Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Strike!

I've changed union a few times. I have never been in the RCN despite being a nurse out of solidarity with my colleagues (back when I qualified HCAs couldn't join, and in MH I've always worked alongside allied health professionals, let alone admin colleagues etc). That's looking a bit outdated now :hmm:. I've tended to join the most active union wherever I was - which means, annoyingly, I'm in Unite atm and still waiting for the result of our ballot.

If you're in Bristol, I would definitely recommend getting in touch with the Health Workers United lot:
Except I was not aware of their presence today. Where were they?

Reactions: LDC
Except I was not aware of their presence today. Where were they?

There's only a few people in Bristol working at the BRI and Southmead, would have been at the pickets recently giving out the newsletter on that website. Probably not that visible tbh.

E2A: Like hitmouse said also, not a union, an off-shoot (spawn? love child?) of Angry Workers Home - Angry Workers

Last edited:
There's only a few people in Bristol working at the BRI and Southmead, would have been at the pickets recently giving out the newsletter on that website. Probably not that visible tbh.
Do you think Unite rather then the RCN then? Clearly RCN have the biggest presence but originally I purposely did not consider the RCN because I found them very conservative until now......

I was in the RCM for years when I was in Maternity/ Midwifery because in comparison they were quite radical and got a lot done and our rep was fucking legend!

I am considering changing Unions. I'm with GMB they did not get enough votes for Industrial action. However I feel they should of been there as an act of solidarity. :( I can't see how they are representing my interests as an unregistered health care worker?

It's odd cus they have always been way more radical then the RCN who have always been notoriously Conservative.

I'm guessing that the low vote for industrial action had something to do with members being on the lower end of the pay scale? (As I am)

I think I might need to go across to the RCN in order to be properly supported and represented.

What do Urban think?
GMB has a bad reputation for sweetheart deals and such like but I'm sure they're not the only union to do such shenanigans. In the end, it comes down to the activity and member engagement of the local branch, its committee and reps. I'd say whichever union was most active and visible on pickets, then that's the one to join.

Yeah, Health Workers United are a small grassroots cross-union network not a union themselves. Sounds like RCN probably makes the most sense in union terms, was there much Unite presence where you were then?
Also, still deeply frustrating that Unison did manage to get a strike vote in at least some parts of the NHS... and are going out tomorrow instead of today. Picket lines listed here:
Although some of them will be at weird times.

Depending on which method you use to pay your subs, i would either get your bank to stop the direct debit or ask your works hr/payroll to stop taking subs from your wages. Then join your preferred union.
If deducted via payroll, would most likely need to inform the union initially of your desire to leave and stop subs.

Do you think Unite rather then the RCN then? Clearly RCN have the biggest presence but originally I purposely did not consider the RCN because I found them very conservative until now......

I was in the RCM for years when I was in Maternity/ Midwifery because in comparison they were quite radical and got a lot done and our rep was fucking legend!
The one I've met would be in unite

Did they meet the vote threshold for Industrial action?
Certainly was not aware of their presence today outside the gates.
Unite seem to have some complicated strategy of balloting bit-by-bit, so they now have a mandate in some ambulance services and will be striking alongside Unison tomorrow:
They've just finished balloting in Wales but not announced the result yet:
And I think are currently running ballots in some other services in England, with more on the way, but not totally clear what that is?

Yeah, Health Workers United are a small grassroots cross-union network not a union themselves. Sounds like RCN probably makes the most sense in union terms, was there much Unite presence where you were then?
Also, still deeply frustrating that Unison did manage to get a strike vote in at least some parts of the NHS... and are going out tomorrow instead of today. Picket lines listed here:
Although some of them will be at weird times.
And weird places.....the one in Bristol is on an industrial estate..... :confused:

Great to be out at the picket line. Met some Marxist fella who recognised me from radical bookfairs - quite a while ago now.
View attachment 356450
Played the Specials the whole time.
Looks like a decent turnout behind you, when Youngest Q came home from picketing with her sister, she told us there were getting on for a hundred people on theirs for much of the day. Lots of people stopped to speak and all were supportive including quite a few doctors on their way into the hospital.

I haven't seen anyone say that, it's always been the plan that they respond to Category 1 calls.
Tories have spread the idea that we're all at risk because of greedy unions though. Have the Tories been presenting the situation accurately

Seen two ambulances on call today. Tories lying that there aren't any working
I’m at work today, one of the three unions is striking and they’ve mitigated it so well we’re sitting around with nothing to do.

Some of the mitigations are questionable though, I for example am a band 3 but considered experienced so have been buddied with a member of the armed forces for non emergency transport and Cardiac arrests only. The only thing is anyone we go to who isn’t in cardiac arrest has theoretically been assessed by an HCP, but if I turn up and don’t assess them (because officially I’m not allowed), and they later die, I’ll then get asked why I didn’t assess them as I would day to day of working with an HCP.

I’m ex GMB, left because they pissed me off and am due to join unite, my station is all unite who aren’t striking, so they’ve rota’d shit loads of staff to make truck at my station to send to other areas where it’s predominantly striking GMB members. For example one of our main stations has a single ambulance on so a bunch of our crews have been sent there.

I’ve never been pro strike for ambulances, it’s far to east for our management to mitigate strikes, work to rule on the other hand would cause major issues.

Back
Top Bottom