Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Strike!

I really hope it’s a No then because I definitely do not support a 72 hour strike with no emergency care and I’d be worried for my patients. I can’t tell you the specifics of my ward but two Consultants are just not going to be able to provide 72 hours of continuous medical care to 22 unwell children.

I must get in touch with the BMA I can’t believe this is the plan it just doesn’t make sense. I’m not really engaged with union stuff because I find it all so hopeless.

Yup, 72 hours all out. In ED the plan is no junior doctors at all, cover will be by consultants. And I think the ballot will be won, every single doctor I know is voting yes, and they'll all said everyone they know is voting yes as well Edie.

UCU out on 1st Feb.
Repeating myself a bit, but it still really winds me up that there wasn't more effort to keep Unison informed about what they were planning - as LC says, it's the Unison HE conference the day after, so it might well be that we couldn't be out on the 1st anyway, but from where I am it looks like there wasn't even a real attempt made to get anything coordinated.
What do you do if you vote no but your union votes to strike? Do you offer to help cover minimum safe staffing, or stay at home but not go to the picket?

It’s not like I disagree with pay restoration, I just think nurses and HCPs deserve a pay rise more, and that frankly it isn’t safe. I know other medics will tell you it’s safe but it’s my personal view in my neck of the woods that it is not.
Yeah, in those circumstances staying at home but not picketing seems like a reasonable solution. Not wanting to pile on or anything, and I'm not in a position to judge on the safety side, but just on the bit about nurses and HCPs deserving a pay rise more - I don't think that's a reason not to strike, it's not like there's a single pot of money that'll be used to pay either nurses or doctors but not both. I reckon that the BMA getting a strike mandate will increase the chances of nurses and HCPs getting a decent increase.

I really hope it’s a No then because I definitely do not support a 72 hour strike with no emergency care and I’d be worried for my patients. I can’t tell you the specifics of my ward but two Consultants are just not going to be able to provide 72 hours of continuous medical care to 22 unwell children.

I must get in touch with the BMA I can’t believe this is the plan it just doesn’t make sense. I’m not really engaged with union stuff because I find it all so hopeless.
That's not your responsibility - it is the responsibility of the bosses.
They have chosen to attack workers, to constantly chip away at working conditions, to reduce care for people, to make a worse health (education/transport) service, to take more money for themselves.

We are fighting for a better health service, a better education service, a better transport service. For better conditions for every UK worker, indeed for every worker in the world. It might sound idealistic but that really is what workers action is about

Nobody, but nobody - especially those working in the NHS - takes the decision to strike lightly. But this country is at a tipping point now. The ordinary working person can barely afford to live decently anymore, either for themselves or their families. It's even approaching the point of no return for some. So what else are they supposed to do? Lie down and accept it? Accept that's just the way it's going to be? No. People are sick of it now. They've just about had enough. For me, they are absolutely within their rights to withdraw their labour as they see fit, in order to improve their working conditions, their pay and - in the case of the NHS - an improvement of the organization itself for the betterment of the staff and the patients. And, of course, the outcome to all these strikes that are occuring will involves compromise, negotiation and good will on all sides. That's obvious. But let's be clear about one thing: their battle is our battle. And I know whose side I am on, and will always be on.

Yeah, in those circumstances staying at home but not picketing seems like a reasonable solution. Not wanting to pile on or anything, and I'm not in a position to judge on the safety side, but just on the bit about nurses and HCPs deserving a pay rise more - I don't think that's a reason not to strike, it's not like there's a single pot of money that'll be used to pay either nurses or doctors but not both. I reckon that the BMA getting a strike mandate will increase the chances of nurses and HCPs getting a decent increase.

Attending the picket or not is a bit neither here nor there imo, fair enough to have a day off at home really. The important thing is not to work when there's a strike. Same when people talk about 'crossing the picket line' - you're crossing it if you work on a strike day, it doesn't require you to actually physically walk past a picket yourself to be a scab.

So there's two options on a strike day: 1) work and be a scab, or 2) not work and not be a scab. Attending the picket line if you stay out on strike is another different choice.

Last edited:
That was a rather odd article it started off as a diatribe against the strikes, metamorphosed into a rant against left and centre-left political positions generally, changed again into a demand for tax cuts in the budget before settling on outrage over the possibility of an implied suggestion that people should be barred from bringing chocolate buns into the office. Got to admit that the first three left me cold but 100% behind them on the last point.

You will take my doughnuts from my cold dead hands!!!

That was a rather odd article it started off as a diatribe against the strikes, metamorphosed into a rant against left and centre-left political positions generally, changed again into a demand for tax cuts in the budget before settling on outrage over the possibility of an implied suggestion that people should be barred from bringing chocolate buns into the office. Got to admit that the first three left me cold but 100% behind them on the last point.

