Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Strike!

Is General Strike the Angry Workers line now ?

Hahaha, no.

E2A: I was laughing at us and the fact we might have such self-importance we'd issue a line like that, and also that we could agree it, or that anyone would pay attention!

Last edited:
Middle Q and Pollyanna were both working on the 15th so weren't out on the picket line. (that sounded really odd reading it back) Pollyanna who works in the ICU will be working tomorrow as well but Middle Q (A&E) is off so she will be there on the picket line waving a placard tomorrow. Youngest Q will be joining her since she has been 'volunteered' by her mother.
"Instead of just sitting there staring at your laptop go and join your sister and show some support"
"All women are sisters, Mum"
"Never mind the Helen Reddy crap, go and show solidarity with your actual sister"
So Mrs Q is taking a detour on the way to school to drop Youngest Q and flasks of coffee off at the picket line.

Hahaha, no.

E2A: I was laughing at us and the fact we might have such self-importance we'd issue a line like that, and also that we could agree it, or that anyone would pay attention!
Guessing that the "degree educated, highly skilled professionals" one probably isn't the official AWW line either?

Anyway, details of tomorrow's pickets here:

Not a good look for UVW - it's own staff in dispute with it now, through another union UVW dispute - Union Workers' Union
Further update on that here:
Sounds like a crap situation, but at least no compulsory redundancies now?

FkVu1HfWIAI-7qX

Yup, and it's a brutal thing to face at an interview, but it's answerable; people are needlessly dying everyday due to the state that the NHS is in currently and that state isn't an accident, it's the result of policies and decisions taken by the government.

I am considering changing Unions. I'm with GMB they did not get enough votes for Industrial action. However I feel they should of been there as an act of solidarity. :( I can't see how they are representing my interests as an unregistered health care worker?

It's odd cus they have always been way more radical then the RCN who have always been notoriously Conservative.

I'm guessing that the low vote for industrial action had something to do with members being on the lower end of the pay scale? (As I am)

I think I might need to go across to the RCN in order to be properly supported and represented.

What do Urban think?

I am considering changing Unions. I'm with GMB they did not get enough votes for Industrial action. However I feel they should of been there as an act of solidarity. :( I can't see how they are representing my interests as an unregistered health care worker?

It's odd cus they have always been way more radical then the RCN who have always been notoriously Conservative.

I'm guessing that the low vote for industrial action had something to do with members being on the lower end of the pay scale? (As I am)

I think I might need to go across to the RCN in order to be properly supported and represented.

What do Urban think?

I'm thinking similarly. I joined the GMB when I started with the NHS, as out of choice of a few unions they actually had a stall at the hospital I started at, and when I asked them why I should join them rather than any of the others they said something like, "We're a campaigning and political union." Anyway, I joined. But since then I've moved jobs and Trusts, and now am working at a hospital where they're not recognised. One of the main historical reasons for this seems to be recognition gets blocked by the other unions, and I guess the amount of work to get it through that has meant it's never happened. So I'm thinking I need to switch for that reason, but also.... they've been very shit over the last months leading up to this, including not being at all on the case with simple things like communication and support for the strikes. I think they're better for ambulance workers though tbh, they just seem quite shit for hospital workers ime.

I think if I was allowed (not a nurse or HCA etc.) I'd join the RCN (given the fact they've got their arse in gear quicker than all the others) but also either Unite or Unison (although I'm sure they have their own problems).

Deciphering all the rules and bureaucracy around these strikes has also been a headfuck!

Last edited:

What do Urban think?

Not sure where else you could go. Unison who Mrs Frank are with didn't get enough votes to strike either, probably because they represent so many different professions.

Not sure where else you could go. Unison who Mrs Frank are with didn't get enough votes to strike either, probably because they represent so many different professions.

Depends on the Trust in part. Some of the Trusts didn't get enough votes in the RCN to strike either. Does seem the health sections of the unions are basically slow and out-dated when it comes to sorting this out, partly rested on their laurels the last decades as there's not been any industrial action at all in the NHS.

I think Unite are still balloting after Xmas. Speed of ketamine addled tortoise ffs.

I see the scab army with their tens of thousands of scab grunts sat around doing fuck all are complaining that they don't have enough scabs to scab with.

The heart bleeds. If only there was some kind of popular movement to stick up for them at this difficult time. A popular movement that hadn't been sabotaged by scabs.

What do Urban think?
Yeah, it's hard to answer in the abstract cos it's all about who's got most presence in your workplace, and even in your job role - like, in the broadest, most general strokes I'd say Unite > Unison > GMB, but that doesn't tell you anything about who'll actually have the best branch where you work. If you're eligible to join the RCN and their strikes, and no-one else has a mandate where you work, then I'd definitely say join RCN, though.
And yeah, may be an obvious point but I only recently realised that the unions like Unison and GMB that try to organise across a range of job roles have a much tougher challenge than the RCN when trying to get over the 50% mark. Definitely reckon that if there's a functioning branch of whatever union then at least you should've had your branch sec/chair bringing the banner down in support, though! Are you/do you know many reps?

Yeah so much of it depends on the reps where you work tbh, like how motivated and how much in league/sympathy with management they are. There's been no sign of any reps from any union at my hospital pathetically. Even posters about would have been something.

And the RCN got a mandate for striking at my Trust, but then the RCN main rep works high up with management in the offices and derogated loads of wards and departments that shouldn't have been really; basically folded/colluded with the panicking Trust, and it's really made the strike much less impactful.

Yeah, it's hard to answer in the abstract cos it's all about who's got most presence in your workplace, and even in your job role - like, in the broadest, most general strokes I'd say Unite > Unison > GMB, but that doesn't tell you anything about who'll actually have the best branch where you work. If you're eligible to join the RCN and their strikes, and no-one else has a mandate where you work, then I'd definitely say join RCN, though.
And yeah, may be an obvious point but I only recently realised that the unions like Unison and GMB that try to organise across a range of job roles have a much tougher challenge than the RCN when trying to get over the 50% mark. Definitely reckon that if there's a functioning branch of whatever union then at least you should've had your branch sec/chair bringing the banner down in support, though! Are you/do you know many reps?
I know of one rep. I'll talk to her.

Tbh contact from GMB went from them not leaving me alone to make sure I'd posted my ballot to nothing. Even when they announced the votes were under the threshold for Industrial action- it wasn't clear what that ment in terms of striking- it was my manager that informed me I was within my rights to strike as an individual rather then as part of a union.

I think I'm done with GMB, especially as I'm interested in being very active concerning the current Industrial action.

Tbh contact from GMB went from them not leaving me alone to make sure I'd posted my ballot to nothing. Even when they announced the votes were under the threshold for Industrial action- it wasn't clear what that ment in terms of striking- it was my manager that informed me I was within my rights to strike as an individual rather then as part of a union.

I think I'm done with GMB, especially as I'm interested in being very active concerning the current Industrial action.
I've just sent a message to GMB saying I want to leave, why I do and asking how I do this.

If you're in Bristol, I would definitely recommend getting in touch with the Health Workers United lot:

Back
Top Bottom