Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Cranberries are a Top50 band in History

1. Stephen Street is/was the producer of The Smiths, and also Morrissey solo career, The Cranberries and Blur. Among many other artists

Thanks
2. For me and for many people it does work, 30 years after its time. And as you can see, it also worked from a business point of view. It is strange that you admit that this band is not for everyone, and yet on this forum I have had enough of reading that they were commercial pop. Both affirmations are antithesis.

It is a bit of both though. Commercial overall sound with a divisive singing style. Yes I can see how it works for you and many, many others. But many others hate it or feel indifferent to it. They weren't playing for the latter, so it doesn't matter does it?

Thanks

It is a bit of both though. Commercial overall sound with a divisive singing style. Yes I can see how it works for you and many, many others. But many others hate it or feel indifferent to it. They weren't playing for the latter, so it doesn't matter does it?
You have been respectful at all times, even when you have expressed your honest opinion about Dolores. And obviously I assume that a lot of people are not going to like The Cranberries and Dolores, that's the beauty of music. If we all agreed it would be terrible.

the fact that something can be 'not for everyone' but still successful is hardly surprising, and not contradictory in the slightest. Coldplay are dreadfully popular but lots of people fucking detest them with a passion that isn't worth raising for...certain other bands.

Last edited:
the fact that something can be 'not' for everyone but still successful is hardly surprising, and not contradictory in the slightest. Coldplay are dreadfully popular but lots of people fucking detest them with a passion that isn't worth raising for...certain other bands.
The Cranberries have been totally inconsequential for 36 pages, in fact bands like L7 shit on the Irish band, and at one point it has become a band similar to Coldplay.

Magic!

Yet absolutely nowhere to be seen in this list of over ONE HUNDRED of biggest selling music artists of all time.

I don't know why you're doing this because I'm really not sure if massive popularity is a good or a bad thing. But Zombie gets 1.1 billion views on youtube. I can't find any Beatles songs with that many views.

Last year in the office I did a little "play some songs off youtube that are apocalypse inspired" because of Covid and everything. REM have an obvious one, and somebody suggested Zombie because, you know zombies and apocalypses. I did a double take on the then 1 billion views. Wow turns out the Cranberries and that song in particular strike a chord with A LOT of people. It's still a bit meh to me. But there you go.

Yet absolutely nowhere to be seen in this list of over ONE HUNDRED of biggest selling music artists of all time.

that is quite an astounding list, in many ways. Rihanna shits on every other woman apart from Madonna! I mean I know she was popular, but that much more than everyone else, who'd have think it? Eminem's popularity too is even bigger than I'd have guessed.

Most notable is that there are so few acts who aren't from anglophone countries. ABBA sing entirely in english, Julio Iglesias switched between english & spanish. Johnny Hallyday sneaks in at the bottom of the list and then there are two japanese acts, neither of which I've ever heard of. I'm surprised the more popular one is the heavy(ish) rock act B'z rather than the j-pop dude. They've sold more than Bob Dylan, Prince, the Beach Boys! Astounding stuff.

I don't know why you're doing this because I'm really not sure if massive popularity is a good or a bad thing. But Zombie gets 1.1 billion views on youtube. I can't find any Beatles songs with that many views.

Last year in the office I did a little "play some songs off youtube that are apocalypse inspired" because of Covid and everything. REM have an obvious one, and somebody suggested Zombie because, you know zombies and apocalypses. I did a double take on the then 1 billion views. Wow turns out the Cranberries and that song in particular strike a chord with A LOT of people. It's still a bit meh to me. But there you go.
There is no denying it, 1 billion views of anything is fucking astounding. But its a daft metric to choose against a band who were around before making videos was a thing. There is an official version of Zombie 99% of people will play whereas the Beatles' will be split of several versions of the same song.

There is no denying it, 1 billion views of anything is fucking astounding. But its a daft metric to choose against a band who were around before making videos was a thing. There is an official version of Zombie 99% of people will play whereas the Beatles' will be split of several versions of the same song.

True enough, but adding up the different versions of Beatles songs won't get you to a billion in any of the cases I've looked at.

Apparently the biggest song on Youtube is the Baby Shark Dance on near 8.9 billion.

The data of 1.1 billion views on YT only indicates how badly televisions and radios choose the hits of the bands. Clearly, Zombie became a '90s anthem for two reasons:
1. It is a protest song against a conflict that has lasted about 90 years (or 400, depending on how you look at it).
2. That song is played by The CRanberries, who had previously been successful with a beautiful album of dremapop, post-punk and folk-rock overtones. Zombie is a hard-rock song with a heavy metal solo, totally different from Dreams or Linger.

If Zombie had been composed by a band like Jane's Addiction it would have gone completely unnoticed. I could honestly find 30 songs better than Zombie on The Cranberries discography, many of them on Side B of the first 4 albums.

