Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Strictly Come Dancing 2024

Well we're 2 Italians down from last year, Great start for the 20th anniversary.

I hope they cancel it now. I don’t want to watch it anymore. It’s basically paying men to abuse young vulnerable women.

I hope they cancel it now. I don’t want to watch it anymore. It’s basically paying men to abuse young vulnerable women.
Well no, I'd say that's an inflated conclusion, though I am conscious that the BBC has muddled and mishandled what Strictly actually is. Aljaz or Neil are not abusing young women, I guarantee that.

The very first series was an off-shoot of Sport Relief, itself an off-shoot of Comic Relief. What it initially grew into was a standard reality competition programme.

What I think went wrong was how it inflated into an almost guaranteed part of the semi-pro ballroom competition circuit, alongside very competitive Latin dancers. The reality TV segment was up against the competitive element, and the BBC was slow to fathom what was going on with their tentpole programme.

Some celebs sign up thinking it's a bit of fun and silliness. It's not. The pros are highly talented, highly competitive athletes who want to win. The BBC perhaps should have, years ago, put restraints in place on maximum hours trained or minimum standards to meet or something like that.

It'll survive. It's bruised and a bit over shadowed, but at least it's not the ITV ice skating version.

Well no, I'd say that's an inflated conclusion, though I am conscious that the BBC has muddled and mishandled what Strictly actually is. Aljaz or Neil are not abusing young women, I guarantee that.

The very first series was an off-shoot of Sport Relief, itself an off-shoot of Comic Relief. What it initially grew into was a standard reality competition programme.

What I think went wrong was how it inflated into an almost guaranteed part of the semi-pro ballroom competition circuit, alongside very competitive Latin dancers. The reality TV segment was up against the competitive element, and the BBC was slow to fathom what was going on with their tentpole programme.

Some celebs sign up thinking it's a bit of fun and silliness. It's not. The pros are highly talented, highly competitive athletes who want to win. The BBC perhaps should have, years ago, put restraints in place on maximum hours trained or minimum standards to meet or something like that.

It'll survive. It's bruised and a bit over shadowed, but at least it's not the ITV ice skating version.
I’m somewhere between those. I feel it’s certainly tainted. I’m not sure I want to watch anymore. But I agree with PR1Berske that not all the dancers will be being abusive.

However, we do know that professional dance has an absolutely horrendous reputation for bullying/abuse/attitudes. I think professionals coming from that background will be used to it. Not that that makes it OK. It isn’t. However, celebrities won’t. It’ll be alien. And rightly so.

However, I think it’s likely that there’s a further step. I think the BBC likely bear some responsibility. They have made contracts for professionals very competitive and very insecure. There is a quick turnover of professionals, especially women. Their professional career at the top is short. Add to that the possibility that the professionals are told “get them good quickly, however you can”. And some, with a background in a harsh training culture, will interpret that in ways many people would find completely unacceptable.

I’m not excusing the abusive dancers. I’m saying the BBC has very likely not been fulfilling its duty of care.

Further to the above.

Zara McDermott speaks about 'distressing' Strictly Come Dancing incidents

"However, my experience inside the training room was very different. Reports have been made about my treatment on the show and there were witnesses to some events, as well as videos of particular incidents which are incredibly distressing to watch."

Those training rooms are continually filmed. I suggested earlier that the alleged abuse may have been an unintended consequence of BBC attitudes, contracts and culture. But it should have occurred to me that the BBC very likely would have actually known what was going on and turned a blind eye.

I don’t think I said all the male dancers were abusing the female celebs. But we know at least two of them have been. And aljaz hasn’t been in it since 2021 so he’s kind of irrelevant to what’s been going on the last few years.

I do agree that the BBC hasn’t been fulfilling its duty of care. Zara wasn’t the one who complained remember. There is clearly a culture of turning a blind eye which is encouraged by the senior people in the programme. How many people raised concerns I wonder, only to be ignored?

Shirley has posted a really vile victim blaming video on her Instagram. She can get in the fucking bin.

The BBCs answer seems to be having members of the production crew to become chaperones during rehearsal sessions. They said there were no complaints about Graziano last year. Sadly the BBC is well known for turning a blind eye when it suits them.

The BBCs answer seems to be having members of the production crew to become chaperones during rehearsal sessions. They said there were no complaints about Graziano last year. Sadly the BBC is well known for turning a blind eye when it suits them.

The problem is this is bigger than the BBC. Zara McDermott didn’t complain and said that she didn’t as she was worried about the backlash. And when you see the atrocious comments Amanda Abington has had you can totally see why. Apparently the complaints were initiated by witnesses and then the BBC reviewed. My guess is they were trying to hope it would go away but someone threatened to go public. The whole thing is toxic. If they want it to continue I think the only way it can is with chaperones, but I’d also wager good money that there’s more to come.

