Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Strike!

Jonathan gullis, unbelievably, was a teacher
From Wiki:
Gullis worked in schools from 2012 to 2019, comparing his teaching experiences to boxing.[5] These included Blackfen School for Girls (2012–2015), Ashlawn School (2015–2016), Greenwood Academy (2016–2018), and Fairfax Academy (2018–2019).[5] Gullis described his classroom personality as "a mixture of Boris Johnson and Jacob Rees-Mogg", and said that he "liked to play the character of an English gent".[5] Gullis says that he was "nicknamed Grumpy Gullis – because I never smiled".[5] Upon being elected to Parliament Gullis left work at Fairfax School, and he described the pupils he was responsible for as head of year as "probably happy to see me go".[5]
Reading between the lines, I'd say he was probably a pretty poor teacher, and he probably knew it. He's another "politics" graduate, too, and I note that they're quite circumspect about what he taught. Not to mention "worked in schools", rather than "was a teacher". Also telling that two of those schools were academies.

Sounds to me like he's a bit of a dilettante.

From Wiki:

Reading between the lines, I'd say he was probably a pretty poor teacher, and he probably knew it. He's another "politics" graduate, too, and I note that they're quite circumspect about what he taught. Not to mention "worked in schools", rather than "was a teacher". Also telling that two of those schools were academies.

Sounds to me like he's a bit of a dilettante.
We probably ought vote him out then

NEU strikes have been announced. Pity the support staff ballot narrowly failed to beat the ballot threshold. Hopefully there will be a re-ballot:

NEU teaching union announces seven days of strikes in February and March, with England and Wales both affected​

The National Education Union says it will be organising strikes on seven days in February and March. It says:

The union is declaring seven days of strike action in February and March, though any individual school will only be affected by four of them. The first will be on will be on Wednesday 1 February, affecting 23,400 schools in England and Wales.
Teacher members in sixth form colleges in England, who have already been balloted and taken strike action in recent months, will also take action on these days in a separate but linked dispute with the secretary of state …
This means that the following constituencies of NEU membership are able to take strike action in pursuance of a fully-funded, above inflation pay rise: teachers in England state-funded schools; teachers in Wales state-funded schools; support staff in Wales state-funded schools; and teachers in sixth form colleges in England.
The full list of projected strike days are as follows:
Wednesday 1 February 2023: all eligible members in England and Wales.
Tuesday 14 February 2023: all eligible members in Wales.
Tuesday 28 February 2023: all eligible members in the following English regions: Northern, North West, Yorkshire & The Humber.
Wednesday 1 March 2023: all eligible members in the following English regions: East Midlands, West Midlands, Eastern.
Thursday 2 March 2023: all eligible members in the following English regions: London, South East, South West.
Wednesday 15 March 2023: all eligible members in England and Wales.
Thursday 16 March 2023: all eligible members in England and Wales.

Well my union (NEU) has voted to strike but the other teaching union, which most staff at my school are in, hasn't had enough turnout so can't strike. Which is really shit. It'll mean a lot of schools staying open with skeleton staff on strike days.

Well my union (NEU) has voted to strike but the other teaching union, which most staff at my school are in, hasn't had enough turnout so can't strike. Which is really shit. It'll mean a lot of schools staying open with skeleton staff on strike days.

Agreed. Are they going to re ballot the support staff?

What do you do if you vote no but your union votes to strike? Do you offer to help cover minimum safe staffing, or stay at home but not go to the picket?

It’s not like I disagree with pay restoration, I just think nurses and HCPs deserve a pay rise more, and that frankly it isn’t safe. I know other medics will tell you it’s safe but it’s my personal view in my neck of the woods that it is not.

What do you do if you vote no but your union votes to strike? Do you offer to help cover minimum safe staffing, or stay at home but not go to the picket?

It’s not like I disagree with pay restoration, I just think nurses and HCPs deserve a pay rise more, and that frankly it isn’t safe. I know other medics will tell you it’s safe but it’s my personal view in my neck of the woods that it is not.
You generally support the strike mandate and don't cross picket lines.

You accept the democratic vote and strike (unless you are exempted by the union). Not to do so would be to scab.

I really hope it’s a No then because I definitely do not support a 72 hour strike with no emergency care and I’d be worried for my patients. I can’t tell you the specifics of my ward but two Consultants are just not going to be able to provide 72 hours of continuous medical care to 22 unwell children.

I must get in touch with the BMA I can’t believe this is the plan it just doesn’t make sense. I’m not really engaged with union stuff because I find it all so hopeless.

A key French union hinting at targeted power-outages aimed at politicians who support the reform - though it doesn't say how closely targetted ...

Big day of action Thursday.

Back
Top Bottom