Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Essex Thread: news, discussion, photos and more

Sweet FA said:
Me neither; my favourite being the 31 from Chelmsford to Maldon. Or maybe it was Maldon to Burnham.

Fuck, I have forgotten my routes :(

Isn't that the A414?

Hang on...these 'huffers'...are they a giant doughy thing with about half a litre of cream in them? I thought they were called 'jaws' on account of being so huge...

kyser_soze said:
Isn't that the A414?
I meant the bus route, but yeah I think it is.

The best road in Essex however...

Billy Bragg said:
If you ever go to Shoeburyness
Take the A road, the okay road that's the best
Go motorin' on the A13

If you're looking for a thrill that's new
Take in Fords, Dartford Tunnel and the river too
Go motorin' on the A13

It starts down in Wapping
There ain't no stopping
By-pass Barking and straight through Dagenham
Down to Grays Thurrock
And rather near Basildon
Pitsea, Thundersley, Hadleigh, Leigh-On-Sea,
Chalkwell, Prittlewell
Southend's the end

If you ever have to go to Shoeburyness
Take the A road, the okay road that's the best
Go motorin' on the A13

hammerntongues said:
Minnie , I did the 10 pin bowling as well , what about Roller Skating ??

On the Pier? Roller Skating on Pier Hill?

Couldn't roller-skate. Spent more time on my arse :oops:

Minnie_the_Minx said:
On the Pier? Roller Skating on Pier Hill?

Couldn't roller-skate. Spent more time on my arse :oops:

Just around the corner from Pier Hill , above one of the amusement arcades , circular track and rock n roll music , run by an old Ted , god only knows how it got included in schools games lessons but it was a teacher free zone ,I`m talking 74/5 ish probably way before your time.

Griff said:
When I move I'll have a Cambridge post-code even though I'll be living in Essex. :)

Mmm if you think Epping has that snobbiness to it wait till you get into Newport and Saffron, they don't like to think they are part of Essex.:rolleyes:

Tis a lovely looking part of the county though I used to visit there a lot when I worked for the Youth Offending Team. I loved those visits, driving through those little villages where the kids are all bored and either take loads of drugs or bash each other up.

When you go through the village just before Newport <I'm not sure if its Ugley or another one> there is copse of trees and I think some excentric lives there. I've never slowed down enough to really look but sometimes you can see where he has hung things on the trees, bits of old rubbish mainly and once I caught a glimpse of him pushing his wheelbarrow through the village. I think he is a well known local and the villagers all sort of tolerate or love him ...but try and find out for me Griff?:)

sparkling said:
Mmm if you think Epping has that snobbiness to it wait till you get into Newport and Saffron, they don't like to think they are part of Essex.:rolleyes:

I think Epping lost that snobbiness years ago. :D

Chelmsford is the king of Essex :mad: Full of loads of Barret homes and that now, and all the new estates are built without proper amounts of pubs and shops and i think they're shite.

Moulsham Street is fun to pub crawl down :)

Danbury is the highest part of Essex :cool:

Essex is indeed a county of contrasts - not just north vs south but even within a few miles in the same location.

Gourmet restuarant (The Bell) in Horndon-on-the-Hill with a delightful view over.... Corringham and Stanford-le-Hope - where there are some areas that are quite run down and with some people who are poverty stricken. It's the new town dream that has died. What stared out as bright hope for the future has turned into something more complex - yes a lot of people have moved out from London and built a good life for themselves but there are a growing number of casualties along the way.

There is certainly a north / south divide - most likely a result of London overspill into south Essex which has given this part of the county a completely diferent character to the north, particularly around Saffron Walden and Newport. Don't get me wrong - a lovely part of the world (and my daughter's boyfrind comes from there) but very different to the south in terms of the pace of life and demographics. It's nice to visit north Essex but I'm not sure I could live there. I much prefer the south as I find the people are more honest with you - no middle class pretension, just straight to the point!

Also, I couldn't live away from the Thames estuary. Even the grotty bits around Thurrock have a certain gritty integrity (and some great photo opportunities). And after a stroll down the seafront - or across Hadleigh Downs - finishing up at the Crooked Billet in Leigh-on-Sea for a drink and some food is the perfect end to a day out...

Ground Elder said:
I grew up in Chelmsford. When I was young it were all fields ;)

Me too, and am back there now :cool:

I remember orchards and fields, now housing estates. My finest memories were being a naughty youngster on what has now been built over :(. Where abouts in Chelmsford was your turf? Moulsham way for me :p

hammerntongues said:
Just around the corner from Pier Hill , above one of the amusement arcades , circular track and rock n roll music , run by an old Ted , god only knows how it got included in schools games lessons but it was a teacher free zone ,I`m talking 74/5 ish probably way before your time.

Well, I was near enough with Pier Hill. Yes I remember it. I was living in Southend then so NOT before my time :p

Think half of the amusements in Southend were run by Teds :D What a dump the Kursaal was :D

I live on the Middlesex/Essex border (quite litteraly. On the other side of my fence in my back garden is Essex!)

I went to Harlow on Sunday. They have a fantastic all you can eat chinese buffet and the worlds biggest Matalan and TK Maxx stores. They are the size of Stanstead Airport!

I'm from every Londoner's favourite summer bank holiday destination, the delightful seaside resort known as Clacton-on-Sea.

There's nothing quite like a swim in the sea of turds at Clacton beach. ;)

Dr Gonzo said:
I'm from every Londoner's favourite summer bank holiday destination, the delightful seaside resort known as Clacton-on-Sea.

You poor bastard :D

Dr Gonzo said:

In fairness you've got Walton just up the road, and while the town itself is a little tatty it's still got one of the nicer beaches on the East Anglian coast. Not as nice as Southwold but I have good memories of Walton from when I was a little kid...

kyser_soze said:
but I have good memories of Walton from when I was a little kid...

Yeah, must admit it was always a treat to go to Walton as a nipper. :)

portman said:
It's nice to visit north Essex but I'm not sure I could live there. I much prefer the south as I find the people are more honest with you - no wannabe middle class pretension, just straight to the point!

I despise people from north Essex, BBC Essex and The Daily Mail. Funnily enough they all go hand in hand. (Yes, I know BBC Essex has its studio in Southend).

I do, however, love living in south Essex. I was brought up on Canvey and though everyone mocks it, it's not the worst town (Tilbury, anyone?) in the county and I certainly never had any problems there and still don't when I go back. I now live in Southend and though my location could be better, the town itself is okay, if you can avoid the kids. Nice seafront, plenty of stuff to do and loads of places to walk.

Ribbit said:
I despise people from north Essex, BBC Essex and The Daily Mail. Funnily enough they all go hand in hand. (Yes, I know BBC Essex has its studio in Southend).

I live in North Essex now, and love the place. :)

Can't remember the last time I saw a Daily Mail though. Each time the car radio switches to Radio Essex, they're talking about the weather.

Ribbit said:
Sweeping generalisations. Great, aren't they? :p

Yeah, :D anyway I'm from East London originally so the general politeness and smiling happy faces of the North is a welcome change. :)

Griff said:
Yeah, :D anyway I'm from East London originally so the general politeness and smiling happy faces of the North is a welcome change. :)

Oh, that'll be why my generalisation doesn't apply to you.

Back
Top Bottom