Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The White Album edited to a single LP.

This project is wild:

1692092796708.png
I collect numbered White Albums and currently have 3,271 copies. Every album is posted @webuywhitealbums. Let me know if you have a copy in any condition.

What I especially like about it is the images of the sleeve become more about the lives of the people who owned the records - who did whatever it was to their object that made it different from the other objects.

This project is wild:

View attachment 387278

What I especially like about it is the images of the sleeve become more about the lives of the people who owned the records - who did whatever it was to their object that made it different from the other objects.
I’ve got a numbered White Album. I’ve not seen it for a while so I’ll need to check on it. It was given to me by my uncle Jeff when I was a teenager. He was a 60s acid casualty, who lived out his life in mental institutions. He died young from a heart attack. So even though it’s not my favourite Beatles album, it does have a meaning to me.

With the Beatles (see what I did there) it was always about the whole thing, the whole Beatles phenomenon. The White Album's an integral part of that phenomenon, in both its brilliance and self-indulgence.
Yes, I know that. And obviously this thread can’t change the White Album. Nor can we experience 1968 again. I just thought it was an interesting exercise.

I listened to it in its entirety over the weekend, something I’ve not done it years. I won’t do it again for years. But I might listen to various tracks.

I believe one original idea for the sleeve was to have a coffee mug ring on it (suggested by GH) so interesting that this happened naturally anyway to so many copies over time. Is your copy mono or stereo?
I’ve not actually played the artefact for decades. I think it’s stereo. I know the mono one doesn’t have Ringo shouting about his blisters at the end of Helter Skelter. I think I remember he is on this pressing.

People forget he didn’t write that as a song concept in its own right. He wrote it for an animation feature. Disparage it all you want, but it does have a context.
Last time i listened to it i thought it was a pretty good piece of music. Not edgy, never fashionable, but enjoyable.

My memories of the Beatles are that of "British exceptionalism" -We invented the Beatles aren't we great. Like 4 wankers that gave up a lifetime of being scousers to become musicians by modifiying music is somehow a success story. No, it's boring. Along with all the other shit they claim makes it great to be British.
Nothing but a boring bunch of rich cunts, telling you all what to believe is good to keep you in your place. And you lap it up. Unquestionably. The beatles were shit. Like England. Fucking mediocre at best.
Because England has no culture apart from being cunts this is the output.
You OK, hun?

My memories of the Beatles are that of "British exceptionalism" -We invented the Beatles aren't we great. Like 4 wankers that gave up a lifetime of being scousers to become musicians by modifiying music is somehow a success story. No, it's boring. Along with all the other shit they claim makes it great to be British.
Nothing but a boring bunch of rich cunts, telling you all what to believe is good to keep you in your place. And you lap it up. Unquestionably. The beatles were shit. Like England. Fucking mediocre at best.
Because England has no culture apart from being cunts this is the output.
Parklife

It's fine to hate them, but they really weren't shit. The amount of musicians and bands that they inspired is absolutely huge, and probably includes some of your own faves.
Undoubtedly some of my favorites were influenced by the same people that influenced the Beatles.

I’ve not actually played the artefact for decades. I think it’s stereo. I know the mono one doesn’t have Ringo shouting about his blisters at the end of Helter Skelter. I think I remember he is on this pressing.
Yep that’s the stereo one. The mono version is like listening to a completely different album in places

My own (current) favourite Beatles album, Rubber Soul, was a huge influence on the Velvet Underground. Cale and Reed both cite it.
Iirc Lou Reed's opinions on The Beatles were all over the shop, depending on what he had for breakfast that morning. I can remember him going on about the band being garbage, not even owning Sgt Pepper, and (my fav) "not as good as, say, the Velvet Undergrounds first album". :D On other occasions they were the greatest songwriters of all time.

But yeah, he definitely liked them. Sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom