Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The social cleansing of social housing.

2011 numbers - that is an eon in terms of the outflow of capiital from china - outward investment from china into overseas property has likely tripled since then - much of the blocks that are being bought post date the last census

2011 numbers - that is an eon in terms of the outflow of capiital from china - outward investment from china into overseas property has likely tripled since then - much of the blocks that are being bought post date the last census

You've got more up to date evidence -great where is it ?

some info on de-regulation of social housing from 6 April 2017

Deregulatory measures for social housing regulation from 6 April 2017 - GOV.UK

Removal of the constitutional consents regime. Non-profit registered providers will no longer need to seek the regulator’s consent before changing their objects, amending their governing document to make provision about the distribution of assets to members, becoming or ceasing to be a subsidiary or associate of another body, or restructuring (eg converting from a company to a registered society or vice versa; amalgamating; or transferring engagements).

Removal of the disposals consent regime. Registered providers will no longer need to seek the regulator’s consent to sell social housing or charge it for security.

6blrXc8.jpg

Apros of nothing - was talking to a town planner at the weekend - y'know the utterly furious people in the block beside the Tate modern who are kicking off about people looking at them? the people who cannot slouch around in their underdogs in front of the telly any longer?

they pay £48K a year per flat in service charges. yes, £48k.

I could buy a house in my old home town for that

SW8 properties- includes the nine elms hood - prices down 15% YoY apparently

overseas bullion in the sky investors not interested any more - the shift towards (high earning) owner occupiers seem to be strengthening/ PSF rates halving in some areas

SW8 properties- includes the nine elms hood - prices down 15% YoY apparently

overseas bullion in the sky investors not interested any more - the shift towards (high earning) owner occupiers seem to be strengthening/ PSF rates halving in some areas

A mix of Brexit and most of the area still being a building site with (relatively) bad transport links probably. Also I'd imagine it must be annoying to have a riverside view of a side of the river that is much nicer than yours is.

Surprise!

Homes at Battersea Power Station: Battersea Power Station slashes hundreds of affordable homes from plan

Originally, 636 homes were earmarked by the Battersea Power Station Development Company for first time-buyers and renters unable to afford the mega prices asked for the 4,239 luxury homes on the power station site.

Now the development company says the entire project may become financially unviable if it is forced to stick to the 2011 promise to include so many affordable homes. It says it made the undertaking when London’s new-build market was booming and construction costs were lower.

Instead it wants to offer 386 affordable homes — or nine per cent of the total. The remaining 250 affordable homes would only be provided following an “end of scheme review”, a complex financial assessment of the profits the development company will make.

636/4875 is already a low percentage (13%) of affordable units, they must have gamed the system to get that to start with. Pretty sure there was a requirement for 25% at one time, but that it got watered down by Boris to support development during the recession/let his mates get away with it. Priced never stopped going up in London so all these renegotiations were horseshit.

It's a shitty overdevelopment of the site anyway, blocking views of the iconic building. Housing on this site is such a tragic waste, rooted in feeble imagination and a view that money is all.

Amazing how so many developers are so shit at what they do that they can't manage to turn a profit even in the most overinflated housing market on the planet isn't it?

True. Isn't property development supposed to be one of the most easy ways to make money for a capitalist?

The main factor causing massive house price inflation was the decision to cut interest rates to 0.25% and inject so-called QE.

This caused an explosion in leveraged buy to let fiefdoms - even reflected in daytime TV programmes about buying dead people's houses at auction, doing them up and rack-renting them.

I don't believe it was satire when published in 2015. Some of the comments below do a fine job of using Smith's own words as a counter to those espousing the unfettered free-marketism as expressed in the blog post.

I think their point is we aren’t operating in a free market ( there are all sorts of rules around building houses which makes them cost more ), they are saying that this makes houses cost more.

Alex

I think their point is we aren’t operating in a free market ( there are all sorts of rules around building houses which makes them cost more ), they are saying that this makes houses cost more.
Alex

He's saying if your bed in a shed was legal then you'd have recourse to the law in a landlord/tennant dispute. He could have added you'd be able to afford a lawyer with all the money you saved by living in a shed.

And I'm still wondering if it was a satire that was too subtle for the publisher.

Back
Top Bottom