Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Strike!

Sadly not striking, my union accepted a crap local authority pay offer which idiots readily accepted because it was a nice little back dated cash sum in their pockets.
Little di they realise that the pay rise was well below the rate of inflation.
Solidarity with all those striking and may many more join in.

Sadly not striking, my union accepted a crap local authority pay offer which idiots readily accepted because it was a nice little back dated cash sum in their pockets.
Little di they realise that the pay rise was well below the rate of inflation.
Solidarity with all those striking and may many more join in.
We were reballoted recently but didn't meet the threshold. Being preballoted now, a survey to gauge opinion - I'm up for it as it'll cost me more in future if we don't strike now

Mrs K has opened school because she wants to feed a number of vunerable kids who, if she didn't would a) go hungry, and b) would be sat listening to DV and addiction. Only named vunerable kids are in (15 out of 300+), TA's are in doing prep and looking after those who are in, 75% of teachers on strike, others in doing prep.

#2 is off, her high school is closed with only 6th formers in, though whether any turn up..

#3's primary school is completely open. She was not happy this morning.

I'm at home with #2 - well, ok, walking the dog...

IMG_20230201_085201179_HDR.jpg

Even sent an email to #2's head of year that she'll not be doing any of the work set for today, or any time online stuff they might set.

The government won't fall prior to their preferred election date if people carry on striking a couple days a month. Continuous indefinite strikes would be a different matter.

I disagree. COVID has taught us that sitting at home of a week with our kids is entirely possible - the real disruption of strike action is the on/off/on/off nature of it.

Continuous indefinite strikes would be a different matter.
Feels like that would still require a serious change in both attitude from and support for members.

Obviously don't know what it's like across the unions/nations, but honestly don't know how many members have that kind of fight in them at present. Observing trade union tradition/principles, particularly the more hardline ones, is still lower on the priority list for many folk, I think.

Decent turnout for the rally in Exeter. Mainly teachers but a fair contingent from PCS and ASLEF.

EDIT: The after-march indoor event filled its 500 venue capacity so there was an overspill gathering outside as well. Good numbers for a relatively small city.

20230201_103119.jpg

Last edited:
The government won't fall prior to their preferred election date if people carry on striking a couple days a month. Continuous indefinite strikes would be a different matter.

One day strikes won't get it done for sure. But we also need the strikes to spread outside of the public sector and into parts of the economy where profit and the flow of goods and capital are disrupted.

I disagree. COVID has taught us that sitting at home of a week with our kids is entirely possible - the real disruption of strike action is the on/off/on/off nature of it.

Not really, for example nurse strikes are covered by e.g. consultants caring for patients that would normally get a nurse, that may sustainable for the odd day but certainly not longer term.

Not really, for example nurse strikes are covered by e.g. consultants caring for patients that would normally get a nurse, that may sustainable for the odd day but certainly not longer term.

Horses for courses?

If schools close for a week I simply book a week's leave and we go on holiday, or have a staycation - it's easy to manage, I can plan for it.

If nurses go on strike for week and the NHS grounds to a halt with the dying left in car parks (would we notice the difference etc..), we simply stop doing anything.

I teachers going on strike in a 5 day block isn't the problem that 5 individual random strike days is, while the opposite is true for NHS workers.

If schools close for a week I simply book a week's leave and we go on holiday, or have a staycation - it's easy to manage, I can plan for it.
Most people couldn't do that. A weeks holiday just to cover a strike? I like my holidays as holidays.

Reactions: Sue
My internet was off all morning so maybe it was on strik in solidarity. Mrs Q isn't on strike since she is NASUWT that didn't make the threshold. About a quarter to a third of the teachers at her school are in NASUWT rather than NEU but the headmaster clearly decided not to bother and just shut the school for the day except for the canteen staff who came in to feed those kids entitled to a free lunch (which for a sought after school in a nice middle class area is not many).
Mrs Q is treating the day as an extra paid day off and since Grandson 1's primary has also shut for the day. She has picked up Eldest and the boys and gone to the park for some quality Grandma time leaving both SiL and myself to work in peace or rather just stare blankly at the screen in my case.

My internet was off all morning so maybe it was on strik in solidarity. Mrs Q isn't on strike since she is NASUWT that didn't make the threshold. About a quarter to a third of the teachers at her school are in NASUWT rather than NEU but the headmaster clearly decided not to bother and just shut the school for the day except for the canteen staff who came in to feed those kids entitled to a free lunch (which for a sought after school in a nice middle class area is not many).
Mrs Q is treating the day as an extra paid day off and since Grandson 1's primary has also shut for the day. She has picked up Eldest and the boys and gone to the park for some quality Grandma time leaving both SiL and myself to work in peace or rather just stare blankly at the screen in my case.

It's not too late for them to join the NEU

Mrs Q reckons that NASUWT is a far better union
It's also a minority union in the school by the sound of it . Surely better to have workers in a union that have the capacity to shut the school or workplace than to rely on the headteacher? A friend of mine in the UK has moved to NEU from NASUWT and sent me a link to a discussion on Mumsnet of all places Changing Union to strike - Mumsnet

Back
Top Bottom