Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Strike!

TSSA have also postponed strike action

mixed feelings - overall, it's probably a good PR move really, stops the tories and the tory press having an excuse to ramp up hate about the dastardly treasonous railway workers stopping the loyal subjects going and standing loyally in the rain outside the palace or whatever it is they will do

Sorry completely misunderstood you. I am disgusted by this. We are fighting to save Royal Mail and this was an opportunity to highlight its role as a public service. A missed chance to push striking as a benefit to us all.

Shit - Louis MacNeice
Trouble is, is that how it would be received?

Some Unison HE dates confirmed:
1663192612584.png
1663192754284.png
1663192623527.png
More should be coming soon. Am I right in thinking CWU are still due to go out on 30 September-1 October?

Local government (NJC pay scales) staff have had the first e-mail saying words to the effect of 'this seems to be final offer, we'll be balloting soon on whether to accept or not, and if not then next step will be ballot for some form of industrial action.

Had an online branch meeting one evening earlier this week. 2 people turned up (not sure if the lunch time version was a bit busier)

offer is not quite what Unison had asked for - but it's still a lump sum (1.9K) increase across all grades, so between 4 and 10 % depending on where you are on the pay scale (higher % at the lowest pay grades) which is not bad apart from how inflation is. seem to remember lump sum increases being asked for and not got in my previous time in local government (20+ years ago now.)

union leadership are not recommending a vote either way whether to accept, it's up to the members, but sounds like if membership don't accept the next step is balloting for some form of industrial action.

if that's the turnout for a meeting on whether to accept, i'm not sure there's going to be enthusiasm for action...

Had an online branch meeting one evening earlier this week. 2 people turned up (not sure if the lunch time version was a bit busier)

offer is not quite what Unison had asked for - but it's still a lump sum (1.9K) increase across all grades, so between 4 and 10 % depending on where you are on the pay scale (higher % at the lowest pay grades) which is not bad apart from how inflation is. seem to remember lump sum increases being asked for and not got in my previous time in local government (20+ years ago now.)

union leadership are not recommending a vote either way whether to accept, it's up to the members, but sounds like if membership don't accept the next step is balloting for some form of industrial action.

if that's the turnout for a meeting on whether to accept, i'm not sure there's going to be enthusiasm for action...
Blimey, if the leadership aren't pushing to reject then it sounds like they're not really going to put their back into trying to run a campaign over it. Also, do you not have the right to hold union meetings during work?

Blimey, if the leadership aren't pushing to reject then it sounds like they're not really going to put their back into trying to run a campaign over it.

indeed

Also, do you not have the right to hold union meetings during work?

not sure. it's a while since i've been part of a workplace branch set-up (mostly in non 'recognised' jobs recently) - i'm sure at a past recognised place we did have meetings in work time when it was round major reorganisations (which were fairly frequent) but not sure if it's different when it's just about a pay claim.

Depending on circumstances, there might be the scope to sort of fly under the radar, 'ask forgiveness, not permission' sort of thing.

At our place, we've basically just quietly (well, not that quietly, tbf :hmm: ;) ) gone about having meetings in work time, and so far it's not been enough of an issue to get called on, far as I'm aware. That said, not sure how true that is of certain depts. (e.g. security), where it's possibly not as easy for a large portion of the workforce to be in the same (physical or virtual) place at the same time.

not sure. it's a while since i've been part of a workplace branch set-up (mostly in non 'recognised' jobs recently) - i'm sure at a past recognised place we did have meetings in work time when it was round major reorganisations (which were fairly frequent) but not sure if it's different when it's just about a pay claim.
You definitely can have meetings in work time around a pay claim, but I suppose probably not if you're in a non-recognised job?

Anyway, UoLeeds have now announced their dates:

And more dates announced at port of Felixstowe:

Sure I saw something about how action at Liverpool was definitely still going ahead as well, but can't find it now.

And 26 FE colleges:

You definitely can have meetings in work time around a pay claim, but I suppose probably not if you're in a non-recognised job?

fairly sure union/s are recognised - it's a council albeit a fairly tory one (fairly old fashioned rural type tories)

i haven't really got the hang of what sort of proportion of people are members - i've been wfh-ing since i started there (i started while this was an emergency / unofficial thing) but now all 'back office' staff are home based, so seeing / talking to people isn't easy.

not sure what effect wfh-ing is going to have on unions (in the sort of job where people do wfh)

fairly sure union/s are recognised - it's a council albeit a fairly tory one (fairly old fashioned rural type tories)

i haven't really got the hang of what sort of proportion of people are members - i've been wfh-ing since i started there (i started while this was an emergency / unofficial thing) but now all 'back office' staff are home based, so seeing / talking to people isn't easy.

not sure what effect wfh-ing is going to have on unions (in the sort of job where people do wfh)
Yeah, it's certainly going to make picketing quite a challenge!

Anyway, sounds like Liverpool's definitely going ahead:

I hadn't realised until now that the strike is due to start on Monday morning, which I suppose must have been chosen some way in advance, but is quite funny timing now.

RMT officially back out on the 1st, which is gonna make it a pretty massive day:

Some HE Unison branches started striking today - bit late now, but here's the Scottish picket details for today and tomorrow:

Unite asking people to get down to the port of Liverpool to support the strikes tomorrow morning:

And there's a big "climate activists support the strike" thing planned for Friday:

OK Urbs, time to make yourselves useful. The rail strike on 1 October is going to cause massive disruption and expense for the Q's (and I've been cheering for them too). My MiL and her 18 year old granddaughter were supposed to be coming to my house on that day on the train from Liverpool. Clearly they are not going to do that now and someone (probably me) will get stuck with a 200 mile round trip to deliver them.
However they along with my eldest daughter were supposed to be going onwards to London on the 2nd.
So for those of you in the know how long will things take to return to normal or near normal on Sunday? Mid morning? Late afternoon? They're heading for a hotel for a one night stay so not time critical as to when they leave on Sunday but given my MiL is 82 years old she doesn't really want to still travelling come midnight.

OK Urbs, time to make yourselves useful. The rail strike on 1 October is going to cause massive disruption and expense for the Q's (and I've been cheering for them too). My MiL and her 18 year old granddaughter were supposed to be coming to my house on that day on the train from Liverpool. Clearly they are not going to do that now and someone (probably me) will get stuck with a 200 mile round trip to deliver them.
However they along with my eldest daughter were supposed to be going onwards to London on the 2nd.
So for those of you in the know how long will things take to return to normal or near normal on Sunday? Mid morning? Late afternoon? They're heading for a hotel for a one night stay so not time critical as to when they leave on Sunday but given my MiL is 82 years old she doesn't really want to still travelling come midnight.
Is coach travel an option, or would your MiL also understandably prefer to avoid coaches?

Back
Top Bottom