Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Sudanese coup d'etat.

Fwiw just seen on a Ghanaian Instagram site a claim that the Sudanese were proposing to allow the Russians to build a naval base on the Red Sea.The argument was that the US and Russia are thus backing opposing factions and stoking the conflict.

Russians - via Wagner - have been backing both sides, to ensure they back the winner.

The US, and wider west - as ever - haven't backed anyone with much enthusiasm, and so all sides have found other patrons, knowing how the US won't stay the course if it gets nasty.

Its akin to the late medieval practice of 'Good Lordship' - the gentry work to a patron: he uses his power to help them with local squabbles in the courts, they turn up on the battlefield. The great magnates stand or fall by the 'Good Lordship' they give to their followers - and the gentry (local warlords) will chop and change patrons if their interests aren't being vigorously upheld by the magnate (US/Russia/China/France etc...

The Paston Letters are an excellent way to understand how the client/patron system works - horses are now Hilux's, bowmen now have AK-47's, but it's the same principles...

More tales of UK incompetence/indifference:

None of that surprises me. But there's one very small point that they don't address. When I lived there I was advised to register at the embassy ASAP so that they had all my details in case something like this happened so that I could be contacted. I was also told registration could take several days.

I don't, in any way whatsoever, condone the behaviour of the embassy or government. That has been, at best, diabolical. But a very small part of me wonders if it might have been better if people had been registered. Of course I'm also assuming the government and embassy had actually been there to help.

None of that surprises me. But there's one very small point that they don't address. When I lived there I was advised to register at the embassy ASAP so that they had all my details in case something like this happened so that I could be contacted. I was also told registration could take several days.

I don't, in any way whatsoever, condone the behaviour of the embassy or government. That has been, at best, diabolical. But a very small part of me wonders if it might have been better if people had been registered. Of course I'm also assuming the government and embassy had actually been there to help.
They don't register citizens in Sudan any more according to the BTL comments

IMG_20230428_112937.jpg

It was on the Beeb news this morning as well but they said up to 24 doctors in this position. I suspect this is more lack of forethought and planning with the odd 'jobsworth' thrown in rather than maliciousness.
Presumably the doc has proof that he is entitled to be in the UK even though he is a not a British citizen. Somewhat disappointed that no-one in charge on the ground didn't just say "Fuck it just stick him in the first spare seat"

Depends on what he showed up with. If he turned up with his Sudanese passport with that magic phrase 'Right To Remain' stamped in it and maybe his NHS id, then it is indeed disappointing that rules or not he wasn't just waved through.
There is a school of thought (many proponents of which can be found here on U75) that would hold to the view that anyone turning up and saying I fear for my life should be allowed on the plane regardless but there is no real-world possibility of that ever happening.

That thing in the independent said that the official line, from number 10 is that there is "an element of discretion" about who might get rescued. That does seems unforgivable, what even does that mean, not sending a clear message out either way will get people killed, risking their lives to get to the airport through a warzone because of course you would.

Ignoring the fact that it's not true - or at the very least ignores the fact that the Sudanese military is not an entirely homogeneous entity - I have a question for both teqniq and Tanya1982 - quite how is getting your diplomatic staff out quickly, without a shot being fired, complete incompetence..?
Well it can't have made it easier to help the 2000 people that had looked to the FCDO for assistance

Well on the plus side one less database to leave behind

Ceasefire extended, due to the benefits of doing so. If the benefits of a ceasefire are so apparent to all concerned that an extension can be agreed and facilitated, the lesson about conflict should be obvious.

Not much ceasefire going on here according to this. The rather bizarre strapline becomes a little more explanatory if you read the article:

Last edited:

The FCO stopped their registration scheme a few years ago...when I moved to Rio they encouraged you to register.

ETA, and in-country emergency phone lines go to a centralised call centre somewhere. Consular services for Brits are not a priority anymore.

The FCO stopped their registration scheme a few years ago...when I moved to Rio they encouraged you to register.

ETA, and in-country emergency phone lines go to a centralised call centre somewhere. Consular services for Brits are not a priority anymore.
The diplomatic service has endured a lot of cuts over many years and these have affected consular services. Easy to do when the image of civil servants claiming perks and expenses in cushy postings is common, as well as the difficulty of justifying the expenditure to UK taxpayers.

My recently departed dad retired 22 years ago (and stopped being a Consul in the early 1980's) so I have little understanding of how UK diplomats have to work now tbh.

Back
Top Bottom