Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Home Office and UK government policy concerning asylum seekers/Rwanda deportations

Signal update:

"💥 WELL DONE PECKHAM! Hundreds of us gathered in resistance today and stopped our neighbours from being taken against their will to the Bibby Stockholm. Peckham shut it down ✊✊✊

THE FIGHT ISNT OVER-

‼️Our friends in the hotel could still be taken away today and we need to maintain a presence to stop this from happening- if you can come even for an hour!!

👀 The Home Office plans to remove hundreds of our neighbours to the barge this month and we must continue to show up and resist. Watch this space."

Signal update:

"💥 WELL DONE PECKHAM! Hundreds of us gathered in resistance today and stopped our neighbours from being taken against their will to the Bibby Stockholm. Peckham shut it down ✊✊✊

THE FIGHT ISNT OVER-

‼️Our friends in the hotel could still be taken away today and we need to maintain a presence to stop this from happening- if you can come even for an hour!!

👀 The Home Office plans to remove hundreds of our neighbours to the barge this month and we must continue to show up and resist. Watch this space."
Top notch, Peckham :thumbs:

That coach firm must be very desperate for trade; let's hope they soon realise what an error it is to assist the racist vermin in their trafficking.

e2a: can see why they were using unmarked/liveried vehicles.

Home Office have a rethink:

A senior member of the Church of England has now intervened to assert The People's Priorities:

"A prominent Church of England bishop has praised the protesters who successfully disrupted Home Office attempts to move asylum seekers to the Bibby Stockholm barge in Dorset ..."

‘Compassion for the most vulnerable’: bishop thanks protesters who blocked asylum coaches

81708557-13126209-In_her_motion_the_Bishop_of_Dover_Rose_Hudson_Wilkin_pictured_al-m-20_1708946819858.jpg

(Source: as stated in image)

“I want to thank the local people who have stood up for those who are housed on their doorstep. Their actions show that there is compassion within the community to care for people who are most vulnerable, so that the people most at risk are not moved from pillar to post.

“Our Lord showed compassion for the most vulnerable and I am heartened to see this in action in Margate, so thank you.”

A senior member of the Church of England has now intervened to assert The People's Priorities:

‘Compassion for the most vulnerable’: bishop thanks protesters who blocked asylum coaches

81708557-13126209-In_her_motion_the_Bishop_of_Dover_Rose_Hudson_Wilkin_pictured_al-m-20_1708946819858.jpg

“I want to thank the local people who have stood up for those who are housed on their doorstep. Their actions show that there is compassion within the community to care for people who are most vulnerable, so that the people most at risk are not moved from pillar to post.

“Our Lord showed compassion for the most vulnerable and I am heartened to see this in action in Margate, so thank you.”

An update on the position of the humans seeking asylum in Margate:

Home Office issues letters withdrawing plan to move asylum seekers from Margate to Bibby Stockholm

As the UK government continues to insist Rwanda is a safe place, five Rwandan men have claimed asylum in Australia.

Jana Favero, from the Asylum Seeker Resource Centre in Melbourne, said:

"It’s incredibly ironic that at the same time the UK is rounding up people to send them to Rwanda, there are reports of Rwandans arriving on Australia’s shores seeking asylum.

“And it is deeply disturbing that the UK is knowingly copying our offshore detention policy given the overwhelming evidence it is a failed policy.”

Rwandans arrive in Australia after perilous journey to claim asylum

Shit, she's doing Christianity wrong lads

Brexit benefit?

Cue the philosophical post.

Well quite.

I grew up through a time of great all round horror and distress due to division on the island of Ireland.
After seeming a quite hopeless situation the Good Friday Agreement came along.
It didn’t solve all problems but helped immensely, aided by the Republic of Ireland and the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland being in the same economic bloc, and to an extent in the same political block.
Unless you were nasty, stupid, ignorant and more, (especially if you were a poseur Lexiter) it was clear that a vote to leave would cause ongoing problems, and here we are nearly eight years after the referendum with no benefit from the vote to leave, but increased problems in Ireland.
The careless attitude of the majority British, to me speaks of centuries old anti Irish oppression and racism.
Yeah I can imagine the snorting and visualise the distain from many here towards me and my stance, but what fortifies me is knowing the vote to leave, despite the lexiter poseurs and those who see themselves as superior, was the deliberate action of snide bastards, and I am glad that on this issue I wasn’t one of them.

Well quite.

I grew up through a time of great all round horror and distress due to division on the island of Ireland.
It didn’t solve all problems but helped immensely, aided by the Republic of Ireland and the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland being in the same economic bloc, and to an extent in the same political block.
Unless you were nasty, stupid, ignorant and more, (especially if you were a poseur Lexiter) it was clear that a vote to leave would cause ongoing problems, and here we are nearly eight years after the referendum with no benefit from the vote to leave, but increased problems in Ireland.
The careless attitude of the majority British, to me speaks of centuries old anti Irish oppression and racism.
Yeah I can imagine the snorting and visualise the distain from many here towards me and my stance, but what fortifies me is knowing the vote to leave, despite the lexiter poseurs and those who see themselves as superior, was the deliberate action of snide bastards, and I am glad that on this issue I wasn’t one of them.

