Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Planes that never were

Idris2002

canadian girlfriend
Inspired by the weird planes thread, I thought I'd start this one about planes that never made it past the prototype stage, if that.

To start off with, here's the Avro Arrow:

68a333d9-c9ad-48d0-b332-604dcaacf5ec.jpg

And also the Arrow's sister in failure, the TSR2:

hush_tsr-2001.jpg

The Soviet BURAN orbiter. Only flew once (unmanned), before the collapse of the Soviet Union. Project abbondened in 1993

Buran.jpg
space-shuttle-24.jpeg

Only one that was built ever flew, got destroyed when the hanger it was stored in collapsed. Another one that never flew remains derelict in a hanger somewhere.

I bought this DVD a few years ago: Planes That Never Flew [DVD]: Amazon.co.uk: DVD & Blu-ray

"They could have changed the world - had they been built. FOUR full length documentaries tell the incredible stories of the pre-war jet fighter the Lockheed L133, America's SST, the Convair WS-125 'Doomsday bomber' and Britain's rocket-powered interceptor the Saunders Roe SR177.Each aircraft is recreated using advanced computer graphics, and its extraordinary story is told using rare archive footage and exclusive interviews."

I bought this DVD a few years ago: Planes That Never Flew [DVD]: Amazon.co.uk: DVD & Blu-ray

"They could have changed the world - had they been built. FOUR full length documentaries tell the incredible stories of the pre-war jet fighter the Lockheed L133, America's SST, the Convair WS-125 'Doomsday bomber' and Britain's rocket-powered interceptor the Saunders Roe SR177.Each aircraft is recreated using advanced computer graphics, and its extraordinary story is told using rare archive footage and exclusive interviews."
They're on youtube now:

Sukhoi-Gulfstream S-21, supersonic business jet.

sukhoi_supersonic_business_jet_1.jpg

Not sure whether that's the S21 or more generic 'here's our SSBJ model, please throw money at it'.

Aircraft that never were but should have been are a more interesting sub-genre...

Mirager_4000.jpg

Mirage 4000. A 25% bigger Mirage 2000 (which was already a fantastic aircraft and very sporty ride) with 100% more power and 200% more fuel. It could hit M2.0 at FL500 from a standing start in under 4 (very exciting) minutes. The whole project went south when the Saudis opted for the F-15. The UK should have bailed from the Typhoon project when the post-unification Germans got cold feet and done this as a joint venture instead.

Also from the should have been but never was file, the McDonnell-Douglas A-12 Avenger II.

a_12_avenger_ii_by_japphell-d3ci05u.png

Cancelled by Dick Cheney (who loved cancelling projects) which set back the cause of US Navy low observable carrier strike aviation by about 25 years.

The reactor/engine test beds for the Convair-WS125 are currently on public display somewhere on the plains of Idhao.

Aircraft_Reactors_Arco_ID_2009.jpg

You don't need to be in any hurry to see them as it looks like they will be sitting there for the next couple of hundred years at least - till they cool down enough to be cut-up. :eek:

The Soviet BURAN orbiter. Only flew once (unmanned), before the collapse of the Soviet Union. Project abbondened in 1993

Buran.jpg
space-shuttle-24.jpeg

Only one that was built ever flew, got destroyed when the hanger it was stored in collapsed. Another one that never flew remains derelict in a hanger somewhere.
Derilect in Kazakhstan iirc

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom