Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Strike!

"Anti-strike legislation is expected to be brought forward later this week, as Rishi Sunak’s government scrambles to get a grip of the ongoing industrial disputes.

The prime minister will announce legislation to enforce “minimum service levels” in six sectors, including the health service, rail, education, fire and border security. Ministers are also understood to be considering introducing laws allowing bosses to sue unions and sack employees if the minimum levels are not met.

Union members who are told to work under the minimum service requirement but refuse to do so could lose their jobs, as first reported by the Times. There are also likely to be tougher thresholds introduced for industrial action to take place."

"Anti-strike legislation is expected to be brought forward later this week, as Rishi Sunak’s government scrambles to get a grip of the ongoing industrial disputes.

The prime minister will announce legislation to enforce “minimum service levels” in six sectors, including the health service, rail, education, fire and border security. Ministers are also understood to be considering introducing laws allowing bosses to sue unions and sack employees if the minimum levels are not met.

Union members who are told to work under the minimum service requirement but refuse to do so could lose their jobs, as first reported by the Times. There are also likely to be tougher thresholds introduced for industrial action to take place."

Make no mistake, this is nothing more than a pernicious, repressive assault on an individual's absolute right to strike and withdraw their labour if they feel that their cause is just and right. Of course, it's wholly wrong and absolutely immoral - and probably unworkable too. Malevolent legislation designed solely to criminalize and victimize the ordinary working person. And just another example of how dirty and low this government will stoop.

This wrestler has a message for sunak (apparently he also once led the crowd in a chant of 'fuck the Tories! '

Zack Sabre Jnr :thumbs: This is some of his merch, a quote from one of his most famous promos :D

bsi_sabre07.jpg

<edit: here we go>

Last edited:
Interesting that Royal Mail has been left out of the essential services list. Is this a precursor for attacking the universal service obligation?

Cheers - Louis Mac Neice

p.s. I would have like to have seen Evri deliver and return all those covid test kits!

Make no mistake, this is nothing more than a pernicious, repressive assault on an individual's absolute right to strike and withdraw their labour if they feel that their cause is just and right. Of course, it's wholly wrong and absolutely immoral - and probably unworkable too. Malevolent legislation designed solely to criminalize and victimize the ordinary working person. And just another example of how dirty and low this government will stoop.

It does make me laugh though, at the blatant hypocrisy of it. Here are bellend ministers going on and on about outdated ways of working, "Spanish practices" and all that crap when their inspiration for all this is the Police Act of 1919.

It does make me laugh though, at the blatant hypocrisy of it. Here are bellend ministers going on and on about outdated ways of working, "Spanish practices" and all that crap when their inspiration for all this is the Police Act of 1919.
Even more ironic when you think of the practices of both houses of Parliament; outdated and not fit for purpose doesn't come close.

Cheers - Louis MacNeice

Unworkable is right. With staffing levels as they are nobody is going to fire a teacher or a nurse for anything short of gross misconduct. They're definitely not going to fire half the workforce for striking, because replacing them would be impossible. The tories don't understand that because none of them have ever had real jobs.

Apparently the one off payment was linked to 'productivity increases' which didn't go down well.

This from Onay Kasab of Unite, my emphasis:
Unfortunately, the government have missed yet another opportunity to put this right. We came here in good faith. What they want to talk about is productivity.

Our members are working 18-hour shifts. How you become more productive with that I do not know.

Today, unfortunately, despite us showing up in good faith, the government have missed yet another opportunity to put this right and what will happen is that a strike action taking place by Unite members, our ambulance workers … [will be taking place on 23 January].

TBF the current shower probably have a great deal of difficulty grasping that negotiations are kind of a two way thing

Goverment and unions clear today wasn't an official negotiation, but a chance for the government to make their position 'clear' or something.

Sounds like they did tbf...

I've just left GMB and joined the RCN.
I was very disappointed at the lack of presence of the GMB at the last nurses strike. I wrote to them saying this and that I felt my needs as a senior Health Care Assistant would be better me by the RCN at this time.
They did reply and argue my point, however afaic the RCN have stepped up brilliantly and I want to support them.

So now to get clarity regarding proposed strikes later this month.

So my trust is not included in the hospital trusts striking in the South West on 18th and 19th of Jan.

I've looked at the RCN website in order to try to understand why only some trusts are striking rather then all of them? If anyone knows the answer please enlighten me.
Cheers x

So my trust is not included in the hospital trusts striking in the South West on 18th and 19th of Jan.

I've looked at the RCN website in order to try to understand why only some trusts are striking rather then all of them? If anyone knows the answer please enlighten me.
Cheers x
I don't know about the specifics of this dispute, but it might be because of the way the votes have been counted, where in some trusts a majority have voted to strike, but in others they haven't.

Cheers x
Is it because each trust is 'technically' a separate employer rather than just you all working for the NHS? (even if you do in reality)

I was going to say that it's a bit annoying how, even where they have mandates, Unite won't be striking alongside Unison and GMB in the ambulance service tomorrow, but then I saw something far more annoying, which is that the national Unison website seems to be running a story aiming to stop people from turning up to show support for their pickets:
But before getting into how you can show your support, it’s important to note that there are strict legal provisions and a statutory code of practice around who can picket and how pickets are run.

It’s important to make sure legal requirements and patient safety are maintained, and UNISON regional offices will be working with striking branches to manage invitations and arrangements for visitors to their pickets.

So please don’t go to picket lines unless invited by striking branches.
Meanwhile the regional social media pages seem to be promoting and encouraging people to visit picket lines as usual:

So fuck knows what's going on there.

kalidarkone I think it was a 'strategic' decision by the RCN to split the Trusts that got mandates into two groups and one group strike in December and then one in January. I'm a bit mystified why they did this tbh, but anyway, that's why your Trust (and mine) was on strike December but isn't now.

Last edited:
kalidarkone I think it was a 'strategic' decision by the RCN to split the Trusts that got mandates into two groups and one group strike in December and then one in January. I'm a bit mystified why they did this tbh, but anyway, that why your Trust (and mine) was on strike December but isn't now.
I just had a chat with my manager and apparently it was in order to disperse the disruption...

Got this
C9420551-6DD0-408D-88A1-025F4B7825E7.jpeg
About this
B356F280-80C4-4942-BDE2-133C0998357B.jpegA839DA07-BB2F-43C2-A8AF-D42255CB4029.jpeg

Still don’t know what to vote. This is like Brexit all over again 😩

PS they’re not fuckin shy about telling you which way to vote eh :D Whatever happened to impartiality?!

Back
Top Bottom