I'm sad about this. Giovanni always seemed to get the best from his partners and it's terrible if he really did treat some of them so badly. It does not seem to have been across the board though. Still, even one incidence of abuse is one too many.

I'm afraid I never did manage to take to Graziano, right from the outset. No idea why but I just couldn't.

There's clearly a lot for the show to sort out though before the start of the next series.

Giovanni is insisting he will be back on SCD. I wonder if the BBC are considering having him as a dancer but he isn't able to train contestants or if the chaperone role is a suitable mitigation policy?

He could of course just be talking bollocks.

Interesting. I saw their show a couple of weeks back and nothing was mentioned about Strictly, apart from by Lauren who talked about her partner from last year, Krishnan Guru-Murthy. I think their banter is very scripted so maybe it was a one off comment.
I have to say the theatre was full and they got a terrific reception, Gio particularly.

He was on stage last night calling Abbington a mad woman. He didn’t name her but it’s fucking obvious.

This is during a tour with Anton who is also in the spotlight after the racism stuff has been brought up again.

Strictly is fucked now, I can’t see how it can come back from the avalanche of shit coming out.

Training sessions are filmed so a lot of people had to have known even if the judges and presenters didn’t as there’s a level of separation,

But plenty would have known that people were being mistreated.

They are really going top have to get some cracking celebrities in to make up for the bad smell over the whole event. Hopefully, it will screw the Beak over and we can finally be rid of him.

The celebrity rumours are still rather vague, tho I see they are (supposedly) hoping for a Beckham and even.... Philip Schofield?? Not sure that one would pan out well for them

Yeah, looks like there’s a deep seated toxic culture. Shocking from Janette. I liked her.

In anything competitive, there is an element of pushing yourself to your limits, which they should both be well aware of given their professional backgrounds. Overall it does feel like poor treatment.

The Paralympian, who was made a MBE in 2017, said bosses made him feel like the injury was his fault and there was no duty of care after the injury.

“No one has ever contacted me from the BBC or said sorry," he said.
Bayley's request to gain compensation for loss of earnings from the BBC was denied, but the broadcaster paid for him to have surgery in 2020.

During this time, the athlete said he "put on three stone and was struggling with depression".

Bayley said he thought his partner Manrara was "under a lot of pressure by the bosses to perform a certain way and I think it was them pushing me that caused the accident".

“She was a passionate teacher and she was part of the decision to do the jump. I feel she could have protected me more, but I didn’t have an issue with her. It was mentally hard and I didn’t want to let her down.”

Yeah, looks like there’s a deep seated toxic culture. Shocking from Janette. I liked her.
To be fair, yes there is most certainly a duty of care that should be in place for all contestants and I would say that when the show began inviting disabled contestants to participate, that duty of care surely includes making allowances and adjustments for their individual needs.

The show presumably has medical advisers who should be responsible for stepping in and counselling against things which present additional risks to individuals. Janette is not a medical professional and it is not really her call to decide what is safe (or not) for someone who may not have a full range of movement and ability and she should not have been left with such a responsibility. Weighing up such risks is up to the show's organisers and the medical personnel that they have on site.

Elite disabled sportsmen and women have a great deal to prove and most will not expect to be treated any differently to their able-bodied counterparts but they are also likely to know their own bodies and know very well what their bodies can and cannot do. There's clearly a very clear distinction between being overly paternalistic on account of someone's specific disability and not putting their performers needlessly at risk. That distinction appears to have been lost.

Apparently they didn’t have physios for the celebs until AJ Odudu injured her ankle.

It feels to me like they’ve been ramping up the pressure on the dancers and the celebs (and yes the judges are complicit Craig) without also ramping up the support necessary.

It’s a shocking indictment of neglect from the BBC who owe the people who make them millions in their most popular show a duty of care.

I agree with May Kasahara - it should come off the screens this year and they have a reset. Not rush out sticking plasters.

Apparently they didn’t have physios for the celebs until AJ Odudu injured her ankle.

It feels to me like they’ve been ramping up the pressure on the dancers and the celebs (and yes the judges are complicit Craig) without also ramping up the support necessary.

It’s a shocking indictment of neglect from the BBC who owe the people who make them millions in their most popular show a duty of care.

I agree with May Kasahara - it should come off the screens this year and they have a reset. Not rush out sticking plasters.

While it appears the BBC do have a medical team on hand, it doesn't explicitly mention physio therapists to deal with longer term care. It does seem negligent of the BBC to have not included a physio.

This article is about the accident AJ had back in 2021.

"I'm surrounded by a really great medical team who are trying their best to get back on my feet."

Back
Top Bottom