Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Strike!

I have no idea and I can't say that I care.
Really?

Why care enough about one irrelevant fragment of the communist left to repost its thoughts on US rail strikes while dismissing out of hand those of another, albeit slightly larger fragment of that same communist left?

Given that it's hard to get a theoretical fag paper between the two - not withstanding their mutual loathing - surely the working class needs the insight provided by both cutting edge revolutionary internationalist?

Cheers - Louis MacNeice

Last edited:
Really?

Why care enough about one irrelevant fragment of the communist left to repost its thoughts on US rail strikes while dismissing out of hand those of another, albeit slightly larger fragment of that same communist left?

Given that it's hard to get a theoretical fag paper between the two - not withstanding their mutual loathing - surely the working class needs the insight provided by both cutting edge revolutionary internationalist?

Cheers - Louis MacNeice
If you care about what the ICC have to say then post a link of theirs or something, personally I don't and I'm not going to share their stuff and thats my choice.

Visited probably/hopefully my last picket line of the year this morning, people had been wondering whether all the media stuff about greedy posties holding Christmas hostage would translate into more actual hostility from the public but couldn't see any signs of it today - obviously the number of cars going past in general was very much reduced, but got beeps from a good proportion of those, one person actually slowed down to say something and I think people kind of braced for abuse but it was just a "thank you for all that you do". Oh, there was one "oy, where's my parcel?" but that felt like more of a friendly, affectionate piss-taking heckle than an actually angry one.

Looks like a proper impressive turnout at the Arrow XL picket in Wigan this morning, considering it's a horrible December morning:
My friend's speaking in that video. He used to joke that he could never get a strike and then last year he had Chep and now Arrow. More than enough cold mornings on picket lines by now!

Unite supports its strikers well on the whole

Given the amount of strikes going on and pissed off workers in so many sectors, why do you think the idea of a general strike hasn't been discussed at a high level in the trade union movement (unless it has and I've missed it)? Are union bosses ultimately just happy with getting a few more crumbs from the table and have no desire to change the overall system radically?

Given the amount of strikes going on and pissed off workers in so many sectors, why do you think the idea of a general strike hasn't been discussed at a high level in the trade union movement (unless it has and I've missed it)? Are union bosses ultimately just happy with getting a few more crumbs from the table and have no desire to change the overall system radically?
From earlier in the thread:

I'm hearing that the TUC is looking at having a coordinated day of action across all unions with mandates - so, the closest thing legally possible to a general strike - around the end of January or very start of Feb, anyone else hearing anything about this?
This is roughly what I heard a few weeks back when PCS (mostly) won its ballots. Gives enough time for a couple of reballots and people being too skint to do a one layer before Christmas.

I think uk trade union laws don't make that easy.

Reactions: LDC
Though the article is currently 'free to read' on The Times website I archived it because it probably won't always be and because well, Murdoch:

Rishi Sunak’s strike law to let bosses sack workers and sue unions
Got to say it shows that the tories have no notion of what work is. Some employers may sack strikers most won’t. The work workers do is pretty skilled from the cleaner to the nurse to the lecturer. None can be replaced easily, as training and knowledge take time to build and to just do away with that will hamper the bosses in the long run.

The bankruptcy of ideas in the Tory party is astounding. Which seems to be mirrored by the lack of ideas in the TUC. Appealing to HR legislation fuck sake, the cracker has more guile.

Back
Top Bottom