Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Cranberries are a Top50 band in History

Yet by employing your Spotify Stream Total Guide to Musical Excellence, The Police crush the Cranberries with nearly a billion streams for Every Breath You Take, therefore they must be betterer than them. FACT.

I was thinking about that on the bog but couldn't be bothered to research it. Thanks.

And yet Dolores's voice is still present in millions and millions of people, that you decided to listen to The Cranberries in the background or ignore them does not mean that the rest did.

Assume reality, that The Cranberries are a mythical band from the 90s, a great band that you decided to ignore and from which you have never heard a complete album. A band that you classified as anodyne without ever having been given the opportunity, and that now you try to make us believe that it is not a great band of its time because "I listened to other things"
What's Spanish for Anodyne?

OK I've listen to a few songs from the Peel session and from the first album. I sort of get it now. There's a world of difference in terms of production values between the two. Peel sessions are rough as fuck and the album is very polished. There's something quite intimate and direct in Dolores' delivery and as a singer she's all over the place. It's a weird thing, this very commercial sound combined with a very marmite singer (good grief that fade out on Dreams - what the hell is going on there!). That very commercial 90's sound is very off putting to me, but there's something in it that seems very personal and in fact amateurish like the producer is milking something that wants to be more direct and less radio friendly.

Dolores was a really poor singer from any technical point of view. It's like listening to somebody on Tiktok giving it a go and that's not necessarily a problem, it's about making a connection not hitting the notes (or the beats for that matter). The thing that's irritating me, is that she's not right up front in the mix because there's not much going on with the band. I want it more stripped down and more Dolores front and centre. She's pretty dreadful, but at the same time she's the only thing to love about it. The production takes the edge off it, but let it be what it is.

Also dunno how to stop it making this a quote?
i think you need to hit return again, if you're doing it on a phone. Tis weird and annoying, but seems to work.

SK were supporting when Nevermind made it big. Nirvana (whether they themselves or their booking agents) often had female fronted bands as support to counteract any macho bullshit from fans. L7 were a frequent support, iirr. Both of them shit on the Cranberries, obvs.

Tad are clearly the best band in the world though, cos Nirvana supported them at more gigs than anyone else.

OK I've listen to a few songs from the Peel session and from the first album. I sort of get it now. There's a world of difference in terms of production values between the two. Peel sessions are rough as fuck and the album is very polished. There's something quite intimate and direct in Dolores' delivery and as a singer she's all over the place. It's a weird thing, this very commercial sound combined with a very marmite singer (good grief that fade out on Dreams - what the hell is going on there!). That very commercial 90's sound is very off putting to me, but there's something in it that seems very personal and in fact amateurish like the producer is milking something that wants to be more direct and less radio friendly.

I already know that Stephen is a great producer, mainly because he has also been a musician and knows the nuances that he must polish. But trying to make me believe that the merit of EEIDISWCW being a 9.5 / 10 record solely and exclusively to Street is nonsense.

Dolores was a really poor singer from any technical point of view. It's like listening to somebody on Tiktok giving it a go and that's not necessarily a problem, it's about making a connection not hitting the notes (or the beats for that matter). The thing that's irritating me, is that she's not right up front in the mix because there's not much going on with the band. I want it more stripped down and more Dolores front and centre. She's pretty dreadful, but at the same time she's the only thing to love about it. The production takes the edge off it, but let it be what it is.

I have already read sometime, along with the fact of not hiding or mitigating breathing. However, that's what fans like about Dolores's voice. The naturalness and imperfectly beautiful her velvety voice was. That's why Miss Wheeler failed, because she tried to make her voice sound perfect, and that's a very serious mistake.

That peel session was good. It all makes sense now. Ironically it has next to no views on youtube.
The Peel Session shows what it is; a band of 4 18 and 20 year old children who have only been playing for 7 months, and who must be managed by someone who understands in order to unleash the enormous potential they had.

And that was what happened ;)

I already know that Stephen is a great producer, mainly because he has also been a musician and knows the nuances that he must polish. But trying to make me believe that the merit of EEIDISWCW being a 9.5 / 10 record solely and exclusively to Street is nonsense.

I appreciate English isn't your first language but this is a bit hard unpick, it doesn't help that I don't know who Stephen and Street are.

I have already read sometime, along with the fact of not hiding or mitigating breathing. However, that's what fans like about Dolores's voice. The naturalness and imperfectly beautiful her velvety voice was. That's why Miss Wheeler failed, because she tried to make her voice sound perfect, and that's a very serious mistake.

Absolutely. But at the same time it's to be expected that a lot of people will really dislike her singing. It has the merit of not being for everyone. And that's why the whole great band/not a great band thing doesn't work.

The Peel Session shows what it is; a band of 4 18 and 20 year old children who have only been playing for 7 months, and who must be managed by someone who understands in order to unleash the enormous potential they had.

And that was what happened ;)

I think that was their potential realised. It's organic, they're playing off each other and crucially Dolores doesn't sound out of place. They're playing like they mean it.

I appreciate English isn't your first language but this is a bit hard unpick, it doesn't help that I don't know who Stephen and Street are.
Stephen Street - he's the producer, did The Smiths before this lot.

And i think dear carn is completely (deliberately?) misinterpreting your post to say you prefer your turds well polished.

Absolutely. But at the same time it's to be expected that a lot of people will really dislike her singing. It has the merit of not being for everyone. And that's why the whole great band/not a great band thing doesn't work.
1. Stephen Street is/was the producer of The Smiths, and also Morrissey solo career, The Cranberries and Blur. Among many other artists

2. For me and for many people it does work, 30 years after its time. And as you can see, it also worked from a business point of view. It is strange that you admit that this band is not for everyone, and yet on this forum I have had enough of reading that they were commercial pop. Both affirmations are antithesis.

I think that was their potential realised. It's organic, they're playing off each other and crucially Dolores doesn't sound out of place. They're playing like they mean it.

And most importantly, without being a band for everyone, they have sold 50 million records

Back
Top Bottom