Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Tax return blues - would a bit of solidarity help?

He’s correct for the 2021/2022 tax year which is the one you’d be filing a return on in the next few days

The covid related free pass on working from home is not in place for 2022/2023 onwards
I think he's only correct if you're an employee. I don't think it applies if you're fully self-employed, on my reading of it.

I think he's only correct if you're an employee. I don't think it applies if you're fully self-employed, on my reading of it.
Agreed, but then you have an easier job in convincing all concerned that the home office is "wholly and exclusively" etc

He’s correct for the 2021/2022 tax year which is the one you’d be filing a return on in the next few day
The covid related free pass on working from home is not in place for 2022/2023 onwards
That was for paye office workers though wasn't it? I think you can only claim the full amount if you work full time and your home became your workplace because of covid.
I recall that I could not claim as a freelance. I did the regular work from hours calculator just for the dates worked.

That was for paye office workers though wasn't it? I think you can only claim the full amount if you work full time and your home became your workplace because of covid.
I recall that I could not claim as a freelance. I did the regular work from hours calculator just for the dates worked.
Plenty of PAYE office workers complete a tax return as discussed upthread

I don’t keep a spreadsheet on board members employment status and can only really be helpful for PAYE questions so I’ll leave the self employed folk to this thread :)

FFS here we are again.

I did some of it last week and had Sunday put aside to complete everything and a then friend decided to end up in A&E needing help. And yesterday I felt sick with some sort of stomach bug. And so here we are on the final day like pretty much every other year only this year I'm a salaried employee with meetings all day and no time...

Well standard uselessness from HMRC 🤣. 55 minutes on hold then hung up on.....17 calls over the last three hours that have been picked up and then hung up.

I only need to ask a simple question...oh well, I'll figure it out! What is it with most companies being incapable of picking the phone up? ' due to unusually high call volume' they have been getting away with it for years now! Grumble grumble 🤣

Meh....98% there. I'll submit it at 11.59.....till then maybe they will continue to harass me by email and text to submit 🤣🥸

Well standard uselessness from HMRC 🤣. 55 minutes on hold then hung up on.....17 calls over the last three hours that have been picked up and then hung up.

I only need to ask a simple question...oh well, I'll figure it out! What is it with most companies being incapable of picking the phone up? ' due to unusually high call volume' they have been getting away with it for years now! Grumble grumble 🤣
I had to write to HMRC to correct something. They refused to allow email/phone. They took 4 months to write back. And only made one out of the two (identical) corrections. And as a result of that have charged me a £100 fine.

Ok, so I did my tax return ridiculously early because I was hoping for a repayment. Repayment was duly calculated and the computer says it was issued on Thursday this week.

Sasaferrato any idea how long it takes for money from HMRC to get to one"s bank account? I've double-checked and the account info was correct, so I don't know if there is a problem to chase or not?

VAT used to take about a week after it was “paid”. Believe this is cause although they’re in faster payments there’s a bunch of checks and cross checks that take $sometime.

Ok, so I did my tax return ridiculously early because I was hoping for a repayment. Repayment was duly calculated and the computer says it was issued on Thursday this week.

Sasaferrato any idea how long it takes for money from HMRC to get to one"s bank account? I've double-checked and the account info was correct, so I don't know if there is a problem to chase or not?
It's usually three working days.

Also check me out doing my tax return stupidly early. No doubt I will forget I have done it already by next Jan.
I am always worried that if I do it early I will leave it until the last minute the next time, therefore leaving a gap of almost two years. . . I might forget how to do it properly and have a double panic attack. Safer to leave it until January.

I am always worried that if I do it early I will leave it until the last minute the next time, therefore leaving a gap of almost two years. . . I might forget how to do it properly and have a double panic attack. Safer to leave it until January.
do it now, but leave it in draft status?.
Set a reminder to re-review in January and to press submit at that time. (unless the draft calculation says you are due a refund, and you want the cashflow benefit)

do it now, but leave it in draft status?.
Set a reminder to re-review in January and to press submit at that time. (unless the draft calculation says you are due a refund, and you want the cashflow benefit)
Humm. That is pretty sensible actually. Bah.

I just went to do my final UK one from abroad, can’t do it on the HMRC site anymore, have to pay for a third party software and I was unsure of which form to fill ou. So, I picked up the dreaded phone to HMRC.. 5 minute wait, super helpful person on phone.. didn’t have to do a return after all.

You did the right thing doing it now.

. . . . and phew.
I have to say that they have always been pretty helpful on the phone.

I think I have a slightly complicated one this time around, there were some crazy tax codes. I wrote myself some notes from where it all occurred, so hopefully past me was worred enough about future me forgetting and has written out a detailed explanation of exactly what I need to do.

I think I have a slightly complicated one this time around, there were some crazy tax codes. I wrote myself some notes from where it all occurred, so hopefully past me was worred enough about future me forgetting and has written out a detailed explanation of exactly what I need to do.

IMG_2442.png

You did the right thing doing it now.

. . . . and phew.
I have to say that they have always been pretty helpful on the phone.

My last 3 years experience with HMRC through closing my company were so hellish I decided to errr on the side of caution. Also was going to be doing my own return for the first time in at least 20 years.. wondered why my old accountant hadn’t been bugging me to do mine this year!

Yeah I’m glad I have accountants still. It turned into a nightmare deactivating and then reactivating VAT a couple years ago. The word “kafkaesque” is thrown around a lot these days but…

oh no it's this again. This is my final tax return as I've been back on full(ish) time PAYE for the last year or so. Also hope that past-me has planned for this in some way - I fear that I have already scuppered my own plans because I did have some money put aside and I think I may have spent it last month, forgetting what it was intended for.

If my sums are right, and I’ve checked them twice Santa style, then I’ve significantly over calculated how much I owed as I went along. Just waiting on the final doc coming back from the accountant before I blow it all on cake and hats.

Back
Top Bottom