Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Tax return blues - would a bit of solidarity help?

in other news: HMRC have been badgering me to file this for months now, so I might just wait till the 31st 9PM as I usually do, or do it tomorrow as I had planned.
Helped a friend with her return in December and I didn't like the new website navigation system, took me forever to work out how to actually find the link to submit the return.

in other news: HMRC have been badgering me to file this for months now, so I might just wait till the 31st 9PM as I usually do, or do it tomorrow as I had planned.
Helped a friend with her return in December and I didn't like the new website navigation system, took me forever to work out how to actually find the link to submit the return.
Uh oh, I don't like the sound of this. I seem to remember it being all quite straight forward last time.

Once you are in, I found the form is pretty much the same as last year, but like wemakeyousoundb , it also took me about 10 minutes to navigate to the actual return on the website after logging in. Very weird.

There was also a process for verifying identification that was new to me. From a list of five options, I opted to supply two figures from my most recent P60 and the date and amount of my last payment to HMRC. (Can't remember what the other possible options were, but those were the most readily accessible for me.)

Once you are in, I found the form is pretty much the same as last year, but like wemakeyousoundb , it also took me about 10 minutes to navigate to the actual return on the website after logging in. Very weird.

There was also a process for verifying identification that was new to me. From a list of five options, I opted to supply two figures from my most recent P60 and the date and amount of my last payment to HMRC. (Can't remember what the other possible options were, but those were the most readily accessible for me.)
this is what I meant, the form in itself is the same, getting to it was the headache.
My friend having the wrong login to start with did not help either.

Arrrrrrhhhhhhhhh. I should have looked at this a lot sooner. There is a massive screw up. I worked for a company that flied me as PAYE even though I was Schedule D and payed without paying the tax. I thought I has sorted this all out with the HMRC .I was on the phone over and over again last year and though I could not 'fix' the problem as such I could submit a couple of official letters of explanation (with legal wording given to me by the HMRC).
Before I have even signed into the actual self assessment I have a page telling me about the PAYE and the amount is now somehow completely different from the one that I had pre prepared another letter to attach to my records (I previously took a screen shot so I know it wasn't me making a crazy mistake).
I now have to go through my records to work out their discrepancy. It could be that they calculated an income based on me being PAYE indefinitely rather than only a couple of months on Schedule D.

They also reckon I owe £6.08 but there is no explanation what for and according to my records I don't and I payed everything up perfectly. There was an oddity last July, but I was on the phone to the HMRC about that back then and their records matched mine exactly and I knew exactly what to pay. So flipping odd. Not something worth hanging on the phone all afternoon about so I just paid that one.

Just need to find out what has changed about the PAYE mess that I thought was all done and dusted and I can START my return. FFS

Soooo.
So far today I have managed to clean the kitchen top to toe (what?), digitise the last of the CDs I own that I am so disinterested in that I have never even listened to them. Researched and bought two pairs of running shoes. . . and made a doctors appointment (not as easy a feat as it first seems after several attempts last year and last week. I've also gotten to the bottom of patient access, and it's many failings.

Just about ready to start my taxes.

So far i've only managed to pin down a discrepancy that a company I worked for neglected to tell me about . . . meaning my invoice (that they apparently signed off on) was wrong. On their records I was paid a hundred and something pounds less in holiday pay (though I am pretty sure they actually paid me the amount on my invoice). . . also it appears they have also adjusted the error tax code that they previously said could not possibly be fixed/adjusted and I had to write an official and legal letter to cover my arse . . . which is now wrong, because several of the details have changed (tax code and the amount) FFS.

This really is annoying as otherwise my taxes simple. . . just had to spend the afternoon figuring out what was wrong. Not sure why I owed the HMRC £6.08p, on my end it all adds up correctly . . . I just paid that one and will worry about it later.

So far i've only managed to pin down a discrepancy that a company I worked for neglected to tell me about . . . meaning my invoice (that they apparently signed off on) was wrong. On their records I was paid a hundred and something pounds less in holiday pay (though I am pretty sure they actually paid me the amount on my invoice). . . also it appears they have also adjusted the error tax code that they previously said could not possibly be fixed/adjusted and I had to write an official and legal letter to cover my arse . . . which is now wrong, because several of the details have changed (tax code and the amount) FFS.

This really is annoying as otherwise my taxes simple. . . just had to spend the afternoon figuring out what was wrong. Not sure why I owed the HMRC £6.08p, on my end it all adds up correctly . . . I just paid that one and will worry about it later.
you can easily make that busking for a few hours, just make sure to enter it in your next tax return...

I know this is going to be a hard one. Part PAYE, part self employed, terrible records because my self employment tailed off during the year and I stopped bothering. Maybe a covid grant too? Do they come up automatically if you had one?

