Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Climate Doomsters. Are you one? I am.

there's a lot of things to potentially feel optimistic about in the mid-term, and as a default ive got an optimistic long-view take on historical progress....but the rate of destruction and the catastrophic climate change deadline is way earlier than that. Long view of history blurs out the coming disaster
I guess it depends if you gaf about humans in particular. Nature will survive, the human species will probably go extinct. I know that within that bald statement are millions of individual tragedies, human suffering from wars, migration, famine, fire. But in terms of the geological span of the next mass extinction at the end of the Holocene, the natural world will prevail and thrive again.

I watched that David Attenborough swan song the other night. Bawled my eyes out obviously. Thought his solutions were very good, and incredibly revolutionary.
1. Re distribute global wealth to curb population growth
2. Eat a lot more vegetarian food as the planet cannot support the bulk of carnivores
3. Renewable energy
4. Re wild the planet

Unfortunately I don’t think it will happen as Trumps exist, and in the Hawk-Dove game it’s a winning strategy. I might get rid of my diesel, but in the long term the solution is really not to of had kids then both your responsibility and your gaf are limited.

you don't need to be a climate doomster to see this as bad news The catastrophic thermokarst lake drainage events of 2018 in northwestern Alaska: fast-forward into the future

6 Conclusions
The lake-rich northern Seward and Baldwin peninsulas in northwestern Alaska were affected by unprecedented lake drainage in 2018 which dwarfed previous lake changes in this historically dynamic permafrost landscape. As mean annual air temperatures reached values close to 0 ∘C in combination with exceptional precipitation in recent years, near-surface permafrost is likely already in a phase of degradation and destabilization around the lake margins. These weather conditions matched average model projections for the years 2060 (RCP8.5) to 2100 (RCP4.5), suggesting that on these local to regional scales, our climate forecast capabilities are not sufficient to project the full consequences of warming scenarios. These extreme weather conditions in combination with the rapid availability of excess surface water likely caused the rapid drainage of nearly 200 lakes during or shortly after ice breakup in 2018. The drainage events included some of the largest lakes of the region that have likely persisted for several millennia. Under a rapidly warming and wetting climate in conjunction with ongoing sea ice loss in the Bering Strait, we expect a further intensification of permafrost degradation, a reshaping of the landscape, a transition from continuous to discontinuous permafrost and significant changes in hydrology and ecology. The impact on habitat and landscape characteristics will be drastic in these formerly lake-rich regions. The recent processes observed in northwestern Alaska will potentially be a precedent for lake dynamics of rapidly warming lake-rich permafrost landscapes approaching the MAAT threshold of 0 ∘C.

Back
Top Bottom