Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Queue Watch: Dedicated BBC Queue Tracking discussion and analysis - HRH Her Majesty the Queen (Dec'd)

To stop people like us booking all the slots and not turning up?
Would have been easy to organise digital updates. Make the queue two hours long (plenty of time to check bags etc). Get a pre booked ticket to join that queue in ten or 10 minute slots? Not everyone is going to be a joker. Then the time is updated for the new waiting times. The two hour buffer expands and contracts to accommodate. . , That's off the top of my head. They had plenty of time to think this out, it's not like her death came as a surprise.

Would have been easy to organise digital updates. Make the queue two hours long (plenty of time to check bags etc). Get a pre booked ticket to join that queue in ten or 10 minute slots? Not everyone is going to be a joker. Then the time is updated for the new waiting times. The two hour buffer expands and contracts to accommodate. . , That's off the top of my head. They had plenty of time to think this out, it's not like her death came as a surprise.
Yeah but where's the spectacle in that?

Presumably that would mean all the tickets would disappear in a matter of seconds of each release, to the people quickest at hitting buttons on their multiple browser windows.

Having to physically turn up somewhere is quite a good way of giving the spaces to people who really want to go, rather than people good at gaming a booking system.

But I did wonder, having shown up at Southwark park, and queued to get your wristband, when you were then released into the bit of The Queue that went from there to Westminster, was there anything stopping you going and doing something else for several hours and then merging back into it once your position neared the Westminster compound?

Having to physically turn up somewhere is quite a good way of giving the spaces to people who really want to go, rather than people good at gaming a booking system.

But who cares? You end up with people in the queue either way.

Presumably that would mean all the tickets would disappear in a matter of seconds of each release, to the people quickest at hitting buttons on their multiple browser windows.

I think they should have had to physically turned up to get a ticket, just not queued in a line for 12 hours or more.
Surely just spending 10 hours in london wherever you like is better than spending 10 hours in london in a line doing nothing. Probably better for the economy too.

I think they should have had to physically turned up to get a ticket, just not queued in a line for 12 hours or more.
Surely just spending 10 hours in london wherever you like is better than spending 10 hours in london in a line doing nothing. Probably better for the economy too.
Indeed but there would be no spectacle, no visible sign of people expressing their grief. There does seem to be have been an attempt to convert respect and grief for Brenda into automatic support for Chucky, not sure at this stage just how successful it may or may not be.

I think they definitely wanted the spectacle and to be fair, it's quite effective isn't it. I've got to admit I was surprised the numbers involved were as low as they actually were - 250k is a lot of people of course but for context, it's roughly the number of people who go to a Championship game in an average week (nowhere near the figures for the Premier League). The way it was done was pretty good at maximising the media impact.

I think they definitely wanted the spectacle and to be fair, it's quite effective isn't it. I've got to admit I was surprised the numbers involved were as low as they actually were - 250k is a lot of people of course but for context, it's roughly the number of people who go to a Championship game in an average week (nowhere near the figures for the Premier League). The way it was done was pretty good at maximising the media impact.
This entirely. And the media coverage and spectacle of the queue no doubt brought more people to it. . . it's crazy to think that all that, todays transport links and the queens long service, that it was still 50,000 less than king george.

. . but yes, a really really surprisingly low turnout given the spectacle.

They’ve made a radio show about The Queue

Maybe one day there will be a soap opera about everyday folk who lived in the queue. Or a four part drama exploring the personal lives of four very different people who represent different aspects of Great Britain under Elizabeth 2. Commemoration plates available in the foyer.

I'm fairly sure there must have been a fairly high crossover of the people in the Queue who booked tickets months ago to stand in the windy rain last night to watch the Govt blow up shit when it's always far better on TV

I'm fairly sure there must have been a fairly high crossover of the people in the Queue who booked tickets months ago to stand in the windy rain last night to watch the Govt blow up shit when it's always far better on TV
I reckon in both cases they are disgusting, awful people who like to see stuff for real instead of watching it on the TV. I bet some of them go to football matches, and music festivals in person too. It's everything that's wrong with modern Britain.

I reckon in both cases they are disgusting, awful people who like to see stuff for real instead of watching it on the TV. I bet some of them go to football matches, and music festivals in person too. It's everything that's wrong with modern Britain.

It’s ok, they’re down to be first up against the wall.

Live events rather than TV you say?

images

Back
Top Bottom