Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Alt-Right

Like I said, I haven't read it so it sounds like I misunderstood the premise of the book from your post. Apologies. But, are you saying there is no such thing as class as an identity? Are you also saying there is no such thing as structural racism? Are you suggesting there's just fresh air between and no connections between race and class, in America, or anywhere else?
JFC where to start. I can't answer for danny but
a) class identity exists but is far less important than class as structural basis of society.
b) Do you really think that someone is saying that structural racism doesn't exist and there is no connection between race and class when they are referencing a book whose precis is:

Racecraft
The Soul of Inequality in American Life
by Karen E. Fields and Barbara J. Fields

Tackling the myth of a post-racial society.

Most people assume that racism grows from a perception of human difference: the fact of race gives rise to the practice of racism. Sociologist Karen E. Fields and historian Barbara J. Fields argue otherwise: the practice of racism produces the illusion of race, through what they call “racecraft.” And this phenomenon is intimately entwined with other forms of inequality in American life. So pervasive are the devices of racecraft in American history, economic doctrine, politics, and everyday thinking that the presence of racecraft itself goes unnoticed.

That the promised post-racial age has not dawned, the authors argue, reflects the failure of Americans to develop a legitimate language for thinking about and discussing inequality. That failure should worry everyone who cares about democratic institutions.​

I haven't read it yet either but i looked it up!

The thing of addressing tweets to White Women is common practice in some quarters of twitter, its nothing unusual. I agree it has big problems (just like when people write things blaming 'Men' for whatever) but personally instead of railing against the form every time it gets repeated I prefer to look at my own kneejerk discomfort when reading those tweets and see what it is that i'm feeling so defensive about.
I had a lovely weekend away, so only skimming through pages posted while I was away. Christ, are people really getting their panties in such a bunch about an article talking about how white women enable white supremacist men because it didn't say "but not all white women" in neon lights? It's just a variation on the ever popular "not all men" theme, isn't it?

If you fit the broad description of who they're talking about (e.g. white, male, straight, not disabled, etc.) but you know you don't do the things they're describing, just move on, and know they aren't talking about you. If you do get that kneejerk discomfort you describe, yes, sit with it, unpick it, work it through, but shutting the other person down isn't the way to "fix" it.

Expecting someone talking about their experience of structural racism, sexism, etc. to qualify every statement with, "but of course not all . . . are like that," means expecting them to put your feelings first, soothe your discomfort, reassure you your not one of the bad guys. It's making your support for anti-racism, sexual equality, etc. extremely conditional, which is pretty fucking useless - worse, it's perpetuating and validating their oppression. (I don't mean you personally Bimble, just to be clear!)

I had a lovely weekend away, so only skimming through pages posted while I was away. Christ, are people really getting their panties in such a bunch about an article talking about how white women enable white supremacist men because it didn't say "but not all white women" in neon lights? It's just a variation on the ever popular "not all men" theme, isn't it?

If you fit the broad description of who they're talking about (e.g. white, male, straight, not disabled, etc.) but you know you don't do the things they're describing, just move on, and know they aren't talking about you. If you do get that kneejerk discomfort you describe, yes, sit with it, unpick it, work it through, but shutting the other person down isn't the way to "fix" it.

Expecting someone talking about their experience of structural racism, sexism, etc. to qualify every statement with, "but of course not all . . . are like that," means expecting them to put your feelings first, soothe your discomfort, reassure you your not one of the bad guys. It's making your support for anti-racism, sexual equality, etc. extremely conditional, which is pretty fucking useless - worse, it's perpetuating and validating their oppression. (I don't mean you personally Bimble, just to be clear!)

There are no politics here, just a twitter etiquette guide.

It's got nothing to do with feelings or discomfort, it's an illustration of some quite fundamental political differences.

...and how is this bullshit misrepresentation helping this discussion progress?

It's not a misrepresentation at all of what CRI is defending, it's the way in which anyone outside of a minority of what is basically a subculture would regard those words to mean. Collective blame was assigned to white women for the murder of a white woman by fascists, it makes no sense at all, people don't experience 'kneejerk discomfort' about that because they have something to 'unpick', they are uncomfortable because it is a disgusting thing to say.

JFC where to start. I can't answer for danny but
a) class identity exists but is far less important than class as structural basis of society.
b) Do you really think that someone is saying that structural racism doesn't exist and there is no connection between race and class when they are referencing a book whose precis is:

Racecraft
The Soul of Inequality in American Life
by Karen E. Fields and Barbara J. Fields

Tackling the myth of a post-racial society.

Most people assume that racism grows from a perception of human difference: the fact of race gives rise to the practice of racism. Sociologist Karen E. Fields and historian Barbara J. Fields argue otherwise: the practice of racism produces the illusion of race, through what they call “racecraft.” And this phenomenon is intimately entwined with other forms of inequality in American life. So pervasive are the devices of racecraft in American history, economic doctrine, politics, and everyday thinking that the presence of racecraft itself goes unnoticed.

That the promised post-racial age has not dawned, the authors argue, reflects the failure of Americans to develop a legitimate language for thinking about and discussing inequality. That failure should worry everyone who cares about democratic institutions.​

I haven't read it yet either but i looked it up!
Thanks for the Cliff Notes version.

