Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The *FULL* cooked breakfast thread - back me up

danny la rouge

More like *fanny* la rouge!
I’d you’re looking for a dry narrow definition of a type of breakfast invented by marketers in the 1960s, look elsewhere. This thread embraces all of the traditions of These Islands and elsewhere, and will also examine post-1960s innovations, as well as returns to more historical breakfast items, as suggested by the English Breakfast Society. History Of The Traditional English Breakfast

“If you wanted to add even more tradition, try adding Anglo Saxon dishes like baked halibut steaks, fried whiting, stewed figs, pheasant legs, collared tongue, kidneys on toast, sausages with fried bread, pigs cheek and Melton pork pie to your spread.”

But here we will not be xenophobic or prescriptive and vegan or vegetarian alternatives are also welcome.

Kedgeree? A side of mac and cheese? A Staffordshire oatcake? Fried plantains? Let’s see it.

Last edited:
This reminds me, I've not had a rowie, bacon and black pudding breakfast for a long time. I may need to rectify that very soon! Or at least get some tattie scones. :D

My excuse is that the pub at the end of my road has started doing a fairly reasonable fried breakfast with unlimited coffee for about seven quid - and starts serving it two hours before opening time. So it has become a Sunday treat.

I like the fruity pudding they serve with fried breakfasts in scotland, and would happily incorporate it in a cooked breakfast were it available here. I also once had something called 'cornish blood pudding' in a cornish breakfast once that was just spectacular...

I’d you’re looking for a dry narrow definition of a type of breakfast invented by marketers in the 1960s, look elsewhere. This thread embraces all of the traditions of These Islands and elsewhere, and will also examine post-1960s innovations, as well as returns to more historical breakfast items, as suggested by the English Breakfast Society. History Of The Traditional English Breakfast

“If you wanted to add even more tradition, try adding Anglo Saxon dishes like baked halibut steaks, fried whiting, stewed figs, pheasant legs, collared tongue, kidneys on toast, sausages with fried bread, pigs cheek and Melton pork pie to your spread.”

But here we will not be xenophobic or prescriptive and vegan or vegetarian alternatives are also welcome.

Kedgeree? A side of mac and cheese? A Staffordshire oatcake? Fried plantains? Let’s see it.
Derbyshire oat cake if you don't mind.
A recent breakfast with chips.

View attachment 308697
Those chips look like dreadful things that my ma got out of a freezer in the '70s

A full cooked brekkie could easily include steak or a beef burger. Steak, egg, tomatoes and chips make perfectly good breakfast, improved only with a decent pint.

Back
Top Bottom