Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Essex Thread: news, discussion, photos and more

I know where you're coming from, and after living in Epping for a number of years and seeing just what's happened to the place, I know where I prefer.

The local is great on a Friday night too. ;)

Ribbit said:
I despise people from north Essex, BBC Essex and The Daily Mail. Funnily enough they all go hand in hand. (Yes, I know BBC Essex has its studio in Southend).

I do, however, love living in south Essex. I was brought up on Canvey and though everyone mocks it, it's not the worst town (Tilbury, anyone?) in the county and I certainly never had any problems there and still don't when I go back. I now live in Southend and though my location could be better, the town itself is okay, if you can avoid the kids. Nice seafront, plenty of stuff to do and loads of places to walk.

I'm from Witham which is North Essex and that's only a hlaf familiar picture. Altho someone who comes from a part of Essex that returned the well known liberal anti-bigoy Teddy Taylor is hardly in a position to talk about a Daily Mail tendency...

Ribbit said:
I despise people from north Essex, BBC Essex and The Daily Mail. Funnily enough they all go hand in hand. (Yes, I know BBC Essex has its studio in Southend).

I do, however, love living in south Essex. I was brought up on Canvey and though everyone mocks it, it's not the worst town (Tilbury, anyone?) in the county and I certainly never had any problems there and still don't when I go back. I now live in Southend and though my location could be better, the town itself is okay, if you can avoid the kids. Nice seafront, plenty of stuff to do and loads of places to walk.

Oh, my uncle lived on Canvey. It is a dump really though isn't it. He lived near Hockley Woods before that

Ribbit said:

I do miss my daily walk along Eastern Esplanade :(

Nothing wrong with Canvey.

And what has Teddy Taylor got to do with anything? I didn't say people in Southend don't read the Mail, just that it's synonymous with middle-class wannabes.

kyser_soze said:
In fairness you've got Walton just up the road, and while the town itself is a little tatty it's still got one of the nicer beaches on the East Anglian coast. Not as nice as Southwold but I have good memories of Walton from when I was a little kid...

Lovely place Walton.

Many a wasted Sunday have I spent ten-pin bowling on Walton pier with mates.

And don't forget dear old Frinton-on-Sea, full of dear old biddies who have elected to barricade themselves from the rest of civillisation.

They tried to shut down their one only fish and chip shop because it was attracting the 'wrong kind of crowd'. :eek:

Groucho said:
200px-

Denise Outen (pictured above) is living proof of that. (She added the Van bit to make her name more exotic sounding).

Nonsense, her name comes from the Dutch for "Likes to travel in a transit".

Dr G - is the one and only pub in Frinton still open? I heard it had closed down due to lack of busiess after much huffing and puffing cos FoS is a dry town...

wen ah last went back to sahffend ah was scareded cus everione was wite :( ah fort ah was gona get stabbed :(

Ribbit said:
I do, however, love living in south Essex. I was brought up on Canvey and though everyone mocks it, it's not the worst town (Tilbury, anyone?)

I'll see your Tilbury and raise you an Ockendon :D

fuckinhell and Vange :D

Ribbit said:
Pitsea! ...Or the aptly named Basildump.

grays, anyone? my home town. recently read in martin lux's book 'antifascist' about the 1976 NF march through grays, which i recall as my first political event.
Lux's descriptions of grays are less than complementary... and he ain't wrong, sad to say.

when i was a nipper my playground was the chalk quarries that is now chafford hundred. the landscape then (1970's) was reminiscent of tarkovsky's 'stalker' and a source of imagination and fantasy for kids during those long summer afternoons. 'progress' has seen it replaced by a barratt-style shoebox village.
if you want to see the mundane, suburban horror that the thames gateway regeneration will become visit chafford hundred... :mad:

haggy said:
if you want to see the mundane, suburban horror that the thames gateway regeneration will become visit chafford hundred... :mad:

Indeed.

The old cinema in Grays - a great Art Decco empty building - should be renovated and opened. The 19thC High Street turned into a 1970s pedestrianised shopping precinct with indoor shopping centre, Woolies, WHSmith's etc is like a throw back. I walked into Woolies expecting to see rows of vinyl - K-Tel records and so forth. Pleased to see they still stock Space Hoppers.

haggy said:
has seen it replaced by a barratt-style shoebox village.

Just don't go there - that's my advise.

kyser_soze said:
Dr G - is the one and only pub in Frinton still open? I heard it had closed down due to lack of busiess after much huffing and puffing cos FoS is a dry town...

Think it's still there but then I've been away for a year so I might be wrong.

There's something very disturbing about the whole town if you ask me... people go in but I hear no-one ever leaves... it's all very local. :eek:

Dr Gonzo said:
Think it's still there but then I've been away for a year so I might be wrong.

There's something very disturbing about the whole town if you ask me... people go in but I hear no-one ever leaves... it's all very local. :eek:

Didn't Frinton not even have a Fish and Chip shop? (or am I getting it mixed up with somewhere else?)

Minnie_the_Minx said:
Didn't Frinton not even have a Fish and Chip shop? (or am I getting it mixed up with somewhere else?)

I'm not sure whether the worthy citizens of Frinton have now relented and there is a chippie in the town but the place was renowned for not having one. It was seen as having the potential to 'attract the wrong kind of person to the town'. For Gawds sake, even Southwold up in Suffolk which is as posh as anywhere can be has a fish and chip cafe - what makes a stifling, boring place like Frinton so special?!

portman said:
I'm not sure whether the worthy citizens of Frinton have now relented and there is a chippie in the town but the place was renowned for not having one. It was seen as having the potential to 'attract the wrong kind of person to the town'. For Gawds sake, even Southwold up in Suffolk which is as posh as anywhere can be has a fish and chip cafe - what makes a stifling, boring place like Frinton so special?!

Have googled and yes, they did get a fish and chip shop in 1992. A few years ago the residents were up in arms as the owner of the chip shop wanted to sell ice-cream :D

Here's an interesting link here

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4153/is_20020108/ai_n9547832

"People come to Frinton for what it has not got" :D

"It took JD Wetherspoon, the pub chain, years of planning battles and a fortune in legal costs before they were allowed to open in a former ironmongers shop."

I have a new found respect now for Frinton residents after reading that...

JD Wetherspoon = The McDonald's of pubs.

The trouble with Essex is that it's served by the woeful ONE trains.

Despite being a busy station we get one bloody train an hour on Sundays here in Enfield Lock.

Boo!

PacificOcean said:
The trouble with Essex is that it's served by the woeful ONE trains.

Despite being a busy station we get one bloody train an hour on Sundays here in Enfield Lock.

Boo!

We get 1 every half an hour where we are. During rush hour. :D

Griff said:
We get 1 every half an hour where we are. During rush hour. :D

We only get two trains an hour during rush hour too, unless you want to go to Stratford. :(

And ONE have started the habit of running short trains of four cars too which means if you are getting on at Tottenham Hale you are buggered.

Out of interest what is your station?

PacificOcean said:
We only get two trains during rush hour too, unless you want to go to Stratford. :(

And ONE have started the habit of running short trains of four cars too which means if you are getting on at Tottenham Hale you are buggered.

You must be on the line my wife uses, as she goes through Tottenham Hale.

Luckily she always gets a seat in the morning on her way to Liverpool Street.

I haven't used the line myself yet, as I drive into work.

Griff said:
You must be on the line my wife uses, as she goes through Tottenham Hale.

Luckily she always gets a seat in the morning on her way to Liverpool Street.

I haven't used the line myself yet, as I drive into work.

Are you on the Cambridge line? Once you go past Harlow it's very nice that way.

Back
Top Bottom