Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Strike!

Doesnt say how though.
I see what you mean but it kinda does, it's just not big on specifics:

That’s why Unite has launched a grassroots campaign to put people first before profit. We’re focusing our energy on building a popular, working-class fightback. Our demands are fair: affordable energy, better pay, freedom from food poverty, investment in the NHS and its workers — and of course, adequate pensions.

We already know that when workers join together, we win. Over the past year, Unite has won over £150m extra pay for our members in more than 450 pay disputes. Now, Unite aims to bring its campaign for justice, a fair deal, and better wages from the workplace to our communities. We can win a better deal together.

From workplace to community, we will be driving a nationwide strategy to help bring change. We want to drive this country’s political agenda instead of being on the sidelines commenting on it. Our stand will be with workers as we hold all elected politician to account. The ground is there for us to build on, and we’re just getting started.

Back from the picket line. Biggest turn out of pickets and supporters so far. Office closed gates locked, no post in or out. Same again tomorrow then over to Brighton for demo. Several colleagues talking about the need to escalate to a more protracted period of strike action; a week or ten days. December could be very interesting.

Cheers - Louis MacNeice

Back from the picket line. Biggest turn out of pickets and supporters so far. Office closed gates locked, no post in or out. Same again tomorrow then over to Brighton for demo. Several colleagues talking about the need to escalate to a more protracted period of strike action; a week or ten days. December could be very interesting.

Cheers - Louis MacNeice
These 19 days of strikes are they extra to the ones already booked? Have dates been set for them or are they just like banked ready waiting for dates to be selected?

These 19 days of strikes are they extra to the ones already booked? Have dates been set for them or are they just like banked ready waiting for dates to be selected?
They are extra dates, but not all members are striking on all days. The aim is that no individual will lose more than nine days pay. That said we are still seeking clarity on exactly which days we're out.

Cheers - Louis MacNeice

SmartSelect_20221001-111436_Twitter.jpg

At our place security just got paid double! Arguably didn't even get the best deal for crossing the line!

More discussion in the comments that CWU haven't curculated their demands to members? Is that correct?

Presumably there's a strategy at play, but instinctively does seem a bit odd to ask members to strike for a deal they're not even sure of the details of.

View attachment 345306

At our place security just got paid double! Arguably didn't even get the best deal for crossing the line!

More discussion in the comments that CWU haven't curculated their demands to members? Is that correct?

Presumably there's a strategy at play, but instinctively does seem a bit odd to ask members to strike for a deal they're not even sure of the details of.
We are striking in opposition to what Royal Mail are proposing to impose on us; indeed they have already imposed part of their preferred deal. They haven't just come back with no movement in talks, instead at each stage they have upped the anti, the latest move being to say that job losses will have to take place. So the CWU position is say no pay cuts (which is what I'm facing...that is an actual pay cut not a real terms one after inflation is taken into account), no increase in standard hours, no compulsory Sunday working and retention of sick pay entitlement.

We know what the deal is on offer and we voted 97-98% against it. Royal Mail have come back with nothing but threats to us, to our union and to the fabric of the postal service itself. I would think it is one of the most explicable, least odd strikes ever entered into.

Cheers - Louis MacNeice

Ah, ok, so it's a strike aimed more at preventing things than gaining things (which isn't said dismissively, in case the tone is unclear in text).

As I say, just saw some members in the comments complaining about "the lack of transparency" from the CWU with regards to what they were saying in the talks with RMG.

Fucking hell, went to look for the original post, but at this point their timeline is just endless photos of picket lines :D :thumbs:

<edit: a quick search found it>

Ah, ok, so it's a strike aimed more at preventing things than gaining things (which isn't said dismissively, in case the tone is unclear in text).

As I say, just saw some members in the comments complaining about "the lack of transparency" from the CWU with regards to what they were saying in the talks with RMG.

Fucking hell, went to look for the original post, but at this point their timeline is just endless photos of picket lines :D :thumbs:

<edit: a quick search found it>
I haven't read the whole thread but I can't see any posts from people identifying themselves as CWU members questioning a lack of transparency. There are a few comments along those lines but a couple I looked at seem to come from people shall we say not entirely sympathetic to trade unionism.

