Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Tax return blues - would a bit of solidarity help?

I have a client with an unusual benefit/pension from the state. Every fucking year HMRC send her a Tax Calculation (dated before 31st January but always received in February) saying they have changed the entries on her Tax Return when they haven't! And every fucking year she phones me up panicking as this statement seems to say she hasn't paid the right amount of tax when she has!

If any of you get an SA302 Tax Calculation please read it carefully and then look at your online account before panicking. The entry that says what is due by 31st January DOES NOT include any payments you might have made.

End of rant. :oops:

I've nailed it - 2017/18 accounts just gone to the accountants, I've never been this early! :thumbs:
This time last year, I'd already submitted two Tax Returns for clients who needed SA302 equivalents for loans.

This year, there's less pressure but I still need to get at least one out of the way before the end of the month as the client will be due a much-needed refund.

I've now discovered that what I've declared as my savings interest was not quite right by about £20s worth of tax (I panicked and requested a statement from the bank, which now it's turned up is calculated on a slightly different basis from the bits of paper I managed to scrape together at the 11th hour). I thought you were supposed to be able to amend a tax return and the help files agree, but the system won't actually let me in. Should I give up and not bother?
Didn't realise this thread was still going, sorry.

If you filed online around 31-1-18 your itr (tax return) wouldn't have been logged by 2-2-18 so couldn't be amended. After a week it should be fine.

You can call 0300 200 3310 and they will amend it for you if you ask nice.

Don't ever worry about £20. We have buffers. I'm not telling you what they are obviously but it's not £20 :)

I've nailed it - 2017/18 accounts just gone to the accountants, I've never been this early! :thumbs:
Brilliant. Now call 0300 322 7823 and set up a monthly direct debit over the next 8 or 9 months and you won't have a big bill just after xmas next year :)

(I'd suggest putting the money away yourself but apparently very few people in the UK are capable of that.)

Brilliant. Now call 0300 322 7823 and set up a monthly direct debit over the next 8 or 9 months and you won't have a big bill just after xmas next year :)

(I'd suggest putting the money away yourself but apparently very few people in the UK are capable of that.)

It's sitting in various accounts earning 2 - 3%, and it's staying there until the last moment. :thumbs:

Did mine last year. Didn't take long as I hadn't done much freelance work in 17-18. Everything was covered with my PAYE tax so it came back with a bill of £0.

Just logged on to double check I don't have to do anything and apparently I now owe them £7.60 :hmm: :mad:

Did mine last year. Didn't take long as I hadn't done much freelance work in 17-18. Everything was covered with my PAYE tax so it came back with a bill of £0.

Just logged on to double check I don't have to do anything and apparently I now owe them £7.60 :hmm: :mad:
You won't hear about this from the revenue as it's well below the amounts we would pursue. (Unless it's a penalty)

The online systems are stressed this month, more people use them every year. If it's slow at updating try using it after 5.30 pm (when most of the accountants have stopped work for the day).

Remember 0300 200 3600 is the number for anyone having online issues (again...best after 5.30pm).

I've done most of the legwork and paperwork and worked everything out ......I now seem to be rather too relaxed about entering it into the HMRC website...I should be checking with an actual accountant to see if I should be making any more deductions but Its looking like I'll be paying double the tax I paid last year for earning 5k more :eek:

Procrastination jobs running low...send help. Even my sock drawer has been sorted. :D

Was late last year, had to pony up the £100 fine in addition to what I owed.
Going to be well under the threshold this year :( so should only take a few hours :)
Need to remember that there will still be NI contributions, that always gets me :mad:

*looks a bank balance* :facepalm:

Fuck that was painful. Trying to do tax return with paperwork from the year I moved house and job in 3 months flat. Lots of paperwork now sorted so hopefully next year won't be so bad.

Was late last year, had to pony up the £100 fine in addition to what I owed.
Going to be well under the threshold this year :( so should only take a few hours :)
Need to remember that there will still be NI contributions, that always gets me :mad:

*looks a bank balance* :facepalm:
Your class 2 payment is too low to incur any late payment penalties, just interest (3.25% a year I think) from 1st Feb and it's extremely likely that you'd have until the end of March (AT LEAST) before you even had an automated letter so you could pay it off in 3 bits and no-one would notice.

e2a you should not be charged % on C2 but it's moved onto the CESA computer system so fuck knows these days.

I put aside Monday to do my return, but then just hid in bed. Promised I do it Tuesday . . . Can't even remember what happened with that. Wednesday I actually sat down at the computer and turned it on. . . But then started experimenting with some music software and by 5pm the entire room was completely covered in wires and musical equipment. Oh time for dinner.

Today is the day!!

I can hazily recall looking at the paperwork last year and thinking it won't take much effort to complete. Not looked since. So its best left till next week now.

Huh. I finally summoned up the energy to log in, which took hours with tracking down old logins, and 86 factor authentication. So far the actual tax return has been suspiciously easy. The accounting system I set up last year has worked a treat.

Just a couple of trickier bits of info to hunt down. Like employers' pension contributions, they didn't ask that last year, wtf?

Back
Top Bottom