Silver Hammer? :D Apparently you're in good company as everyone but McCartney hated recording it. I think it's a great track.

My memories of the Beatles are that of "British exceptionalism" -We invented the Beatles aren't we great. Like 4 wankers that gave up a lifetime of being scousers to become musicians by modifiying music is somehow a success story. No, it's boring. Along with all the other shit they claim makes it great to be British.
Nothing but a boring bunch of rich cunts, telling you all what to believe is good to keep you in your place. And you lap it up. Unquestionably. The beatles were shit. Like England. Fucking mediocre at best.
Because England has no culture apart from being cunts this is the output.

WTF is it on about? :D

Paul's catchy little ditty about a guy who kills women with a hammer. Iirc, he later explained to be about empowerment and kicking back against negative period. But it sure doesn't read that way.

Mind you John's "Run for your life" is equally disturbing.

My memories of the Beatles are that of "British exceptionalism" -We invented the Beatles aren't we great. Like 4 wankers that gave up a lifetime of being scousers to become musicians by modifiying music is somehow a success story. No, it's boring. Along with all the other shit they claim makes it great to be British.
Nothing but a boring bunch of rich cunts, telling you all what to believe is good to keep you in your place. And you lap it up. Unquestionably. The beatles were shit. Like England. Fucking mediocre at best.
Whatever..am not British.

You should pop over to the other thread, if it's culture you're after 🤣

Paul's catchy little ditty about a guy who kills women with a hammer. Iirc, he later explained to be about empowerment and kicking back against negative period. But it sure doesn't read that way.

Mind you John's "Run for your life" is equally disturbing.
Along those lines is Getting Better where John basically admits to violence towards women. He's still a recognisably great talent, if a misogynist.

I'm not British either. But i grew up there, with this shit rammed down your throat. Foie Arse
The Beatles was never rammed down our throats in Ireland. But their Irish heritage might have played a small part in their popularity.

As a kid, Thin Lizzy was probably the most popular rock band in the country but didn't get to appreciate them until much later.

The mania that iirc really took hold was The Boomtown Rats at the end of the 70s. The teens loved them but the older generation did not.

All your rock heroes were nonces. The Beatles are the musical equivalent of colonialism. I would rather watch a replay of the opening to the 2012 Olympics on vhs than willingly listen to the white album.

I was ten when it was released and it seemed shit and childish even then. And I speak as someone who bought 'Rat Rapping' by Roland Rat around that time.
I found out that Roland Rat was also Mooncat. Would have been devastated at the time had I known, but watching a clip today its blindingly obvious.

Blimey.

It's very true that anything the irish in Britain do is appropriated as british

krtek a houby

As someone who thinks the Beatles were massively overrated, but can see why they were, the White Album is the only one I ever owned. Well, at least a tape of it, and I don't know what happened to it, but that's not the point. And I can see the advantages of an edited version.

As every pub quizzer knows, it isn't actually called the White Album (except by everybody). But they may not recognise the redundancy of the name, or not-name.

Back
Top Bottom