Failure to talk about Ireland was just one of the ways in which the In campaign disgraced itself.

Well quite.

Yes, this ruling reiterates the impossibility of 'taking back control' having entered into a treaty agreement honouring the rights of the people of NI as the stood at one minute to midnight before Brexit.

Where, i think, we may disagree is identifying the causal issue as the vote to Leave; IMO the fault lies squarely with the government that introduced the referendum, agreed to be bound by it and then implemented the agreement with the supra-state that undermined its own national objectives.

Yes, this ruling reiterates the impossibility of 'taking back control' having entered into a treaty agreement honouring the rights of the people of NI as the stood at one minute to midnight before Brexit.

Where, i think, we may disagree is identifying the causal issue as the vote to Leave; IMO the fault lies squarely with the government that introduced the referendum, agreed to be bound by it and then implemented the agreement with the supra-state that undermined its own national objectives.
The government introduced the referendum, but people were not forced to vote leave.
I know all about the arguments that they were tricked, conned, lied to, but all the time there was a UK/EU land border to consider.
Plenty of those seemingly tricked (a patronising judgement anyway) are also people since the referendum result who go on about remoaners, 'you lost get over it' and drowning in remainer tears.
I am yet to be persuaded that any 'fault' (if there is any fault) is down to anybody or anything beyond the actual votes of actual individuals.
Mean spirited though it probably is, I am not prepared to be part of 'bringing the country together' and reconciling in any way with those who voted leave.
They won, they can get on with it.

My brother got arrested today at another attempt to stop a removal at Driscoll House (elephant and castle). The call out was only early this morning and everyone was cleared (and 10 people arrested) by 9.30. No reporting and the removal was successful, I think they are changing their tactics to prevent people from gathering and successfully stopping their removals. My brother has been charged under Section 78

My brother got arrested today at another attempt to stop a removal at Driscoll House (elephant and castle). The call out was only early this morning and everyone was cleared (and 10 people arrested) by 9.30. No reporting and the removal was successful, I think they are changing their tactics to prevent people from gathering and successfully stopping their removals. My brother has been charged under Section 78
I'm sorry to hear this: I hope they are getting the support they need
This seems a harsher change than what many of the arrestees at Peckham were charged with: it seems like that charge needs a high burden of proof on the prosecutors. This is commentary about potential over reaching on s78 from Doughty Street Chambers

As a matter of principle, prosecutors should not be deploying this provision for offending that can be charged under appropriate, narrowly construed statutory provisions. The Law Commission warned against this, and CPS guidance requires prosecutors to select the most appropriate offence for a set of facts, and not to ‘overcharge.’

Last edited:
I'm sorry to hear this: I hope they are getting the support they need
This seems a harsher change than what many of the arrestees at Peckham were charged with: it seems like that charge needs a high burden of proof on the prosecutors. This is commentary about potential over reaching on s78 from Doughty Street Chambers
To be honest I think he's very unlikely to actually be prosecuted, although he's got the info for legal support. He got a month's bail during which he can't attend protests or go within 100ft of an immigration van, I think that and scarying people is more what it's about than actually bringing a case.

To be honest I think he's very unlikely to actually be prosecuted, although he's got the info for legal support. He got a month's bail during which he can't attend protests or go within 100ft of an immigration van, I think that and scarying people is more what it's about than actually bringing a case.
100%

The courts are still working through so many other protest prosecutions, they must be fed up of government crack down on protesters. The Bibby Stockholm is not even saving govt/taxpayers £. Although it is making money for owners, port and management company ‘Floating Prisons’: The 200-year-old family business behind the Bibby Stockholm - Corporate Watch

Housing migrants on Bibby Stockholm costs more than renting house in Sandbanks​

http://archive.today/3rF6U

Whos is the bus provider? Be interesting to see their reputation smeared on social media.
it is a legal requirement that a PCV operated by a civilian organisation has the business name and service address of the Operator marked clearly on the exterior of the vehicle ,normally just behind the front wheel arch on the near side ..

I wonder how much this policy has cost in total.
So far the UK Government has paid Rwanda £220,000,000 and spent about another £28,000,000 on setting up the scheme.

It has agreed to pay Rwanda another £50,000,000 per year in 24/25, 25/26 and 26/27.

That's £398,000,000 before a single person has been forced onto a plane.

If the Government managed to send 300 people to Rwanda, which is the target but unlikely ever to happen, the total cost of the scheme including flights and everything would be around £541,000,000, or £1,800,000 per person forcibly removed from the country.

link

Back
Top Bottom