Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Cranberries are a Top50 band in History

I don't really understand insulting particular bands - and yes I'd agree it's insulting the fans and almost trying to put them off liking the music they do.

I don't like Abba for example but I wouldn't dream of insulting the music - I can understand why people do like them, and they do (I understand) have complex musical progressions.

It's almost like the insulter isn't sure about liking the music they themselves like, and have to try to put other people off the music they like.

oh come on there are loads of bands that deserve a slagging off. worth slagging off, quite rightly.

oh come on there are loads of bands that deserve a slagging off. worth slagging off, quite rightly.
You're right, clearly, but what are the criteria?

pretentious? I've seen that of King Crimson because they have complicated time signatures which to me grab hold of you

can't play their instruments? That's a lot of punk

sings flat? Incredible String Band's out then

pappy - i.e. all 'popular' music now? There I'd agree with you, I've not listened to anyone since Hybrid and Massive Attack but if someone enjoys it then they enjoy it, and I'm not sure insulting it helps.

What do you think about the slurathon in the middle? Knopfler playing a character, or is that a bit Morrissey in Bengali in Platforms? i.e. Sounds plausible, but possibly his real persona.
I remember seeing a doc where the posh studio crew were explaining how money for nothing came about. "knopfler", as they kept calling him because I'd guess they were public schoolboys, nicked some worker's banter and put it to music. It's still fucking horrible. According to Simon Goddard's book, even though it's a hagiography, the earlier versions of bengali in platforms are even worse.

I remember seeing a doc where the posh studio crew were explaining how money for nothing came about. "knopfler", as they kept calling him because I'd guess they were public schoolboys, nicked some worker's banter and put it to music. It's still fucking horrible. According to Simon Goddard's book, even though it's a hagiography, the earlier versions of bengali in platforms are even worse.

I honestly believed that Morrissey was using the song to tell a story, and that it that the 'when you belong here' line was actually beautiful and wistful.

Rather fucking wrong about that, it turned out.

You're right, clearly, but what are the criteria?

pretentious? I've seen that of King Crimson because they have complicated time signatures which to me grab hold of you

can't play their instruments? That's a lot of punk

sings flat? Incredible String Band's out then

pappy - i.e. all 'popular' music now? There I'd agree with you, I've not listened to anyone since Hybrid and Massive Attack but if someone enjoys it then they enjoy it, and I'm not sure insulting it helps.

well, you choose your own weapons. there is some great pop music around now of course. Loads of dross toobut there always has been. not that I listen to radio one. It mostly annoyed me even when I was younger.

I certainly notice you nervous

Welcome to urban, Crannadict

You'll find that this place is full of insightful debate about music and none of that puerile stuff that you'd find in your schooldays or Youtube.

And yes, The Cranberries are the greatest musical artists to come out of Limerick, aside from Aphex Twin and The Rubberbandits of course.

In the meantime, recommend Bitch Falcon and Pillow Queens to you. These bands are from Dublin, which has produced some of the greatest bands in the known universe.

one way you could avoid having your feelings hurt by people saying your favourite band is crap would be to not read the thread called 'crap or not crap: your favourite band', cause there's a good chance there'll be some people in there calling your favourite band crap. that'd be my tip.

Another way would be to avoid cunts like you.

You seriously think that? That's quite astonishing.

It isn't if you think about it.
Music is the language of emotion and memories. You know that the amigdala is affected directly by music? Your brain actually gets triggered enotionally by music.
So it's really very personal. A particular song can bring instant recollections of a time in your life or someone you loved .

Last edited:
I can understand that. All my friends love the rolling stones. I think they're shit apart from the odd one or two. My choice of music is always laughed at but I don't give a fuck now, although when I was younger it was hurtful when people sneered and laughed. Almost Like it was an assault on my intelligence if that makes sense.

Spot on @Calamity71
And when the person doing the ctiticising gets worse when they KNOW that you're really close to the band and singer......it's not only an assault on your intelligence...it's a direct assault on you as a person.

Last edited:
I think some people just like different things is all
What you mean is you hate the Irish.

You fucking monster.

In case anyone doesn't understand this, I don't really think killer b hates Irish people or is a fucking monster (although he does have rather dubious musical taste). This comment is an ironic reference to some of the stupidity posted on the previous thread.

What you mean is you hate the Irish.

You fucking monster.

In case anyone doesn't understand this, I don't really think killer b hates Irish people or is a fucking monster (although he does have rather dubious musical taste). This comment is an ironic reference to some of the stupidity posted on the previous thread.

Well that's really helpful

Well that's really helpful
I wasn't going to post further on this subject, but since you've jumped straight in, I'll just say that your post on the previous thread which basically accused two posters of not liking the Cranberries because they were Irish rather than from the UK was a fucking disgrace and you should be ashamed of yourself.

This thread is now going ignore.

I wasn't going to post further on this subject, but since you've jumped straight in, I'll just say that your post on the previous thread which basically accused two posters of not liking the Cranberries because they were Irish rather than from the UK was a fucking disgrace and you should be ashamed of yourself.

This thread is now going ignore.
Actually that's not what happened. There was a comment made which was obviously anti catholic and I responded to that.
I think what you missed is the persistent nastiness posted about Dolores..which worsened when they realised that there was a real life connection.

Last edited:
I always thought the Cranberries were okay — quite good, but I was a bit take it or leave it at the time. We do a cover of Linger in our band, though, and putting it together gave me a fresh respect for how much is going on in their music. There’s some clever countermelody stuff and it has a real progression to it, not just repeating the same thing again and again.

I kind of associate them with The Corrs but we also do a cover of Runaway and that really is basic, not in the same class at all. One of the most popular things we do though, so there’s no accounting for taste

Last edited:
I'm only kidding. Discipline's great. It's the best version of the band with some of the best material just I don't think they slay it in the studio like they do with some of the live footage. Somehow Discipline's a little dry IMO.

I'm only kidding. Discipline's great. It's the best version of the band with some of the best material just I don't think they slay it in the studio like they do with some of the live footage. Somehow Discipline's a little dry IMO.
Fair play, I just watch them playing Discipline in awe (when I'm not trying and mainly failing to follow the beat).

Back
Top Bottom