Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Suella Braverman's time is up.

Thing is, that sounds clever but what do you mean by "functionally"?
Braverman is responsible for the fact that thousands of people are tonight being kept in inhumane conditions for illegal lengths of time, because she is ideologically committed to cruelty as a policy choice and as theatre, so she decided to do that, lock them up in there instead of sending them to hotels.
Bravermans personality (her dreams, her stupidity) does matter, it makes things a lot worse. But that's not "functionally" is it.
Braverman is acting outside of current government policy, hence her actions being illegal. Labour criticism of government actions and policy that I've seen recently have all been about policy being poorly or illegally administered, poor value for money, etc etc. The actual policies they don't have much of a problem with.

Braverman is acting outside of current government policy, hence her actions being illegal. Labour criticism of government actions and policy that I've seen recently have all been about policy being poorly or illegally administered, poor value for money, etc etc. The actual policies they don't have much of a problem with.
Indeed.

Yes. And so..it doesnt matter which of them is in charge we shouldn't waste time caring about it cos they're all the same, functionally?

if labour announced a policy of open borders or anything remotely like it they'd have no chance, would they, in this world at this time.

Yes. And so..it doesnt matter which of them is in charge we shouldn't waste time caring about it cos they're all the same, functionally?
Not that we shouldnt waste time caring about it, but be prepared for disappointment if you think Labour will realistically pursue any less harsh a policy in power.

Not that we shouldnt waste time caring about it, but be prepared for dissapointment if you think Labour will realistically pursue any less harsh a policy in power.
I'm prepared. Less crazy less theatrical less Rwanda and Invasion and wave machines would be better than this. Not functionally maybe but day to day for actual people.

Labour are making a virtue of saying they’d do what the Tories want to do but do it competently. I can’t be alone in thinking that’s really not the big plus they think it is.

I want to see the Tories go. But I can’t summon up much enthusiasm for Starmer’s Labour.

Labour are making a virtue of saying they’d do what the Tories want to do but do it competently. I can’t be alone in thinking that’s really not the big plus they think it is.

I want to see the Tories go. But I can’t summon up much enthusiasm for Starmer’s Labour.
I'm not excited about them one bit either. This Home Secretary though, she's the first time i've been frightened by a very stupid person. She knows who her audience is, thats why she did a good long mournful face when saying about how the terrorist is dead.

Labour’s immigration policy has been racist at least since Jack Straw was Home Secretary.
I had a small google today to see if i could find any country at any time on record that did not have a racist immigration policy, and it seemed like a nope. Even in early 1900s america.

I had a google today to see if i could find any country at any time on record that didnt have a racist immigration policy, and it seemed like a nope. Even in early 1900s america.
The UK was actually pretty lax until the above mentioned Act. Temporary laws and registration had to be followed, but even the 1905 Aliens Act was pretty soft and easily evaded.

Russia is pretty lax these days too. For some reason people dont seem keen to move there.

Yep. I suspect thats why she'll be kept in place, as far as possible.
I looked at DM comments earlier, there was an enormous amount of sympathy for the deceased terrorist, "RIP fella" etc.
Those people are their best hope for the next election and thats what she's there for to court them not to actually do anything.

"We want our borders back" was the Brexit creed and to the minds of the rabid and the obsessed, that's simply not happened. So even though they've been responsible for twelve years you can bet the Tories will now push "We're hard-line, Labour are open door."

The UK was actually pretty lax until the above mentioned Act. Temporary laws and registration had to be followed, but even the 1905 Aliens Act was pretty soft and easily evaded.

Russia is pretty lax these days too. For some reason people dont seem keen to move there.
How do you define 'pretty lax'? Maybe we are pretty lax now?
Its always been a political balancing act hasnt it, even when they had to decide what to do with jews in the 30s, better just take the children and make a big fuss about how generous that was.

"I was appalled to find that we spend £150 per person, per night, for current hotel and accomodation cases. In my opinion, £150 means a very nice hotel "

#SuellaSpeaks #SuellaBraveman
They put some asylum seekers in hotels owned by the Britannia chain, aka the worst hotel chain in the country, for the ninth year running.

She is working to protect 'the Law Abiding Patriotic Majority of British people' form these migrants. I don't think she means me . :(
It's like a really crap Farage tribute act, but that's the conservative party since about 2015 isnt it.
When I hear her say 'patriotic' I hear dog whistle for racist.

Yvette Cooper is proper impressive. First thought on seeing a person with an actual brain who has done their homework is what the hell are you doing in that room how come you're not doing something else.
Yes, she was impressive.

The thought crossed my mind that Cooper would have a better chance of leading Labour to victory in the next general election than the charisma-free policy vacuum Starmer.

"We want our borders back" was the Brexit creed and to the minds of the rabid and the obsessed, that's simply not happened. So even though they've been responsible for twelve years you can bet the Tories will now push "We're hard-line, Labour are open door."
Braverman pretty much said words to the effect of that last bit in one of her responses to questions after her statement to the House.

How do you define 'pretty lax'? Maybe we are pretty lax now?
Its always been a political balancing act hasnt it, even when they had to decide what to do with jews in the 30s, better just take the children and make a big fuss about how generous that was.
Pretty lax was being asked if you were a lunatic, or had committed a crime in your native land and had - the important bit - the means to support yourself. I was aimed at poor Jews,not Jews per so (tho the two were clearly intertwined). You were just asked too, didn't really have to prove anything.

We shouldn't be amalgamating asylum and immigration though (going back to the more general discussion around Labour). There'll certainly be nothing more than a gnats fart between Labour & the Tories general immigration plans (unless Braverman gets her way, which would generally go against Sunak & Johnson's previous policies), the Tory asylum laws are so evil and, as someone said above, completely bar legal routes from all but about three countries, that Labour will have to amend them. And just stopping the utterly inhumane treatment of asylum seekers that goes on now would at least be...humane.

Back
Top Bottom