Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Strike!

I haven't seen anyone say that, it's always been the plan that they respond to Category 1 calls.

I think some Trusts have also come to an agreement with the unions that ambulance crews will respond to some incidents that lie within the Category 2 bracket , depending on the circumstances and severity of the ailment. In this scenario, the 999 call will be taken by clinicians, and they will judge the right response to that patient's condition and, if necessary, request an ambulance to go out.

Reactions: LDC
No, it's a vague recommendation not a rule or law iirc. And you can't be on the grounds anyway, you have to be outside them, so they're usually on the pavement just outside.
It used to be, but it is now statute. But they can't enforce it so 🤷‍♂️

There's rules about how many people can picket on hospital grounds. Think the limit is six.
That's why we do it outside the gates! But the location I'm referencing was so middle of nowhere, no footfall going past etc...
AFAIK you know you can strike if there's a mandate in your Trust for any union, even if you're not a member of that union. I'm not RCN but I was striking yesterday.

And employers aren't allowed to get you to reveal your union membership status either...
Yes same for me.

Anyone seen anything more recent about these proposed laws to ban workers in the NHS striking the Tories have gone on about?

A purchasing power parity index is often useful to cut through the guff...

They've managed to choose one of the most inflation-resistant items possible for that comparison as well.
There's rules about how many people can picket on hospital grounds. Think the limit is six.
As mentioned above, there's two different things going on here - picketing on any employer's property is usually banned so you have to stand outside, and there is the six-person limit which may now be legally enforceable but you can get around it. In my branch, policy is that you have six Official Pickets, identifiable by armbands, hi-viz or signs saying "Official Picket", and then if there happens to be another six, ten, twenty or hundred people standing near the pickets holding union flags or whatever, then they're just members of the public showing their support and solidarity for the picketers.
AFAIK you know you can strike if there's a mandate in your Trust for any union, even if you're not a member of that union. I'm not RCN but I was striking yesterday.

And employers aren't allowed to get you to reveal your union membership status either...
Am curious as to how that works with the more sectional unions - Unite/Unison/GMB all cover much the same groups of workers, so it makes sense that anyone who could be a member of one would be covered by the mandate, but does that still work if you have a more exclusive union like RCN, or indeed ASLEF, NEU, etc? I'm genuinely not sure how it works when there's a strike mandate for a union that only covers one section of the workforce, or how that's defined.
R4's just doing the whole 'care workers aren't striking and they get paid less than nurses/ ambulance workers' thing. :rolleyes:
Oh aye, I'm sure they had loads of supportive coverage when care workers were striking at St Monica's and so on. In more positive media news, looked like the front page of yesterday's Metro seemed pretty pro-strike/anti-tory on this issue, which I wouldn't necessarily have expected.

Oh aye, I'm sure they had loads of supportive coverage when care workers were striking at St Monica's and so on. In more positive media news, looked like the front page of yesterday's Metro seemed pretty pro-strike/anti-tory on this issue, which I wouldn't necessarily have expected.
Yes, it wasn't like they were encouraging care workers to unionise/ballot for strike action to improve their terms and conditions but 'if they can put up with shit, why can't these bloody nurses/ambulance workers do so too?'

Yes, it wasn't like they were encouraging care workers to unionise/ballot for strike action to improve their terms and conditions but 'if they can put up with shit, why can't these bloody nurses/ambulance workers do so too?'
Yep, was trying to gently call their bluff there. It is always one of the anti-union arguments that most does my head in, that, because it's so close to being a pro-union argument that's just been stood on its head - "how come these people who are taking collective action to improve their conditions have better conditions than the people who aren't doing that, eh?"

Yep, was trying to gently call their bluff there. It is always one of the anti-union arguments that most does my head in, that, because it's so close to being a pro-union argument that's just been stood on its head - "how come these people who are taking collective action to improve their conditions have better conditions than the people who aren't doing that, eh?"
'If I haven't got nice things/reasonable pay/a decent pension, why should they?!'

:rolleyes:

Oh, turns out the Notes From Below lot have published a whole load of articles on the UCU indefinite strike debate (on the pro side):

You can but I’m also on a apprenticeship so don’t want to push my luck

I'm hearing that the TUC is looking at having a coordinated day of action across all unions with mandates - so, the closest thing legally possible to a general strike - around the end of January or very start of Feb, anyone else hearing anything about this?

Anyone seen anything more recent about these proposed laws to ban workers in the NHS striking the Tories have gone on about?
Nope but for some reason they pointed out that similar bans and statutory minimum staffing levels exist in the EU .

I'm hearing that the TUC is looking at having a coordinated day of action across all unions with mandates - so, the closest thing legally possible to a general strike - around the end of January or very start of Feb, anyone else hearing anything about this?
This is roughly what I heard a few weeks back when PCS (mostly) won its ballots. Gives enough time for a couple of reballots and people being too skint to do a one layer before Christmas.

Turns out RMT won't be picketing tomorrow, which is understandable really, but think CWU will be.
Really good picket at my local delivery office this morning, one of the locals who came down to support brought down a firepit thing:
IMG_20221223_075650_308 (2).jpg
Which also served a multipurpose function for cooking veggie sausages and bread dough to make a kind of DIY veggie sausage roll:
IMG_20221223_081406_914.jpg
Not something I was expecting when I got up this morning.

Statement on the US rail worker's struggle by the Internationalist Worker's Group (US affiliate of the Internationalist Communist Tendency) :

Statement on the US rail worker's struggle by the Internationalist Worker's Group (US affiliate of the Internationalist Communist Tendency) :

This is all well and good but what does the ICC have to say about it?

Cheers - Louis MacNeice

Back
Top Bottom