I find the last sentence puzzling though. Any leaders promising a "post-racial" age have either been incredibly optimistic (e.g. Obama) or spouting empty platitudes (just about every GOP politician in my lifetime.) I don't think there is genuine impetus for developing the language to discuss inequality, let alone dismantle the structures and institutions that perpetuate inequality. I think we're seeing how easy it is for the thin veneer of freedom, equality, liberty, opportunity, democracy, civility, and all the other words Americans have always liked to drop when describing how unique, special and morally superior our nation is, to be blown away. Perhaps it was written we got to the place we're in now, where it's looking like those "democratic institutions" are being undermined, I think, to the point of no return. :(

I mean, tactically it is very bad, counter-solidaristic and a lot of emphasis has been placed on that in this thread but let's face it on a moral level it is indefensible too.

It's not a misrepresentation at all of what CRI is defending, it's the way in which anyone outside of a minority of what is basically a subculture would regard those words to mean. Collective blame was assigned to white women for the murder of a white woman by fascists, it makes no sense at all, people don't experience 'kneejerk discomfort' about that because they have something to 'unpick', they are uncomfortable because it is a disgusting thing to say.

No, that is the worst, most repulsive, possible reading of what was written. Just because you insist it is what she (the author) meant it doesn't make it so.
Seriously stop it. She was clear enough for many of us. Argue she could have been more explicit yes, but this is bullshit.

No, that is the worse possible reading of what was written. Just because you insist it is what she (the author) meant it doesn't make it so.
Seriously stop it.

When the 'worst possible reading' is the literal reading, perhaps what was written is the problem rather than the interpretation of it.

White woman gets killed by a fascist, what response is best? Oh, let's blame white women for existing. Very healthy, very normal.
Come on now, that's not a remotely fair rendering of what the woman wrote is it, its dishonest to paraphrase as you have, as if she was seriously asserting that in her view ALL white women screw and nurture nazis. Do you get this angry every time you see a statement about 'men' ?
I suppose you probably do, which is in my opinion a massive waste of energy.

some white women...
certain white women...
these white women... (probably best for that tweet thread)
structurally white women... (although tbh in the context of that particular anecdote I don't think this works)

There's loads if individual, short words that can simply qualify that kind of statement. People don't like being generalised about and it's worth avoiding.

White woman gets killed by a fascist, what response is best? Oh, let's blame white women for existing. Very healthy, very normal.

Mahroh Jahangiri's words do seem to have touched off almost as much outrage and discussion as people getting murdered in the streets by fascists.

Is she somebody a lot of people had heard of before this week? Her most recent tweet asks people to use the correct pronoun for a wheelchair user maced during the protests who prefers to be referred to as "they" instead of something gender-specific.

I'm sure she has valid points and all, but when Nazis are actually killing people in the streets, #NotAllWhitePeople seems like more of a distraction than anything.

Last edited:
When the 'worst possible reading' is the literal reading, perhaps what was written is the problem rather than the interpretation of it.

Bullshit. It's not literal, it's your reading. Positioning yourself as some all seeing and all knowing eye is really arrogant.

Yeah its just a twitter language thing, storm in a silly twitter teacup. But if you're not aware of the 'not all men' meme that's been a joke for years then maybe this is all new to you and worth getting outraged about.

Reactions: CRI
Going back to look at the tweet, the author does go on to clarify what she means as being much more universal than what some are claiming here, and I in good faith assumed she might actually mean.

She is literally saying that white women, people here, are complicit in the murder of Heather Heyer. Christ.

Going back to look at the tweet, the author does go on to clarify what she means as being much more universal than what some are claiming here, and I in good faith assumed she might actually mean.

She is literally saying that white women, people here, are complicit in the murder of Heather Heyer. Christ.

Who gives a fuck? Is she speaking for anyone else, or is she just some random person talking shit on Twitter?

Read it properly if you're that fascinated by her tweets, she talks about what happened on the train, and how some white bloke called John came and started shouting at the nazi scum, and how much that helped, that he spoke out, that he picked a side.
If you want to carry on calling her a fanatical anti-all-white women person up to you, don't think its worth bothering tbh.

Reactions: CRI

Selective quoting which removes what she says from the context of why and how. Well done. :facepalm:

I suppose selectively quoting this one didn't help you to exaggerate in the way you wanted for example.

No, that is the worst, most repulsive, possible reading of what was written. Just because you insist it is what she (the author) meant it doesn't make it so.
Seriously stop it. She was clear enough for many of us. Argue she could have been more explicit yes, but this is bullshit.
Figured it was a "certain person," and I can confirm unreservedly that s/he is talking absolute bullshit. Jesus, the mental gymnastics required to achieve that conclusion. :facepalm:

Selective quoting which removes what she says from the context of why and how. Well done. :facepalm:

I suppose selectively quoting this one didn't help you to exaggerate in the way you wanted for example.

I did read it, the story is clearly linked to her later denunciations which encompass women in general.

Lovely still photo of same :cool:

1024x1024.jpg
Plot twist!

Back
Top Bottom