Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Strike!

Were not all branches balloted? I was just talking to a Unison member at a university. Says it's the first he's heard of it. Unison is such a shite union.
Assuming my brain is serving up the right memory, each branch was asked to decide whether they wanted to ballot or not.

So if a particular branch's committee decided not to, ot would have gone no further.

Reasons for decisions aside, though, the fact that the membership still wouldn't hear about it either from their branch or UNISON HQ is naturally an issue in itself.

Equally, pretty sure I've said before, but I certainly feel like HE is generally overlooked and under-supported in UNISON, often treated as an afterthought.

In fact, me and the treasurer were saying as much in the pub no more than an hour ago :D

... So if a particular branch's committee decided not to, ot would have gone no further.

Reasons for decisions aside, though, the fact that the membership still wouldn't hear about it either from their branch or UNISON HQ is naturally an issue in itself.
I wasn't aware of this; rather weird, and - as you say - there is a problem here, if branch members wanted a ballot but the committee unilaterally decided not to bother with one. In such a case, would members even be notified that this had occurred, either by their branch or by HQ?

In our (HE) branch we were indeed balloted, and around 85% were in favour of strike action. But because only 40% of ballot papers were returned, it's null and void. One of our reps was saying they may try again in three months' time... it's f***ing infuriating though.

Why the blazes - we're in the C21st now - does it have to be a physical ballot paper to be returned by post, when I'm sure it must be possible for secure, confidential ballots to be conducted online - if I need to change my electoral register details for example, change of occupants in the flat etc - it's done online.
A cynic might suggest UK union industrial action ballots must still be done by post so as to reduce the number of respondents... do all unions use this antiquated system or is it just UNISON!?

One of our branch people suggested there may be an issue with some of our younger, lower-paid members who must of necessity be renting and changing addresses quite often, but don't notify UNISON of their new address, so that they don't receive their ballot papers.

I received repeated reminders to return my ballot, reminders sent by email, text etc, so I can hardly imagine members were unaware of the ballot.

Whatever the explanation, it's a pisser though - as I'd hate to be in a position where there was a wave of strikes across the country later this year, but we weren't (officially) able to participate :mad:

I wasn't aware of this; rather weird, and - as you say - there is a problem here, if branch members wanted a ballot but the committee unilaterally decided not to bother with one. In such a case, would members even be notified that this had occurred, either by their branch or by HQ?

In our (HE) branch we were indeed balloted, and around 85% were in favour of strike action. But because only 40% of ballot papers were returned, it's null and void. One of our reps was saying they may try again in three months' time... it's f***ing infuriating though.

Why the blazes - we're in the C21st now - does it have to be a physical ballot paper to be returned by post, when I'm sure it must be possible for secure, confidential ballots to be conducted online - if I need to change my electoral register details for example, change of occupants in the flat etc - it's done online.
A cynic might suggest UK union industrial action ballots must still be done by post so as to reduce the number of respondents... do all unions use this antiquated system or is it just UNISON!?

One of our branch people suggested there may be an issue with some of our younger, lower-paid members who must of necessity be renting and changing addresses quite often, but don't notify UNISON of their new address, so that they don't receive their ballot papers.

I received repeated reminders to return my ballot, reminders sent by email, text etc, so I can hardly imagine members were unaware of the ballot.

Whatever the explanation, it's a pisser though - as I'd hate to be in a position where there was a wave of strikes across the country later this year, but we weren't (officially) able to participate :mad:
A lot of UCU ballots never arrived in time to return them in my branch (and anecdotally in other branches too) in the last round of ballots

Truss confirming she will go ahead with planned attack on unions... General ("coordinated") strike is looking a certainty

This winter we'll see the most important and intense class conflict since the Thatcher years. Either the workers prevail or the barbaric Truss regime does, and the consequences of the barbaric Truss regime winning are unthinkable.

Truss confirming she will go ahead with planned attack on unions... General ("coordinated") strike is looking a certainty
I think a General strike would bring down this government ifmshed tryed it but I also think the economy would be affected too

I think by law it has to be a postal ballet. I think unions have asked the goverment to update the law to allow online without success.

