Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Union Movement In The USA Died Today

You are very confused. You may as well be voting for the BNP while being concerned about racism.
Why? unions can still be shit and promote certain groups and grades above others. Mine certainly chose to distribute a spending envelope by giving more to certain groups and none to others (i.e. mine).

Speaking from limited exposure I do believe US unionisation is a complete and utter ball-ache. My examples in the US are that when crates holding our machines turn up I can't physically pick up a powerdriver and unscrew the crate to save time, I have to wait for the riggers to do it. Fair enough for the next section, getting the machine lifted off the pallet and moved into position. The rigger company takes the risk of maybe damaging flooring, etc. But then trying to organise all of the service required for the machine, especially electrics, is a nightmare. The electricians think they are so special, when really they aren't. Getting compressed air, CO2, network connections, etc is easy because those guys appreciate that they are supporting the machine. At times the relationships we have with the riggers pays dividends (craning machines in through a window on the 7th floor whilst it's raining in November in Boston is seriously not fun, but the riggers were magnificent!), other times (when they don't turn up on time or at commercial shows) it can be a real ball-ache. It's not a problem with the individuals, we all have the same end-view, it's just the stupid antiquated procedures. In the US nothing is scheduled on line, it's all in the mind of the foreman (a minor miracle would be having a spreadsheet explaining the timing, but believing in that is a fools errand!)

Why? unions can still be shit and promote certain groups and grades above others. Mine certainly chose to distribute a spending envelope by giving more to certain groups and none to others (i.e. mine).

I agree with you (and Sass) in that a lot of union bureaucrats obviously do not always prioritise the rights of their members, but I think it's a bit rich for someone who has voted for governments which have attacked unions and forced them to fight with one hand behind their backs to say that.

lots of dates could be chosen as "the day" the union movement in the states died. in my lifetime the most prominent day was the day reagan broke the air traffic controllers' strike, 40 years ago. or before that when walter reuther's suggestion, in the 1950s even, of a nationwide, portable health insurance plan for union workers was scotched, which would have kicked one leg out of capital's bargaining power. or was it the establishment of the AFL in 1886?

you read these days that workers feel their power in the post-coronavirus economy. "labor shortage!" let's see.

If boris jonson ever becomes party leader and then PM, I swear I'll do time
:eek::(

Had been wondering if there was a general thread for putting US strike and worker struggle stuff on, along the lines of the UK one - the Nabisco and Alabama coal strikes both sound pretty significant.
Alabama:

Nabisco:

Update on Nabisco:

The Nabisco bakery strike in Northeast Portland had humble beginnings. In mid-August, the local bakers’ union took to picket lines along Columbia Boulevard, refusing a new contract workers said stripped them of overtime pay and robust health insurance.

Fast-forward a month and the strike has both expanded and intensified. Every single Nabisco facility on that contract in the nation is on strike: three bakeries and three distribution centers.

And in Portland, the brinksmanship now includes trains halting on railroad tracks, vans with tinted windows, and car alarms honking in a Marriott parking lot.

That’s because the bakery’s owner, Mondelez International, has allegedly brought in strikebreakers to do union jobs. And a new wave of leftist protesters have joined the picketing workers—bringing with them intense new techniques that the striking bakers weren’t expecting.

Here’s how the standoff outside Nabisco escalated...

In recent weeks, the Nabisco bakers have been joined by Portland protesters—committed leftists who are veterans of standoffs against police during racial justice protests last year.

Two of those new allies spoke with WW under the condition of anonymity.

They describe three distinct actions by a small group of protesters over the past few weeks to disrupt Mondelez’s operations.

On Friday, Aug. 20, protesters blocked vans and personal vehicles from entering an external parking lot eight minutes away from a building on Northeast Killingsworth Street where protesters say strikebreakers park, then load onto buses and vans, and get taken to the bakery. Starting around 5 am, protesters blocked the driveway into the parking lot with their bodies for an hour. Eventually, cars and vans started turning around.

Once those vehicles left, protesters rushed to the Nabisco facility and started slowly walking across the main vehicle entrance on Columbia Boulevard to impede swift entry.

Then, on the following Tuesday evening before strikebreaking workers left the facility, protesters tell WW they staged “car troubles” at all seven of the egresses. Pictures shared with WW show two cars at one of the entrances, the driver of one swapping out a tire and moving painfully slowly, according to bakers—for over an hour. Eventually, videos show, the vans drove across the grass and between trees to enter the street and leave.

Later that same night around midnight, protesters tell WW, 10 of them drove their cars to the outside of two hotels near the airport where they suspected strikebreakers were being lodged and set off their car alarms and honked horns. The cacophony lasted about 10 minutes.

The union, too, has stepped up strike efforts.

Perhaps most notably, Nabisco bakers have halted rail delivery of ingredients to the Portland bakery. (Strikers say the supplies carried via rail include flour, sugar and oil. WW could not independently confirm that.)

On Aug. 23, baker Linda Lasher and a co-worker named Julie stood on the railroad tracks that run under the Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard overpass to stop a Pacific Union supply train headed for the Nabisco facility. The train engineer—a union member—reversed course.

A Union Pacific spokesperson tells WW that it’s not currently serving the facility because of the strike.

Now, two workers with the Bakery, Confectionery, Tobacco Workers and Grain Millers International Union Local 364 keep watch of the tracks at all times. They’ve set up a white tent beside the track in a small brown clearing beside the railroad. (Union Pacific told them they couldn’t stand on the tracks.) Five camp chairs have been set up, and a picnic table is stocked with powdered donuts, Hot Pockets from a nearby convenience store, and wasp repellent.

On a Saturday afternoon, the station is manned by Eddie Mayagoitia and another man. Mayagoitia’s shift is usually from 3 to 11 am. He met his wife while running the ovens that bake Oreos and Chicken in a Biskit. He and his wife trade strike shifts to take care of their baby.

He believes the blockade is affecting Nabisco’s production.

“I haven’t seen any trucks coming out with products,” Mayagoitia says. “If they were making stuff, we would smell the cookies.”

Nice little video from the Nabisco picket line:

I absolutely love the security guard ineffectually trying to wave the scab car through, apparently oblivious to the fact that doing a "go on, you're fine" hand gesture doesn't mean much when there's people physically blocking your route?

IATSE membership authorized a strike.

(where's the Strike! thread? can't find it.)

I appreciate we probably don't have a huge number of US posters here, but for the benefit of any yank posters/lurkers, or indeed anyone else who wants to support the Kelloggs strike:

I appreciate we probably don't have a huge number of US posters here, but for the benefit of any yank posters/lurkers, or indeed anyone else who wants to support the Kelloggs strike:

Here's the union's website, if anyone is interested.

It sure didn't take long for the cereal shelves to empty. It was mostly bare yesterday afternoon.

I don't know if your regional settings will permit it, but there's a quick interview with some strikers in Omaha here:

Here's the union's website, if anyone is interested.

It sure didn't take long for the cereal shelves to empty. It was mostly bare yesterday afternoon.

I don't know if your regional settings will permit it, but there's a quick interview with some strikers in Omaha here:

Yep, works here.

Back
Top Bottom