Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Streatham news, rumours and general chat

Another casualty

Apparently Universal Studios are going to make all their cinematic releases free to watch. Some new Trolls film amongst them.

Now all I have to do is watch it in a decrepit building with sticky carpets and set fire to £50 to have the Streatham Odeon experience.

Jokes aside, I hope they are taking care of their people.

Hello Streatham. Just arrived back after being out of the UK for 6 weeks... things have changed. :eek:
Have got a few supplies in - both the French Deli (Le Tour de France) and Saras Food and Wine on Sunnyhill Road (Valley Road end) are open and have some food/loo roll etc. I really could do with some eggs though - anyone found anywhere that's selling them? We're trying to avoid supermarkets.
Stay safe everyone thanks SB

Hello Streatham. Just arrived back after being out of the UK for 6 weeks... things have changed. :eek:
Have got a few supplies in - both the French Deli (Le Tour de France) and Saras Food and Wine on Sunnyhill Road (Valley Road end) are open and have some food/loo roll etc. I really could do with some eggs though - anyone found anywhere that's selling them? We're trying to avoid supermarkets.
Stay safe everyone thanks SB
Welcome back :D I’ve been giving this advice on other threads so apologies to those who see me mentioning it yet again, but small shops seem to be better stocked for those items on high demand, and IME you have a better chance of scoring in a corner shop or Costcutter-style small supermarket than in the big ones. Even with the chain brands you’re more likely to find stuff in a Tesco Express than you would in the megaTesco store.

Still if you’re an early riser, go to a normal supermarket in the morning and you’re far more likely to find eggs and whatnot.

Thanks for replying both. Popped into the butcher and he did have eggs (free range too) but I'd just already bought some (battery :(). Went to a couple of the smaller shops and yes they had stock, but absolutely no observation or enforcement of social distancing rules. It was pretty shocking. I'm actually now thinking about going to a big supermarket as I think it will be easier to stay distant.
Wholemeal cafe also selling food, and eggs.
Hope this helps
Thanks x

Really impressed with Holland and Barrett. Max 2 customers in shop at any one time, 2 lovely staff, one in store directing you to what you want, the other behind the self scan at till and contactless payment.
Had a chat with them both while I shopped. Heros
Unfortunately while queuing outside, people still not bothering to walk even 1 meter from me, let alone 2. Scared to say anything incase I get shouted or worse.

Really impressed with Holland and Barrett. Max 2 customers in shop at any one time, 2 lovely staff, one in store directing you to what you want, the other behind the self scan at till and contactless payment.
Had a chat with them both while I shopped. Heros
Unfortunately while queuing outside, people still not bothering to walk even 1 meter from me, let alone 2. Scared to say anything incase I get shouted or worse.
Meanwhile:
"Holland & Barrett has kept its shops open during the coronavirus crisis, but staff are campaigning for them to shut arguing their health is at risk ..."

Coronavirus: Holland & Barrett keep stores open despite staff pleas

Thanks for that GarveyLives. Absolutely they should close it if staff feel unsafe. The Streatham branch is a bit unusual in that it has wide isles, unlike most others I've ever been in. And you can order online. I need some special stuff for my dietary restrictions. I was feeling guilty about ordering anything on line but realize now this is probably the safest way for staff and customers, although I'm still not sure about how good it is for delivery drivers....

Streatham Common pics:

In photos: A sunny walk around Streatham Common and The Rookery

I meant to add that I found walking trough Streatham recently really quite unpleasant. The streets seemed full of people, many of whom were maskless and unwilling to make any attempt at social distancing. It's certainly put me off walking along the High Road again.

^ Anecdote not evidence: over the past 2 months I've been having to go up to Guy's Hospital twice a week for blood tests & chemotherapy - although I'm on the 'extremely vulnerable list'. We're all warned off public transport and I need to avoid it anyway to minimise risk; can't ride a bike; NHS patient transport is available but means you wait about all day so I haven't felt much guilt about taking Ubers instead. A driver (lives in NE London) told me last week he'd been all over and seen absolutely nowhere as crowded on either road or pavement as Streatham High Rd- he'd been down there over Easter weekend and said 'it was as busy as it ever was'. I think a lot of the crush is designed in, to be honest, given population density around the High Rd and the location of the shops, not to mention its eternal function of funnelling M23 south.

Last edited:
Oh it's awful. I'm forever saying to people how busy it is here and no one seems to believe me. I've limited even my daily walks now as its just frustrating (let alone dangerous). I shouted at one guy the other week who was just stood in the middle of the pavement texting without a care in the world. There's a bit near me where there's a bus shelter and a parade of takeaways, its absolutely impossible to walk down that bit without coming into contact with people due to the group of lads on bikes that linger there.

