Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Strike!

PCS ballot is finally starting on the 26th. Six weeks, plus notice time, so little chance of it being part of a coordinated action with the other big unions.
I'm not sure if you're more or less optimistic than me there, but I reckon there's every chance of some of the current disputes running long enough that coordinated action with PCS becomes possible. Certainly if there's any possibility of the health unions taking action, I don't think that's likely to be any earlier than the PCS ballot. Let alone the chance of a Unison reballot in their non-currently-striking HE branches, as mentioned above.

My mate can be a bit of a dope but I'd be surprised he didn't hear about it, if anything was happening... especially if there was even a basic GTVO campaign. He says he'll ask what happened.
For anyone who's interested, it's no longer there on the current version of the page, but the Unison HE disputes page as it was this summer had a list of all the places that were balloting, so you can see if his branch was on that.

Anyway, Unite have a pretty decent campaign page up for the Liverpool dockers' strike, includes various graphics/posters to share and a form to send messages of solidarity:

They're not on that list, which tells me either the branch committee or regional office didn't think they had much chance of getting near the threshold. Either way, that's piss poor.
Well, on one hand that's crap but on the other I suppose it's more reassuring than if they tried to run a ballot without any of their members knowing about it? I think there are also a few branches who've opted out of national bargaining, but as I understand it those usually tend to be the strongest branches who can get better results for their members without going through the national structures, and it doesn't sound like that's the case here?

Strike Map and BFAWU seem to be doing a proper launch of their Organise Now project:

Sounds like a good idea and one that's much needed:

What is Organise Now?​

Organise Now is a collective of experienced workers from across the Trade Union and social justice movements, dedicated to, and with track records of, helping workers defend their pay and conditions - and to secure better work lives through collaborating with others.

How does it work?​

We have a support form for workers who want support and advice. After submitting the form, you will receive a call within 72 hours. We will put you in touch with an experienced organiser. They will listen to you and assist you in forming a plan on how to build change.

Video from Glasgow Uni this week, looks decent although Dailymotion seems to be absolutely infested with ads (you can watch this with an adblocked when it's embedded in u75, but it won't let you watch with an adblocker if you go to the actual page):

Video from Glasgow Uni this week, looks decent although Dailymotion seems to be absolutely infested with ads (you can watch this with an adblocked when it's embedded in u75, but it won't let you watch with an adblocker if you go to the actual page):

Shared with our Strike WhatsApp group :thumbs:

Very concise

And will be sharing this later (don't want to overload 'em... ;) )

Just on the reballoting Unison HE branches that didn't meet the threshold thing, I didn't want to post gossip that I'd only heard through word of mouth, but just found an article where a member of the NEC confirms what I'd been hearing:

The date for the new ballot is subject to negotiation inside Unison. The HE Service Group Executive (SGE) are arguing for the second ballot as soon as possible so any new strikes coincide with potential UCU action. Disgracefully, some bureaucrats in Unison HQ are arguing that the small HE service group might have to get in a queue for balloting behind bigger health and local government service groups.
GET IN A QUEUE FOR BALLOTING. This idea that you can't have different sections of the union balloting at the same time...never mind co-ordinating action across unions, these useless fucks want to make it impossible for one union to co-ordinate with itself. And just to stress again, the SGE that's arguing for the reballots to start immediately is an elected body* that seems to be being overruled by unelected officials. :mad:

* at least in theory, as I've mentioned elsewhere the knackered state of democracy in the union means that a lot of them are just elected unopposed because no-one can be bothered to run against them. But still, at least there's a mechanism by which they can potentially be challenged and replaced, which is more than you can say for some.

Had an online branch meeting one evening earlier this week. 2 people turned up (not sure if the lunch time version was a bit busier)

offer is not quite what Unison had asked for - but it's still a lump sum (1.9K) increase across all grades, so between 4 and 10 % depending on where you are on the pay scale (higher % at the lowest pay grades) which is not bad apart from how inflation is. seem to remember lump sum increases being asked for and not got in my previous time in local government (20+ years ago now.)

union leadership are not recommending a vote either way whether to accept, it's up to the members, but sounds like if membership don't accept the next step is balloting for some form of industrial action.

if that's the turnout for a meeting on whether to accept, i'm not sure there's going to be enthusiasm for action...

UNISON local government report

UNISON members have voted to accept the pay offer. Of those who voted, 63.5% voted to accept the offer and 36.5% voted to reject.

GMB and Unite have not yet concluded their consultations. (Not quite sure what happens if they say no)

CWU meeting on you tube, twitter and facebook tonight at 7.00pm; it's billed as 'the most important union meeting ever'.... I presume that they mean for the CWU. Please all feel free to tune in.

Perhaps it's worth adding that I think they are in right in terms of both the future of our jobs and the Royal Mail itself!

Cheers - Louis MacNeice

CWU meeting on you tube, twitter and facebook tonight at 7.00pm; it's billed as 'the most important union meeting ever'.... I presume that they mean for the CWU. Please all feel free to tune in.

Perhaps it's worth adding that I think they are in right in terms of both the future of our jobs and the Royal Mail itself!

Cheers - Louis MacNeice
Live now.

Cheers - Louis MacNeice

Felixstowe back out again:

Unite's HE section also balloting at 11 Scottish universities:

In other news, I would recommend that anyone thinking of getting thousands of flyers printed to advertise their strike dates proofreads them very carefully first to check that their comms officer hasn't somehow managed to design them with days that don't actually exist. :facepalm:

The people behind Strike Map are setting up strike clubs. I've joined my local one. Link here Join Strike Club
Any idea what platform they're using for it? I signed up to join their reps network then found out they wanted me to use fucking Slack for it, so I never bothered following up. A more locally-focused thing sounds like it might well be more useful though, especially if they don't make me use Slack.

This is interesting. Not entirely sure if this is the right thread for it though. Maybe needs it's own thread:

Doesnt say how though.

Back
Top Bottom