Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Suella Braverman's time is up.

This isn't the most important thing, but its interesting;
The amount of people sleeping on the floor in tents in kent has gone up because of decisions made by this government and not because there are that many more arrivals.

View attachment 349764

I imagine that’s what the government want though. Partly to be seen to be being ‘tough’, but also because the more people see a problem, the more receptive they’ll be to a government that’s saying it will fix the problem.

I imagine that’s what the government want though. Partly to be seen to be being ‘tough’, but also because the more people see a problem, the more receptive they’ll be to a government that’s saying it will fix the problem.
yep. No doubt people like Braverman get a warm feeling every time the 'illegal immigrants' are front page news in the daily mail but there's got to be a tipping point where the story is that they (the gov) are utterly failing to manage the problem that they keep pointing to.

Braverman yesterday saying that the immigration system is broken was an odd moment of truth, but who can they blame for this brokenness they've been in power for what is it 12 years.

They don't mean it's broken in the same sense that perhaps you or I may. They mean it is not anywhere near harsh enough for theirs and their supporters tastes but the constant brick walls that they keep running into are basic human rights laws, H&S legislation and any number of international treaties regarding refugees that the UK is signatory to. Subsequently Braverman has been skating on very thin ice of late in an effort to push the boundaries of what is actually lawful.

some surprising (to me) stats from the government here .
The percentage of people who are granted asylum has gone up a lot recently. Your chances of being grated a right to remain in UK are better now than they have been for a generation.

The Bravermans might be shouting from a podium but the actual decisions are made by civil servants and lawyers and people like that, the government's stated enemies.

Screenshot 2022-11-01 at 09.40.35.png

Last edited:
Yey ! Actual relvent debate about stuff pertinent to what the Home Sec does. Village I was just living in, in a constituency with about as large a tory majority as you could get. Hotel about a mile out of centre....A lot of Afghan familes. So slightly confused by narrative but at some stage they should be given more suitable accommodation.

Over on FB its knives out for leaking which I sort of get. But then think of some Sir Humphrey who has covered up leaks from a HS, a FS, on top of the parties

28 million pounds of profit this year, Clearspring Limited, the private company who the Home Office pays to sort out accommodation including hotels for asylum seekers. Thats their profit, taken home by three people as dividends, so about 9 million each.

Last edited:
28 million pounds of profit this year, Clearspring Limited, the private company who the Home Office pays to sort out accommodation including hotels for asylum seekers. Thats their profit, taken home by them as dividends, not turnover.

It's a licence to print money all round. Actual houses that asylum seekers are housed in (not hotels) are manifestly owned by slum landlords and the standard of repair of some of the houses is barely in compliance with H&S. Landlords are very often reluctant to pay for necessary repairs. All heating and electricity is paid for by the Home Office whilst the tenants get £40.85 p/w subsistence. Meanwhile a popular misconception peddled by the rightwing press amongst others is that they are all freeloaders. In my personal experience pretty much every asylum seeker I have met is desperate to legally work and support themselves and yet they cannot. This is an inconvenient truth in how the asylum system in the UK is actually broken,

Last edited:
I'm guessing that there will come a time when Braverman falls on her sword and says she has become a distraction :hmm:

Meanwhile, she is playing to a certain crowd who think we are being invaded and they will be lapping it up - and then get angry when she departs

I'm guessing that there will come a time when Braverman falls on her sword and says she has become a distraction :hmm:

Meanwhile, she is playing to a certain crowd who think we are being invaded and they will be lapping it up - and then get angry when she departs
You only have to look at the frothing gammons on Twitter to see exactly which gallery she's playing to. It's got quite tedious, wading through the Farage wannabes (not to mention the gammon frog himself), plus all the usual Reform/Brexit/racist party hangers-on, all cheerleading the execrable Home Secretary.

Much as keeping her on will nail the Tory coffin lid ever more firmly down, I'm finding the whole shitshow just unutterably depressing.

yep. No doubt people like Braverman get a warm feeling every time the 'illegal immigrants' are front page news in the daily mail but there's got to be a tipping point where the story is that they (the gov) are utterly failing to manage the problem that they keep pointing to.

Indeed, though I slightly wonder if they could then spring for a whole load of hotel places just before the election, making it look as though they solved the problem. A problem they created, but hey, at least they solved it, so please vote for them.

In case you werent feeling depressed enough here's a survey from yesterday showing that three quarters of conservative voters are (to varying degrees) supportive of the Rwanda plan. Its not just 'frothing gammons'.

survey-result.png

In case you werent feeling depressed enough here's a survey from yesterday showing that three quarters of conservative voters are (to varying degrees) supportive of the Rwanda plan. Its not just 'frothing gammons'.

View attachment 349795
how many of them know the full details?

What refugees? Any war in particular?
I've no idea. But we are taking people from Rwanda and resettling them here. I would assume these are people Rwanda doesn't want to process for some reason. Refugees or economic migrants or whatever.

We don't know what constitutes "a small number". Even if fewer than we send over, it's still more than zero and this is an aspect of the whole plan (along with the full cost which could run to hundreds of millions) that is less clear to people

View attachment 349795

24 + 18 doesn't equal 75. 42% is still a worryingly high figure, though. There's no way to even partly support this plan without genuinely hating asylum seekers and wanting them to die - that it's more than single figures is genuinely depressing.

24 + 18 doesn't equal 75. 42% is still a worryingly high figure, though. There's no way to even partly support this plan without genuinely hating asylum seekers and wanting them to die - that it's more than single figures is genuinely depressing.
look at the columns for 'conservative voters' & 'leave voters' , thats where you get 3/4 in favour and thats who Braverman and co are trying to impress.

tories are a joke and a mess so they wheel out a brown person to blow the immigration whistle again. fucking horrendous.
it will be fucking kemi badenoch next - who sounds like a Scandinavian boogeyman.

tories are a joke and a mess so they wheel out a brown person to blow the immigration whistle again. fucking horrendous.
it will be fucking kemi badenoch next - who sounds like a Scandinavian boogeyman.
There was a famous Norwegian boogeyman Kemi badenach, Oslo champion disco dancer 1977-80 but I think you mean bogeyman as in Fungus the. Ht to DaveCinzano

Last edited:
For some reason I went to Lee Anderson's page. Ostensibly to troll the Terfs and racists.

There is a lot of support, not least of all from transphobe Anderson.

Great video, but having to bear Jonathan Gullis' fucking stupidity for any amount of time hurts me
Gardner's response almost makes it seem like the question was one of those softball ones designed to simply introduce the subject and allow the speaker to make a speech.

But of course it isn't that, the idiot thinks it's a question that she's going to struggle with. And the reason it then turns out to be such a softball is... she's prepared, and knows what she's fucking talking about.

Which I have to imagine all seemed a completely mystery to him.

Back
Top Bottom