Yup, it's pretty busy here. I stopped going for a walk but then realized it was affecting my moods, so I've started going at 6 am, and to the supermarket at that time, or 9.30 pm to avoid people. There are those out and about who make no effort to social distance. Tesco checkout lady told me some people are still rude when she politely asks them to keep distance. I'm disgusted by this.

Just awful:

A 16-year-old cyclist was hit by two cars in quick succession in an apparent double hit-and-run, police have said.

The first crash happened on High Road, Streatham, south London, at 23:17 BST last night, Scotland Yard said.

It is thought a second car travelling close behind hit the boy seconds later. Both failed to stop at the scene.

The victim remains in hospital with life-threatening injuries. Police said two men were arrested at separate locations in the local area.

It is not thought the pair, both in their 20s, were known to each other.

They remain in custody as inquiries continue, police said.

If you venture a bit further along from there, down Valley Road towards Streatham Common, there's another great little nature reserve called Unigate Wood (there used to be a dairy nearby, and Valley Road was pasture used for grazing cows.) It might possibly be one of the remaining parts of the Great North Wood. Anyway, it's only small, but perfectly formed, and you can almost forgot you're in London for a few moments. What's nice is because it's off the main road and you can't really see it from anywhere, it's quite hard to find and plenty of people who've lived here years don't know about it. So it feels like a little secret bit of countryside in the city.

4599014792_c6f1dc7312_n.jpg

1591220297803.jpeg

If you venture a bit further along from there, down Valley Road towards Streatham Common, there's another great little nature reserve called Unigate Wood (there used to be a dairy nearby, and Valley Road was pasture used for grazing cows.) It might possibly be one of the remaining parts of the Great North Wood. Anyway, it's only small, but perfectly formed, and you can almost forgot you're in London for a few moments. What's nice is because it's off the main road and you can't really see it from anywhere, it's quite hard to find and plenty of people who've lived here years don't know about it. So it feels like a little secret bit of countryside in the city.

4599014792_c6f1dc7312_n.jpg

View attachment 215993
Great place to visit. Also there is 'Russell's Path' hidden away running from Belltrees Grove all the way to Streatham Station.

It looks like it's being snowing in Unigate Wood due to all the fluffy seeds from what I think are poplar trees in there. Forgot to take my phone to take a pic though!

Great place to visit. Also there is 'Russell's Path' hidden away running from Belltrees Grove all the way to Streatham Station.
There's Wellfield Walk too - both are survivors from the grounds of the Streatham Spa, which was incorporated into the Curtis dairy that was later taken over by Unigate. Apparently they still delivered the mineral water to local households up until the 1950s. The old well house is still there, tucked away behind the sheltered housing on Well Close.

And if you stand on the corner of Valley Rd and South Oak Road there's a manhole under which you still hear the spring gushing loudly. It's one of the main sources of the Falcon Brook...

...And if you're a real nerd, you can then walk the route of the buried river through Streatham, across Tooting Commons and through Balham and Battersea down to where it comes out in the Thames by the old Price's candles works. It's a surprisingly obvious valley, particularly at the Northcote Rd/Falcon Road end.

I confess I have done this. For shame.

Yeah I saw videos of it, so many people. Then when police dispersed them, a whole bunch ended up outside my block of flats and there was definitely some fighting and a lot of noise.

Earlier today, Mark Brazant, 43, of Windmill Road, Ealing, appeared at Camberwell Green Magistrates Court charged with the attempted murder of Josephine Conlon, 36, and with the possession of offensive weapons (three kitchen knives).

No pleas were entered.

District Judge Karim Izzat remanded Brazant in custody to appear before the Old Bailey for a plea and trial preparation hearing on 31 January 2020.

Mark Brazant, who has paranoid schizophrenia, accepts he stabbed Josephine Conlon seven times a few days after being released from prison, but denies that he had intended to kill her or cause her serious harm:

Husband weeps as CCTV of wife's horror knife attack in street played in court

I've been busy compiling a listing of pubs reopening in south London on Saturday for Brixton Buzz and next up is Streatham.
Can anyone add any details of any pubs they know will be opening please?

Pratt's and Payne definitely are from the 4th. There were staff in the Tringham today when I went past so I imagine that's also opening on Saturday.

The Manor Arms and The Bull aren't opening until 20th and Mere Scribbler not til 8th August. Those are the only ones I've seen announcements from.

Pratt's and Payne definitely are from the 4th. There were staff in the Tringham today when I went past so I imagine that's also opening on Saturday.

The Manor Arms and The Bull aren't opening until 20th and Mere Scribbler not til 8th August. Those are the only ones I've seen announcements from.
Thanks - that's really helpful!

editor Also The Sultan is opening from Saturday, they're going to be letting 14 people inside and a further 8 in the garden.

Pratt's and Payne are taking bookings and you're only allowed your table for 2 hours.

Back
Top Bottom