Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Streatham news, rumours and general chat

It did get better for a while but seems to have gone downhill again. Don't mind it for a quick pint but I have low standards.

In other pub news, Chalkpit has closed. Not really a great surprise.

It did get better for a while but seems to have gone downhill again. Don't mind it for a quick pint but I have low standards.

In other pub news, Chalkpit has closed. Not really a great surprise.
Oh, my standards can go pretty low too - I hate shiny pubs - but it was the kind of the boozer that if you look even slightly different to the in-house geezer look, you'll get unwelcoming stares from the bonehead locals. I imagine homophobia is a look away and it's the kind of pub that bedecks itself in Ingeeeerland flags at the slightest excuse. And the interior is bleak and soulless too. Awful place.

Just in

Streatham MP Bell-Ribeiro Addy appointed to serve in shadow cabinet

Streatham MP Bell Ribeiro-Addy has been selected to sit on the Opposition frontbenches as the new Shadow Minister for Immigration.

She replaces former Lord Mayor of Manchester, Afzal Khan MP, in the role as part of a mini Labour reshuffle that sees party leader Jeremy Corbyn preparing for his last three months as Leader.

As Streatham’s MP, Bell represents one of the most diverse boroughs in London with a high proportion of migrants. According to local government statistics from 2016, 38% of Lambeth residents were born outside the UK and 150 different languages are spoken by families across the area.

Herself the daughter of Ghanaian migrants, Ms. Ribeiro-Addy has been a consistent and outspoken supporter of migrants’ rights. As the former Chief of Staff to Diane Abbott MP, she helped expose the Home Office’s wrongful deportations of Windrush citizens and helped compose Labour’s new immigration policy.

Earlier this week she joined protests in Parliament Square, calling on the government to support cross-party legislation to enshrine the right for refugee family reunion in its EU Withdrawal Bill. After the Conservatives voted to scrap the amendment with a majority of eighty, Ms. Ribeiro-Addy tweeted:

“The way we treat the most vulnerable people in our society says a lot about our values and priorities. This government is shutting the door in the faces of refugee children. They’ll do the same to others looking for help and support.”

Announcing the news, leading Windrush lawyer and Streatham resident Jacqui Mckenzie tweeted:

“Really excited that @BellRibeiroAddy, MP for Streatham, has been appointed shadow immigration minister. Bell has been a leading advocate for people affected by the #Windrush scandal and other immigration hostilities. Congratulations Bell.”

Seeing reports on Twitter of a stabbing then shooting on the High Road. Road all closed off and all sorts of rumours flying around on social media.

I went past Streatham Hill station about half hour ago and saw police blocking the road. I thought it was a road accident or something like that. Christ.... :(

Looks like the road could be shut for a bit. Last time something happened, when that guy was murdered on Brixton Hill it was a good day of being shut.

Got a couple of mates who live in the old Police Station, this incident was basically outside their window, and the countries media are outside their door. Bit too close for comfort.

I like the proposed raised ped crossing by holmewood road - it might slow down the racers launching themselves down Brixton hill, or at least damage their suspension

This would mean I would actually ride my bike into Streatham. Right now it'd feel like suicide. Big thumbs up.

The Northern end at Holmewood Gardens feels like a bit of a botch job.
  • Narrowing the road to two lanes like that will jam the buses up in the morning.
  • There is a mixture of light control and zebra crossing. IME, these mixed-mode crossings cause confusion and conflict between pedestrians and cyclists. The whole crossing should be on lights control.
  • Southbound cyclists in the bus lane have to merge with traffic before being allowed to turn off into the cycle lane. The cycle lane should be a continuation of the bus lane and buses should be forced to merge.

