Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Virgin Mary

No He Didn't, but He had lots of close relatives; perhaps half brothers from Joseph

Interested to see The Protoevangelium of James getting the recognition it deserves as a reputable source. Here's the birth of Jesus:

the infant appeared, and went and took the breast from His mother Mary. And the midwife cried out, and said: This is a great day to me, because I have seen this strange sight. And the midwife went forth out of the cave, and Salome met her. And she said to her: Salome, Salome, I have a strange sight to relate to you: a virgin has brought forth — a thing which her nature admits not of. Then said Salome: As the Lord my God lives, unless I thrust in my finger, and search the parts, I will not believe that a virgin has brought forth.

And the midwife went in, and said to Mary: Show yourself; for no small controversy has arisen about you. And Salome put in her finger, and cried out, and said: Woe is me for mine iniquity and mine unbelief, because I have tempted the living God; and, behold, my hand is dropping off as if burned with fire

You don't often see that in primary school nativity plays.

Interested to see The Protoevangelium of James getting the recognition it deserves as a reputable source. Here's the birth of Jesus:

the infant appeared, and went and took the breast from His mother Mary. And the midwife cried out, and said: This is a great day to me, because I have seen this strange sight. And the midwife went forth out of the cave, and Salome met her. And she said to her: Salome, Salome, I have a strange sight to relate to you: a virgin has brought forth — a thing which her nature admits not of. Then said Salome: As the Lord my God lives, unless I thrust in my finger, and search the parts, I will not believe that a virgin has brought forth.

And the midwife went in, and said to Mary: Show yourself; for no small controversy has arisen about you. And Salome put in her finger, and cried out, and said: Woe is me for mine iniquity and mine unbelief, because I have tempted the living God; and, behold, my hand is dropping off as if burned with fire

I was disturbed enough about Doubting Thomas putting his fingers in Jesus' wounds. 🤮

Blimey.

That is excellent

Poland bloody love a bit of Mary! She's the Queen of Poland

Matka-Boza_Rokitno.jpg

The most famous picture of her is The Black Madonna in Częstochowa. I've seen it. They make a whole bloody hoo-haa out of revealing her on the hour every hour, and she's draped in the best velvet.

2022050402058_9413ed0ce8e7c93c7085d84dc1cadda5b6f2656666997164dc77220722d723ea.jpg

Schubert's actually a setting for Walter Scott's lady of the lake. With a bit of Mary. But not intended as a full setting for the Ave Maria prayer at all. So there ya go.

No, we must interpret unclear passages by exactly translating from the language(s) of the original text, which is certainly not Cromwellian English..
That article doesn't 'exactly' translate, it just cherry picks one example where the Greek word for brother was used to mean something other than full biological brother, and then decides the same must apply to Jesus. James is referred to as Jesus' brother not only in the gospels, but also by Paul in his letters, the earliest written source about Jesus. The only reason to claim James was anything other than the full brother of Jesus is to fulfill a dogma that originates over a 100 years after his death.

Or if the whole point was that before the birth of Jesus Mary was a virgin?

Paul talks about company with Jesus' brothers.

That article doesn't 'exactly' translate, it just cherry picks one example where the Greek word for brother was used to mean something other than full biological brother, and then decides the same must apply to Jesus. James is referred to as Jesus' brother not only in the gospels, but also by Paul in his letters, the earliest written source about Jesus. The only reason to claim James was anything other than the full brother of Jesus is to fulfill a dogma that originates over a 100 years after his death.
The four canonical gospels, Matthew, Mark, Luke and John are said to have been written between a.d 66 and 110. If Jesus died in adulthood, (some say he began to preach around 30 y/o) then that just isn't accurate.

The four canonical gospels, Matthew, Mark, Luke and John are said to have been written between a.d 66 and 110. If Jesus died in adulthood, (some say he began to preach around 30 y/o) then that just isn't accurate.
The dogma I'm referring to is the perpetual virginity of Mary. There is nothing in the canonical gospels about Mary remaining a virgin, instead some even refer to his siblings. The earliest reference to perpetual virginity of Mary is in Protoevangelium of James which is estimated to be from around 150, so more than 100 years, and it wasn't the official church position until a few hundred years after that.

Aramaic has no word for cousin.

The dogma I'm referring to is the perpetual virginity of Mary. There is nothing in the canonical gospels about Mary remaining a virgin, instead some even refer to his siblings. The earliest reference to perpetual virginity of Mary is in Protoevangelium of James which is estimated to be from around 150, so more than 100 years, and it wasn't the official church position until a few hundred years after that.
I see we have a cromwellian solo scripturist here.

Were they born from Mary Jesus' mother? Like widows and widowers was a big thing. Not that far-fetched or hard to imagine.

Back
Top Bottom