As for the trigger for the disputes (there is one over pay and one over conditions); both ballots were called in direct response to RMG proposals...so basically we are saying 'enough is enough' until you come back with something better.

Cheers - Louis MacNeice

This is interesting. Not entirely sure if this is the right thread for it though. Maybe needs it's own thread:

Discussed a bit over on the Enough is Enough thread, it feels like the Unite leadership have seen EiE, decided they want a bit of that energy, but instead of just doing the sensible thing and joining in with it, they've set up their own smaller version, in a move sadly reminiscent of the daftest antics of bickering lefty sects.

On a more positive note, here's a scene from the Manchester Metropolitan University Unison strike this morning:

A few things I missed cos it's been a busy few weeks:
Cleaners and porters striking at Royal Opera House:
Cleaners at University of the Arts London striking over outsourcing and staffing levels:

and their strike fund:

Was talking this week with someone who's involved in a (very small) hospital union branch who was saying that they'd stopped keeping track of their consultative ballot after it got past 80% turnout.

Been looking for ways to make the picket more entertaining :D

Tbf, though, aside from a few comments I've heard here and there, we've largely only heard support from students, etc (obvs our strikes don't have as much direct impact on the general public).

Could mebbe adapt, though. Or make it a placard-sized bingo card and get members of the public in on it! :D

New report from a striking HE worker:
Strike Report from a Higher Education Worker

Also, hardship fundraiser for the Polyflor workers here:

Haven't read the whole thing yet but some interesting thoughts, and a few ideas we've either talked about or I've wanted to suggest to our own branch committee.

However...

UNISON. It's written UNISON. Not Unison. UNISON.

I know, I know, it's not the point, but every time I read it it's like a little pinprick in my brain. And I have to read it a lot :D

Non-members making the mistake is one thing, but still bemuses me how many members and reps get it wrong :confused: :mad: :(

Anyway, as you were... :oops:

Yes, certain reps, naming no names, know that it's officially written in allcaps but refuse to do so on principle cos of it not actually being an acronym or anything.

Ok, it's late so my ADHD is skipping around a lot, but will come as no surprise that I share the frustrations around co-ordinating a joint timetable among both branches and between UNISON and UCU.

In some ways, trying to take effective action has felt like a battle with Unison’s official structures as much as with the employer.

Hard "yup".

the union nationally wants to concentrate on balloting in Health, and then may or may not consider reballoting in HE after all the other sectors are sorted out...

For members in those branches who got close to the line but not over it and were expecting a reballot, I can’t imagine how frustrating it must be to have to sit this round out because their own union doesn’t seem to consider them a priority.

* ahem *

I certainly feel like HE is generally overlooked and under-supported in UNISON, often treated as an afterthought.

Also concerning to hear that branches are pulling out of national negotiations. I do kinda get it, particularly as a member of a strong and active branch at a rich university, but if nothing else it doesn't feel in the tradition of solidarity.

Last edited:
it's complicated.

Unite is Unite not UNITE

and UNISON isn't an acronym like NALGO was

Oh aye, I get it, but I feel like those of us who are fairly active read it so much that at least we should get it right!

Though I do have to remind myself that not everyone has my kind of brain, or has read the branding guidelines multiple times :oops: :D

Yes, certain reps, naming no names, know that it's officially written in allcaps but refuse to do so on principle cos of it not actually being an acronym or anything.
Heh, tbh, there is a bit of cognitive dissonance in my head for this exact reason, but, counter: all caps isn't exclusive to acronyms. You can simply spell your name in all caps, if that's what you wanna do ;)

Aaaaaaaaaanyway, as I say, conscious that's not the substantive point of the article, so apologies for the derail.

Haven't read the whole thing yet but some interesting thoughts, and a few ideas we've either talked about or I've wanted to suggest to our own branch committee.

However...

UNISON. It's written UNISON. Not Unison. UNISON.

I know, I know, it's not the point, but every time I read it it's like a little pinprick in my brain. And I have to read it a lot :D

Non-members making the mistake is one thing, but still bemuses me how many members and reps get it wrong :confused: :mad: :(

Anyway, as you were... :oops:
Is it? Fuck me I've been wearing my unison Gay Lanyard for a year and I had no idea.

Back
Top Bottom