Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Test yourself ... Climate Hero Carbon Calculator

First question fail, my flat is the world's smallest studio flat.

Also there's no option for I'm a tight arse who won't put the heat on (we added like 15 to the gas numbers over last 18 months)
Yeah studio flat fail here too. Not sure how gas compares but I did it once with the electric heating option (coz I have a storage heater) and once with the no heating option (coz I've never turned it on in the two or three years I've lived here) and it made fuck all difference

I just left it blank. :)

Apparently my score is 4.5 tons co2 per year despite having a well insulated house, solar panels, biomass heating and recycling everything I can, no car and don't fly anywhere. :facepalm:
3.6 tons co2 if I claim it's a new house. :)

The result is 5.5 tons CO2e.

Really disappointed that they did not ask where I live.
I live in the middle of a forest, but no credit given for me keeping my trees.

"Congratulations Spring-peeper, you have a climate friendly heating source for your home.
Compared to properties that use heating oil or natural gas, you're saving at least 80% in terms of your carbon footprint from heating."

Sad to say, but using wood as a primary heating source really does add to climate change.
Also, they seem to think that not using fossil fuel is a good thing. I use hydro and that also adds to climate change.

It also seemed strange that they did not ask if I was rural.
There is no public transit here, so I lost points on that as well.

I don't think I need to take this test. I don't have any kids, don't eat a lot of animal products and don't have a personal vehicle. I've also never used air travel and I re-use things as often as I can..

I don't think I need to take this test. I don't have any kids, don't eat a lot of animal products and don't have a personal vehicle. I've also never used air travel and I re-use things as often as I can..

I was pleasantly surprised by the result they gave me. And I was interested to see where I could make changes apart from diet. I do eat beef but usually only once or twice a week. And I don't want to give that up..so I wanted to see where else I could make a change.

What surprised me was the rating for natural gas heating was ok.
They go into insulation and solar panels too. And whether one uses public transport or taxis etc.

One of the take aways I got from it was in my case, to not buy any more new clothes. Not that I am buying clothes all the time. I'm not. And the pandemic has put clothes buying on the bottom rung of my ladder of priorities. But I used to like to buy a few bits online or go shopping and if I saw something I liked I might buy it. I might not need it...but I would be tempted to buy stuff.
(Having said that..I will buy new underwear)

But as for the rest.....?
I am going to wear all my stuff to death... literally.

I'm curious as to what's environmentally friendly about replacing a perfectly good car with a newer one. Isn't it Reduce and ReUse first?
And it seems that if I cycle 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, I can reduce my carbon footprint by cycling more often.

I'm curious as to what's environmentally friendly about replacing a perfectly good car with a newer one. Isn't it Reduce and ReUse first?
Modern engines (diesel and petrol) are cleaner and more efficient than older ones. A Euro 3 standard vehicle (prior to 2005) is allowed to emit up to 2.3g/km of CO2 whereas Euro 4 onwards can't emit more than 1.0g/km
The later Euro 5 and 6 standards haven't improved on CO2 which is probably about as good as they can get it now so they've focussed on the other gasses they emit.
This is why diesels have fallen out of favour they only emit about half the CO2 a petrol engine does (so they were seen as good for reducing climate change) but they emit other shit specifically nitrogen oxide which is mildly toxic and can contribute to respiratory problems

Modern engines (diesel and petrol) are cleaner and more efficient than older ones. A Euro 3 standard vehicle (prior to 2005) is allowed to emit up to 2.3g/km of CO2 whereas Euro 4 onwards can't emit more than 1.0g/km
The later Euro 5 and 6 standards haven't improved on CO2 which is probably about as good as they can get it now so they've focussed on the other gasses they emit.
This is why diesels have fallen out of favour they only emit about half the CO2 a petrol engine does (so they were seen as good for reducing climate change) but they emit other shit specifically nitrogen oxide which is mildly toxic and can contribute to respiratory problems
CO2 emissions are 1:1 tied to mileage. (This is why the change in VED was not really a change at all) European emissions standards have nothing to do with it. Your emissions equipment does nothing to reduce CO2.
Newer engines do emit less of all the nasties that affect human health, but that has nothing to do with carbon footprints. In addition, the questions I answered will have told them that I have a Euro5 petrol car and short of moving to electric a new car won't reduce my emissions by much.

Never mind that the resource investment of a brand new car is always questionable vs. an old one in good shape.

Back
Top Bottom