Edit...

I think by law it has to be a postal ballet. I think unions have asked the goverment to update the law to allow online without success.

Edit...

Thanks. I thought as much - the scheming bastards. The TUC link says even the Conservatives can choose their mayoral candidate online...
[edited to add: and this 50% threshold is a bollox too; it doesn't seem to apply in general or local elections, funny that...]

Last edited:
This winter we'll see the most important and intense class conflict since the Thatcher years. Either the workers prevail or the barbaric Truss regime does, and the consequences of the barbaric Truss regime winning are unthinkable.
In reality I expect to see a protracted standoff which will be 'resolved' by the next general election. Interesting to see how Stramer tries to triangulate his way out of this one

In reality I expect to see a protracted standoff which will be 'resolved' by the next general election. Interesting to see how Stramer tries to triangulate his way out of this one
Could the unions withhold their Labour Party funding unless Starmer stops being a twat? Isn’t that a major source of Labour’s funding, or, with the decline in union membership over the past 40 years, have Labour turned to wealthy business people for donations?

Could the unions withhold their Labour Party funding unless Starmer stops being a twat? Isn’t that a major source of Labour’s funding, or, with the decline in union membership over the past 40 years, have Labour turned to wealthy business people for donations?
Imagine it depends on individual union rulebooks but guessing it's not straightforward. Ultimately, they could disaffiliate from Labour (as the RMT, for example, did) but again, think that's not very straightforward.

(Obviously individual members can opt out of contributing to their union's political fund.)

OK Urbs, time to make yourselves useful. The rail strike on 1 October is going to cause massive disruption and expense for the Q's (and I've been cheering for them too). My MiL and her 18 year old granddaughter were supposed to be coming to my house on that day on the train from Liverpool. Clearly they are not going to do that now and someone (probably me) will get stuck with a 200 mile round trip to deliver them.
However they along with my eldest daughter were supposed to be going onwards to London on the 2nd.
So for those of you in the know how long will things take to return to normal or near normal on Sunday? Mid morning? Late afternoon? They're heading for a hotel for a one night stay so not time critical as to when they leave on Sunday but given my MiL is 82 years old she doesn't really want to still travelling come midnight.
I travelled from South London to Skipton in Yorkshire on the19th August. RMT were on strike on the 18th and 20th. I took Thameslink to St Pancras, who started their service later than usual, Kings X to Warrington at 11am, and then 2 local Northern trains. Had mentally prepared myself for disruption, but everything ran like clockwork. Saying that trains can be a nightmare on Sundays, at the best of times!

Were not all branches balloted? I was just talking to a Unison member at a university. Says it's the first he's heard of it. Unison is such a shite union.
Yep, I see this has already been covered a bit but I think definitely the majority of branches were balloted, so the odds are that they were balloted and he just didn't hear about it... which, if that's what happened, would certainly be a big issue in itself.

If I remember rightly, one of the ways that the left's making progress in Unison is that I think that this time all branches were asked if they wanted to ballot on an opt-out basis, whereas the last time round they were asked on an opt-in basis with a really short time frame, so if any branch secretaries missed the email or were on holiday for the long week they were pretty much ruled out automatically.

God, that "in three months time" thing is properly enraging - as I understand it, the strategy that the elected national leadership for the HE sector had agreed on was that all the branches that didn't manage to get over the line would be reballoted ASAP, hopefully more or less coinciding with the UCU ballot that also started just after the Unison one finished. And Unison officialdom seem to have pretty much just said "no, we can't do that, maybe we'll let you have another go in three months' time".

Well, clearly you actually read your emails and so on, but I'm not sure that all members do, and the turnout seems to reflect that. The change of addresses thing is certainly a big issue and I'd hope that a competent branch would be doing a big push to get people's addresses up to date before the start of a ballot, as well as checking in to see who has or hasn't got theirs and encouraging people to update their details and request replacement papers where necessary. If you haven't already, for next time round I'd definitely encourage you to contact your branch and ask if there's anything you can do to help with the ballot effort - unfortunately, Unison's paranoia and general inertia mean that they're often not good at getting rank-and-file members involved in ballot campaigns, but even just stuff like talking to the people you work with and asking if they've received their ballots/voted yet can be really helpful.