Think I might have to book days off work (not self employed any more)

I know this is going to be a hard one. Part PAYE, part self employed, terrible records because my self employment tailed off during the year and I stopped bothering. Maybe a covid grant too? Do they come up automatically if you had one?

Think I might have to book days off work (not self employed any more)
When a company (twice) screwed up and made me paye it came up in my self assessment.
This year it was automatically listed separately. I think last time (a few years ago) something weird happened and I had the same work listed twice but I didn't somehow play double tax on it. . . . but yeah, it should just all show up and work it'self out naturally if you are self employed and you gave your paye your national insurance number and your UTR

I was always led to believe in tax lectures (many many moons ago) that PAYE ( via your tax code) normally is intended to err on the side of undercharging you slightly. That way if anyone kicks off too much in questioning their PAYE amount, Revenue could make them do a return, and they would then find that they actually owe some more.

However, if you do self assessment, it doesn't matter what you paid in PAYE (except in the timing of when you pay the tax) : The calculation from your tax return is based on the data you enter, and works out the tax you ought to pay/have pad.
It then subtracts the amount you already paid through PAYE (or any other means such as payments on account etc) ) and then charges / refunds the difference.

They calculate your tax code for PAYE based on prior year profiles, so If you have non-vanilla/non-static income such as self employment etc, your PAYE code will never generate tax 100% correctly, as it is based on prior year data: it is the self assessment return that mops up the differences
If you think that your income will change (ie you don't do self employment one year, dividend income changes, you late the amount you pay to Charity etc, you can ask for your PAYE code to be altered.

So I suspect that only impact on Atomic is that they gain a tiny cash flow advantage on not having to pay the £6.08 until now, rather than in a pay packet around a year ago

must shanefully report that I have now completed the task due to covid boredom, took me all of an hour and 40 minutes including checking I had all the receipts for expenses.

Admittedly I am over-organised in everything I do.

Also to note: as I am not on PAYE finding the form was really easy for me unlike when I helped my friend who is.
Now just need to wait 4 days and I can pay the bill.

must shanefully report that I have now completed the task due to covid boredom, took me all of an hour and 40 minutes including checking I had all the receipts for expenses.

Admittedly I am over-organised in everything I do.

Also to note: as I am not on PAYE finding the form was really easy for me unlike when I helped my friend who is.
Now just need to wait 4 days and I can pay the bill.
Why do you need to wait four days?

Why do you need to wait four days?
When you submit your return it takes up to 72 hours for it to get processed and your bill to actually appear in your account, then you can go and amend it and the process starts again.
It's a silly mistake of about £20 but hey, I am a bit obsessive with things like this.

When you submit your return it takes up to 72 hours for it to get processed and your bill to actually appear in your account, then you can go and amend it and the process starts again.
It's a silly mistake of about £20 but hey, I am a bit obsessive with things like this.

In my experience if you want to correct a mistake you don’t have to wait the 72 hours for the erroneous one to the processed, you can do it straight away; it resets the 72 hours til it appears in your account, but that’s not so bad as waiting 2 full cycles.

Oh I see. I've never waited for my bill to appear, I just work out what I owe by subtracting the payments on account. Doi. That sounds a lot better, one less worry. Just pay them what they ask for.

Newbie to all this question - how do I log the following (only relevant for next year):

An organisation I occasionally do work for is paying me a certain rate. Last time I got some supplies that I will be reimbursed for. On the invoice template I have been given, these should be listed under expenses.
But how do I list this then on my income spreadsheet, because I guess these shouldn't be taxable income? Say, I get paid £100 for my work and have bought £10 worth of stuff, when the invoice gets paid, in my bank account it will show as £110. How do I best note this on my spreadsheet to account for the discrepancy of £10?

Newbie to all this question - how do I log the following (only relevant for next year):

An organisation I occasionally do work for is paying me a certain rate. Last time I got some supplies that I will be reimbursed for. On the invoice template I have been given, these should be listed under expenses.
But how do I list this then on my income spreadsheet, because I guess these shouldn't be taxable income? Say, I get paid £100 for my work and have bought £10 worth of stuff, when the invoice gets paid, in my bank account it will show as £110. How do I best note this on my spreadsheet to account for the discrepancy of £10?
I just put the £10 as expenses so it cancels the payment.

In my experience if you want to correct a mistake you don’t have to wait the 72 hours for the erroneous one to the processed, you can do it straight away; it resets the 72 hours til it appears in your account, but that’s not so bad as waiting 2 full cycles.
oh
I'll try this, never made a mistake before so it's new to me.
e2a: just did and yes it works so all done and dusted till next January.

Last edited:
I think I have done mine.
Got £608 extra to pay for my screw up on last years. . . I think £28 of that might be interest.
I'll claw back some of this years quite high payments on account though, because last year I only did three jobs. . . looks like it's going to be far worse this year, so yay for paying less tax. Hooray!

Back
Top Bottom