The merit of The Cranberries is not that Zombie has that many reproductions, most of them are from random people who care little about the song or have even been redirected to it. The merits of The Cranberries are the 305 million from Linger, the 190 from Dreams, the 120 from Ode To My Family, the 105 from When You're Gone, the 115 from the 1999 Zombie Direct, the 50 from Promises, the 80 from Animal Instinct and many other songs that exceed 15 million.

These data are what show that his legacy lives on, and not a superhit placed by the Media, totally distorting what Dolores meant by Zombie.

The data of 1.1 billion views on YT only indicates how badly televisions and radios choose the hits of the bands. Clearly, Zombie became a '90s anthem for two reasons:
1. It is a protest song against a conflict that has lasted about 90 years (or 400, depending on how you look at it).
2. That song is played by The CRanberries, who had previously been successful with a beautiful album of dremapop, post-punk and folk-rock overtones. Zombie is a hard-rock song with a heavy metal solo, totally different from Dreams or Linger.

If Zombie had been composed by a band like Jane's Addiction it would have gone completely unnoticed. I could honestly find 30 songs better than Zombie on The Cranberries discography, many of them on Side B of the first 4 albums.
A is why many of us hate it. It’s a risibly crude history of the struggle for Irish independence that simply insults people martyred for the cause.

What do you mean by this? That The Cranberries was an Alt-Rock or Indie-Rock band for not having reached 75 million sales? Do you know how many albums Radiohead, Alice In Chains, Soundgarden, Stone Temple Pilots or The Smashing Pumpkins have sold?

I'll tell you, between 20 and 38 million, The Cranberries have sold 45/48 million. And that?

Thin Lizzy has sold 15 million and is possibly slightly better than The Cranberries

A is why many of us hate it. It’s a risibly crude history of the struggle for Irish independence that simply insults people martyred for the cause.
I don't get the point. Dolores is only expressing her grief over the death of two children, that's it. Has no political, religious or ethnic background, NONE

The merit of The Cranberries is not that Zombie has that many reproductions, most of them are from random people who care little about the song or have even been redirected to it. The merits of The Cranberries are the 305 million from Linger, the 190 from Dreams, the 120 from Ode To My Family, the 105 from When You're Gone, the 115 from the 1999 Zombie Direct, the 50 from Promises, the 80 from Animal Instinct and many other songs that exceed 15 million.

These data are what show that his legacy lives on, and not a superhit placed by the Media, totally distorting what Dolores meant by Zombie.
Yeah the numbers drop off massively after their biggest hit. But they’re still pretty popular. But so what? Sales figures and views merely tell us if something is popular, that’s different to being good.

I don't get the point. Dolores is only expressing her grief over the death of two children, that's it. Has no political, religious or ethnic background, NONE
So it isn’t about what you said in A then? Make your fucking mind up.

if it is simply about dying in wars being bad then it is unutterably trite.

Yeah the numbers drop off massively after their biggest hit. But they’re still pretty popular. But so what? Sales figures and views merely tell us if something is popular, that’s different to being good.
Drop? Do you know how many bands in the world would kill their peers for having the 305 million views that Linger has?

Look for the band Paramore, a good band with a female vocalist from the mid-2000s, where YT already existed. His video with the highest number of views has 365. A band founded 15 years after The Cranberries.

Clearly, you don't know how to interpret the data. Obviously, I will never use the example of bands from the 60s and 70s with far fewer reproductions than The Cranberries, because the older the band, the less the potential audience on YT is reduced. Because it is presumed that the youngest people are the ones who consume the New Technologies the most

So it isn’t about what you said in A then? Make your fucking mind up.

if it is simply about dying in wars being bad then it is unutterably trite.
It is a regret, these songs are usually labeled as protest songs. And this had no political elements, as did Sunday Bloody Sunday. Obviously Dolores wanted the conflict to end with that song, didn't all parties, including many factions of the I.R.A., want it?

Drop? Do you know how many bands in the world would kill their peers for having the 305 million views that Linger has?

Look for the band Paramore, a good band with a female vocalist from the mid-2000s, where YT already existed. His video with the highest number of views has 365. A band founded 15 years after The Cranberries.

Clearly, you don't know how to interpret the data. Obviously, I will never use the example of bands from the 60s and 70s with far fewer reproductions than The Cranberries, because the older the band, the less the potential audience on YT is reduced. Because it is presumed that the youngest people are the ones who consume the New Technologies the most
How many bands have killed their peers over something like their number of views?

So one 90s band you never heard of is skunk anansie

I can only conclude that your championing the unfortunate cranberries is due to an inadequate musical education
Why are you changing the subject? yes, I have listened to many of Anansie's songs. What does it have to do? Do I have to report you for changing the subject?

Except you did make such comparisons.

but so what? No one has ever denied that this band were popular. I am surprised at just how popular, and one billion views is astounding.

still doesn’t mean they were actually any good though.

and the lyrics to zombie are no better than War is Stupid.

Back
Top Bottom