"A new cwu reps structure" - are they telling the union how to organise themselves? :hmm:
Having started prepping my walk at 7.30 this morning I have just got home.

Yes they want to destroy the workplace structure of the union. While I was out for 10 hours today trying to maintain a service to the public in the face of sustained and significant understaffing, the Royal Mail management were seeking to drive a coach and horses through every agreement they have signed up to, be it with their employees on terms and conditions, the CWU or the public with regard to service provision. They have just upped the anti and shown their hand about breaking up the business.

Tired and angry - Louis MacNeice

God, that "in three months time" thing is properly enraging - as I understand it, the strategy that the elected national leadership for the HE sector had agreed on was that all the branches that didn't manage to get over the line would be reballoted ASAP, hopefully more or less coinciding with the UCU ballot that also started just after the Unison one finished. And Unison officialdom seem to have pretty much just said "no, we can't do that, maybe we'll let you have another go in three months' time".
:mad: :mad: Aargh.
Yes, I've often thought that if UNISON and UCU co-ordinated strikes and other actions together, it would have far greater impact.

My impression, from speaking with UCU colleagues and friends, is that UCU are a good deal more up for it; maybe it varies from branch to branch but I felt their recent strategy of strike days over four (?) weeks, increasing in frequency each week, was a lot more effective than a single 'day of action', and made a substantial impact (I heard that senior management at one FE or HE workplace caved in and agreed to a decent pay increase as a result)

Yes, I've often thought that if UNISON and UCU co-ordinated strikes and other actions together, it would have far greater impact.

My impression, from speaking with UCU colleagues and friends, is that UCU are a good deal more up for it; maybe it varies from branch to branch but I felt their recent strategy of strike days over four (?) weeks, increasing in frequency each week, was a lot more effective than a single 'day of action', and made a substantial impact (I heard that senior management at one FE or HE workplace caved in and agreed to a decent pay increase as a result)
Ucu may be up for it but in previous years their leadership have shown scant interest in coordination

Well, clearly you actually read your emails and so on, but I'm not sure that all members do, and the turnout seems to reflect that. The change of addresses thing is certainly a big issue and I'd hope that a competent branch would be doing a big push to get people's addresses up to date before the start of a ballot, as well as checking in to see who has or hasn't got theirs and encouraging people to update their details and request replacement papers where necessary. If you haven't already, for next time round I'd definitely encourage you to contact your branch and ask if there's anything you can do to help with the ballot effort - unfortunately, Unison's paranoia and general inertia mean that they're often not good at getting rank-and-file members involved in ballot campaigns, but even just stuff like talking to the people you work with and asking if they've received their ballots/voted yet can be really helpful.
Yep, I emailed the branch rep a week ago and suggested that if they need to sort out and update the branch membership lists, contact details etc, I could help - that type of repetitive, spreadsheet-tastic, attention-to-detail task...several hours staring at a screen... is the sort of thing I do at work anyway, and I quite enjoy it ! (maybe a high-functioning spectrum thing). Not heard back yet but will chase them up... although it could be that the difficult part isn't going to be updating a spreadsheet, but getting word out to members and stressing the importance of letting the branch know of any changes of address or other contact details.

For example, if we could access the work email system to contact members, we'd at least know that we had a current email address. I reckon we will have to sit down and 'brainstorm' a few ideas (hopefully in the pub) as to how best to get the message/s across. It may be that out-of-date postal addresses isn't the only or the main problem, however.

I know pretty much for a fact that some colleagues' reasons for joining a union are simply as a form of 'insurance', in case they ever faced redundancy or a disciplinary hearing; they don't have a sense of acting as a collective. For members like this, they may well regard a ballot for industrial action with indifference; it will only mean loss of pay if strike action is balloted for and goes ahead. Or it will mean their discomforture and embarrassment if they choose not to strike and end up crossing a picket line!

