Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Essex Thread: news, discussion, photos and more

FrintononSea_1138654589.jpg

many a happy childhood day spent digging up worms here

Griff said:
That's a classic. :D

I tried looking for that a while back, but thought it had been deleted.

Thankfully not. :D

A classic thread indeed. Romford is my home town and I should feel obliged to defend the place but if the electorate insisit on voting for the likes of Rossindell as their MP, it makes it a bit difficult! But then again, politics, particularly local politics in Havering is a very strange, parochial, pull up the drawbridge beast - lots of independents and ratepayers.

Mind you when I left home, I ended up not taking a step up but a step down to the delights of Thurrock - which being a unitary borough isn't technically part of Essex anymore!

Divisive Cotton said:
He's a wind-up merchant - he was brought up in Romford!
(Just read all the thread - it is funny)

...and those of us who had the dubious honour of being brought up in Romford are probably the best placed to make the most scathing comments on the place! After all it has changed a lot over the last 30 years...some changes for the best, others definitely for the worst. The decline of the once mighty Romford FC to the Essex Senior League being one of the changes for the worst IMHO...

portman said:
...and those of us who had the dubious honour of being brought up in Romford are probably the best placed to make the most scathing comments on the place! After all it has changed a lot over the last 30 years...some changes for the best, others definitely for the worst. The decline of the once mighty Romford FC to the Essex Senior League being one of the changes for the worst IMHO...

Did you work at Ford?

Everybody, sing together!

A13, trunkroad to the sea!

If you ever have to go to Shoeburyness
Take the A road, the OK road that's the best
Go motorin' on the A13

If you're looking for a thrill that's new
Take in Fords , Dartford Tunnel and the river too
Go motorin' on the A13

It starts down in Wapping
There ain't no stopping
By-pass Barking and straight through Dagenham
Down to Grays Thurrock
And rather near Basildon
Pitsea, Thundersley, Hadleigh, Leigh-On-Sea,
Chalkwell, Prittlewell
Southend's the end

If you ever have to go to Shoeburyness
Take the A road, the OK road that's the best
Go motorin' on the A13

Why oh why do people make these stupid fucking sweeping statements about 'being like Essex' or some such shit.

It's lazy and shit. Stop it. :facepalm:

Why oh why do people make these stupid fucking sweeping statements about 'being like Essex' or some such shit.

It's lazy and shit. Stop it. :facepalm:

It's not always lazy and shit, that's a bit of a sweeping statement IMO. Sometimes things are just exactly like Essex.

It's only becuase it is the "accepted" term to describe "chavness". I'm not saying it is correct, but you have to agree that if somebody makes a reference, most will understand straight away what is implied.

Boom Bye Bye like Buju I'm crucial. I'm an Essex boy; I may take some gettin' used to.

I love the place, but I never want to live there again for the rest of my life. The day they tore down Hollywoods in Romford, they tore the beating heart out of Essex.

The new film Fish Tank doesn't give Essex a good image, but I suppose that it really could have been set anywhere.......

Back
Top Bottom