Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Strike!

Did you even read my last post?
Yep, but it also varies from union to union - Unison, at least in HE, are leaving it for local branches to decide what action they're taking, so as someone who's on my local strike committee I'm actually involved in the discussions about when we should be going out. Which makes it a bit annoying not having the relevant info! How's things going RMT-wise, is the main rail mandate still live or are you having to reballot?

Yep, but it also varies from union to union - Unison, at least in HE, are leaving it for local branches to decide what action they're taking, so as someone who's on my local strike committee I'm actually involved in the discussions about when we should be going out. Which makes it a bit annoying not having the relevant info! How's things going RMT-wise, is the main rail mandate still live or are you having to reballot?
All I know is that the RMT are DEFINITELY wanting to be involved in any co-ordinated strikes but they also want to know what the company has to say about the pensions on 31st Jan. That wouldn't stop them announcing a strike for 1st Feb but as I say it's a legal requirement for unions to inform the company of any strikes first so you'll hear about it on the news first. Members grumble about this but it's the law.

Still not clear on whether anyone beyond PCS is striking on the 1st, UCU still don't seem to be clear about exactly what they're doing although tbf I understand it must be difficult for them since they first have to make a decision, and then try to get their gen sec to promise that she won't just go on twitter and say it's a shit decision as soon as they announce it. It seems very unlikely that Unison HE branches will be striking then, it seems that they're more likely to be out the week after instead - hopefully as coordinated action with UCU, but see above.
UCU doing 18 days in Feb and March (dates not yet finalised). No assessment and marking boycott before April

Really annoyed that my teaching union won't be going on strike- yes, I could jump ship, but this union is by far the best in our school.
That's such a tough dilemma; IME usually best to stick with the best/biggest in your workplace...but wtf was NAS up to, not getting the required turnou?

The 18 days will be spread out - probably roughly 3 days a week for 6 weeks.
Not sure if different institutions will be doing different days - I'm going to guess not, but it is just a guess
I mean will everyone be doing the 18 days or will say x department be doing 4 days then y department doing 4 days etc etc.
If not, blimey and solidarity, that's harsh but probably the best way to get a result.

Unworkable is right. With staffing levels as they are nobody is going to fire a teacher or a nurse for anything short of gross misconduct. They're definitely not going to fire half the workforce for striking, because replacing them would be impossible. The tories don't understand that because none of them have ever had real jobs.
Jonathan gullis, unbelievably, was a teacher

UCU doing 18 days in Feb and March (dates not yet finalised). No assessment and marking boycott before April
Yep, as above I was mostly just moaning about the dates not yet finalised bit, which leaves us in the position of having to set our own strike dates to try and coordinate with yours without actually knowing what they are. Seems like there's real pros and cons to running the strike in such a decentralised way (and it's surprising for Unison, normally quite a control-freaky union), on one hand it's great for rank-and-file control and member involvement, we actually had general meetings to vote on setting our strike dates for the first two rounds although timing means we can't do that this time, but on the other for a national dispute it would be nice to have our action a bit more nationally co-ordinated.

Anyway, in other news, anyone know anything about this? Just got it in an email from Strike Map:
DKsagamhESrS0xIFyUcrhhohVTSXpnX4_JH4HHmJqCfLaRut7Hjrl-zAvG9ZSousWscjbk-HGTsB2B3UoZuplL1eTX9OQ2RWiQrsuJxtMxNEr2rnhAC-AS3rhbsV4sXWa_KqJjd1jeo-trOTFiRLWXA6yQ=s0-d-e1-ft

Love a bit of graphic design detectivism :D

Who else is using proton email? That's probably the best lead. Proton is the one privacy conscious people use

Yeah that’s their font. And they’re good on childcare stuff. But not normally shy about plastering their logo onto stuff. Hmm.
Oh, I'd been thinking "don't reckon it can be Plan C cos the graphic design isn't nice enough". But it could well be that their graphic designer has left, or is on holiday, or maybe just that I'm out of touch and that ugly shade of orange is what's considered cool now. As to whether they'd set up fronts, I reckon it's not unknown, from what I can remember I think Women's Strike, Feminist Anti-Fascist Assembly and some branches of Acorn were all campaigns Plan C comrades played a leading role in initiating.

Reactions: LDC
To be fair it looks like it's fucking Calibri innit. Could be anyone. and it's centrally aligned, what self respecting graphic designer would do that?!?!?

Oh, I'd been thinking "don't reckon it can be Plan C cos the graphic design isn't nice enough". But it could well be that their graphic designer has left, or is on holiday, or maybe just that I'm out of touch and that ugly shade of orange is what's considered cool now. As to whether they'd set up fronts, I reckon it's not unknown, from what I can remember I think Women's Strike, Feminist Anti-Fascist Assembly and some branches of Acorn were all campaigns Plan C comrades played a leading role in initiating.
I think they’re organised along the lines of people involved in other stuff meeting to collaborate. But obviously they do things as Plan C also. That font made me think of them and Bethnal Green but it is lacking white and pink. :D

Angry Workers' article on the NHS strike so far

Lol, he's got me on ignore! :thumbs:

Back
Top Bottom