Anecdotally, I do feel that the generations younger than myself - which is pretty much everyone (I can just about remember the 1970s with its much higher union membership, a time when union leaders were household names etc) - may not fully understand what the role of a union is, and what it can achieve.

I heard of someone recently at our UNISON branch who wasn't aware there was such a thing as strike pay...I don't mean to sound patronising or piss-taking; I think this lack of awareness is just the natural result of the perceived decline in union power and influence over the past 40 years. This is just my impression at our workplace, its branch & members, and that of my partner at hers. Things may well be different elsewhere in other employment sectors and in other areas of the country.
But yes, you're right to say that just talking to people at work can be very useful - asking if they've received their ballot papers, or more generally chatting about the union, and emphasising specific wins and achievements.

:mad: :mad: Aargh.

Yes, that is usually the rule, so it's a bit confusing how we've now ended up in a place where we have some Unison branches taking action while UCU are still fairly early on in their ballot. I also get the impression that a lot of UCU members were quite burned out by the end of last year's action, I'm hoping that they'll have recovered from that now? But yes, the lack of coordination is shocking.
Yep, I emailed the branch rep a week ago and suggested that if they need to sort out and update the branch membership lists, contact details etc, I could help - that type of repetitive, spreadsheet-tastic, attention-to-detail task...several hours staring at a screen... is the sort of thing I do at work anyway, and I quite enjoy it ! (maybe a high-functioning spectrum thing). Not heard back yet but will chase them up... although it could be that the difficult part isn't going to be updating a spreadsheet, but getting word out to members and stressing the importance of letting the branch know of any changes of address or other contact details.
My guess would be that for GDPR reasons they won't let you anywhere near the spreadsheets if you're not on the branch committee, but if you're willing to agree to sign up for some formal position that sounds like a useful thing to do?

For example, if we could access the work email system to contact members, we'd at least know that we had a current email address. I reckon we will have to sit down and 'brainstorm' a few ideas (hopefully in the pub) as to how best to get the message/s across. It may be that out-of-date postal addresses isn't the only or the main problem, however.

I know pretty much for a fact that some colleagues' reasons for joining a union are simply as a form of 'insurance', in case they ever faced redundancy or a disciplinary hearing; they don't have a sense of acting as a collective. For members like this, they may well regard a ballot for industrial action with indifference; it will only mean loss of pay if strike action is balloted for and goes ahead. Or it will mean their discomforture and embarrassment if they choose not to strike and end up crossing a picket line!

Anecdotally, I do feel that the generations younger than myself - which is pretty much everyone (I can just about remember the 1970s with its much higher union membership, a time when union leaders were household names etc) - may not fully understand what the role of a union is, and what it can achieve.

I heard of someone recently at our UNISON branch who wasn't aware there was such a thing as strike pay...I don't mean to sound patronising or piss-taking; I think this lack of awareness is just the natural result of the perceived decline in union power and influence over the past 40 years. This is just my impression at our workplace, its branch & members, and that of my partner at hers. Things may well be different elsewhere in other employment sectors and in other areas of the country.
But yes, you're right to say that just talking to people at work can be very useful - asking if they've received their ballot papers, or more generally chatting about the union, and emphasising specific wins and achievements.
Yep, that's all totally understandable - there's a huge number of people who've never been on strike before, so it makes sense that they'd never have given much thought to things like strike pay.

Yep, I see this has already been covered a bit but I think definitely the majority of branches were balloted, so the odds are that they were balloted and he just didn't hear about it... which, if that's what happened, would certainly be a big issue in itself.
My mate can be a bit of a dope but I'd be surprised he didn't hear about it, if anything was happening... especially if there was even a basic GTVO campaign. He says he'll ask what happened.

PCS ballot is finally starting on the 26th. Six weeks, plus notice time, so little chance of it being part of a coordinated action with the other big unions.

Back
Top Bottom