Did they manage to squeeze in a dig at megan markle anywhere? :hmm:

Cutting taxes worked so well for truss didn't it! :D

Re: the health worker/NHS strikes.

Pay is tied to banding across the whole NHS, which is tied to role/profession. So if the nurses win, and they're Band 5 usually, or paramedics win who are Band 6 generally, how does that impact other roles in those bandings? And as it's connected to all the other Bands would any pay rise have to be across the whole Agenda for Change banding system, even among those that haven't been on strike?

Anyone know?

Last edited:

Pay is tied to banding across the whole NHS, which is tied to role/profession. So if the nurses win, and they're Band 5 usually, or paramedics win who are Band 6 generally, how does that impact other roles in those bandings? And as it's connected to all the other Bands would any pay rise have to be across the whole Agenda for Change banding system, even among those that haven't been on strike?

Anyone know?
Don't know about the first bit, but for the second, anywhere there's collective bargaining, any pay increase applies to everyone covered, whether they've been on strike or not, whatever union they're in (or if they're not in a union).

Reactions: LDC
Don't know about the first bit, but for the second, anywhere there's collective bargaining, any pay increase applies to everyone covered, whether they've been on strike or not, whatever union they're in (or if they're not in a union).

For sure, but across all bands and job roles then? So for example porters and domestics on another band entirely? Basically the whole AfC banding is single thing, so to increase wages in one band impacts all the other bands, so would the pay increase have to be across the whole NHS AfC staffing?

For sure, but across all bands and job roles then? So for example porters and domestics on another band entirely? Basically the whole AfC banding is single thing, so to increase wages in one band impacts all the other bands, so would the pay increase have to be across the whole NHS AfC staffing?

Quite a few recent public sector pay awards have only increased certain (typically lower) bands, or applied a fixed amount across all pay bands which might mean you get between 1 and 10% increase depending on how much you earn

Last edited:

Anyone know?
i don’t know anything about the NHS banding system so might be talking out of my arse . However if it was the case that a pay increase for a particular group of workers within a band meant that all workers within that band got a pay increase then surely the trade unions would just pull out one group indefinitely or focus on the best organised section to gain a pay rise for all in that band ?

i don’t know anything about the NHS banding system so might be talking out of my arse . However if it was the case that a pay increase for a particular group of workers within a band meant that all workers within that band got a pay increase then surely the trade unions would just pull out one group indefinitely or focus on the best organised section to gain a pay rise for all in that band ?
Potentially the “group” of workers within the band would be spun off to a new band eg Band 4A or maybe there might be an agreement where some band 4 members can progress above the bar to the lower points of band 5 (for example) after attaining whatever level of experience or qualification.

Obviously it makes everything more complicated but these arrangements are found in other parts of the public sector but no idea if this is possible within the NHS or agenda for change. My gut feeling is that they’re used for far smaller and more local employer groups than the NHS would have.

No idea, but nurses, while generally Band 5, can also be a higher band in some roles. And both can be members of the RCN. And also in the same band as non-RCN members doing entirely different roles and jobs. So you cannot split nurses pay on band 5 from an ODP on band 5 as well for example. Or RCN members who are not nurses and on a lower band. The whole point of the AfC banding was to standardise wages across the different bits of the NHS.

I expect the pay rise will have to be across the whole banding system now; especially as different roles, unions and bands are now striking.

The whole point of the AfC banding was to standardise wages across the different bits of the NHS.

Yeah that’s what I remember AfC being - a simplification - but I only ever dealt with NHS tupes and they were mainly previous terms & conditions I think (Whitley council?)

Quite a few recent public sector pay awards have only increased certain (typically lower) bands, or applied a fixed amount across all pay bands which might mean you get between 1 and 10% increase depending on how much you earn
Yeah, the most recent local government award, which includes me, gave a flat increase across all grades, rather than a percentage.

There are also different agreements within local government such that, for instance, workers in building trades have a different pay scale to gardeners and waste operatives, and can potentially be given a different pay award.

Posted on the construction thread but suppose it might as well go here as well, little video about a sacked trade unionist reinstated after rank and file pressure in Glasgow:

Also, sounds like Feb 6th will be pretty big, if not as big as the 1st?

Mrs Q is currently deciding whether to scab, picket in solidarity or go shopping. Her school is mostly NEU who are striking on the 1 Feb but she is NASUWT along with a few others. The headmaster is currently deciding on whether to shut the school or not.
She voted for a strike but apparently NASUWT didn't get a big enough turnout.

Back
Top Bottom