1581461955043.png

There's acres of pavement space on the Western side to fit something better in. I drew up a version that maintains three lanes (2 NB, 1 SB) and has a staged crossing for NB cyclists based on the well-designed crossingon Farringdon Street just South of Holdborn VIaduct:

1581462088920.png

I think the re-positioning of the bus stops around Telford Bus Garage is good.
But something needs to be done about speed between the Christ Church Rd Junction and where ever the traffic queuing for the lights at the bottom of Leigham Ct Rd / the S Circular starts. Drivers treat it like a dual carriageway. Crossing from Telford Avenue to go South is lethal - speeding traffic, 50 mph not unusual, a slight curve in the road and a brick planter full of tall dense weeds and you cannot see what is zooming along in the third lane.

I think the re-positioning of the bus stops around Telford Bus Garage is good.
But something needs to be done about speed between the Christ Church Rd Junction and where ever the traffic queuing for the lights at the bottom of Leigham Ct Rd / the S Circular starts. Drivers treat it like a dual carriageway. Crossing from Telford Avenue to go South is lethal - speeding traffic, 50 mph not unusual, a slight curve in the road and a brick planter full of tall dense weeds and you cannot see what is zooming along in the third lane.
I’ve never known anywhere to have so many yellow signs requesting info on a fatal collision. There seems to be a permanent sign, moving back and forth with different details as more pedestrians are killed.

Yeah nice one. Plus two other albums on the shortlist (black midi and Fontaines DC) were recorded at Dan Carey's studio on Sunnyhill Rd!

A further award for a local lad:

Dave's 'Psychodrama' Wins 'Album of the Year' at the 2020 Brit Awards

Dave's Brits 2020 rap - lyrics in full: Grenfell fire and 'racist' Boris Johnson targeted in powerful performance

NINTCHDBPICT000562741140.jpg

David Omoregie with his mother Doris, a nurse from Streatham, who worked double shifts to support her son and insisted that he studied after school at their small terraced house instead of going out on the streets. His father Frank was deported to Nigeria in 1998, when Dave was four months old. More than 200 City executives and a thousand others had petitioned to save him, but his appeal for asylum was turned down by the then Home Secretary Jack Straw; and Frank was holding baby David when the police came to take him away.

A further award for a local lad:

Dave's 'Psychodrama' Wins 'Album of the Year' at the 2020 Brit Awards

Dave's Brits 2020 rap - lyrics in full: Grenfell fire and 'racist' Boris Johnson targeted in powerful performance

NINTCHDBPICT000562741140.jpg

David Omoregie with his mother Doris, a nurse from Streatham, who worked double shifts to support her son and insisted that he studied after school at their small terraced house instead of going out on the streets. His father Frank was deported to Nigeria in 1998, when Dave was four months old. More than 200 City executives and a thousand others had petitioned to save him, but his appeal for asylum was turned down by the then Home Secretary Jack Straw; and Frank was holding baby David when the police came to take him away.

Almost inevitably:

Hundreds of viewers complain Dave and Stormzy’s Brit Awards performances were 'racist'

Given that public meetings in Streatham can sometimes bring our local authoritarians out of their holes, I was pleasantly surprised that there was only one person there ranting that the "bail hostel" (probation service "approved premises") in Leigham Court Rd must be closed down.

Several people, including current and former councillors mentioned that it had operated for 20 years with no issues.

Is there a local neighbourhood watch group at the end of Streatham closer to Brixton? Batch & Co Coffee shop @BatchandCoffee have said they are happy to host community meetings there. It has great coffee too.

Looking at the Streatham Hill Ward met stats for for Jan 2020 https://www.police.uk/metropolitan/E05000430/crime/ - there is quite a lot of ASB, and speaking to neighbours it appears that Betfred betting shop seems to be a particular vortex of crime. Businesses are tired with dealing with this. Anyone know if Betfred is planning to leave Streatham Hill too?

Attachments

• Crime hotspots Streatham Hill.png
    Crime hotspots Streatham Hill.png
    314.2 KB · Views: 6
Someone told me that the Streatham Hill branch of the CAB shut suddenly Friday, anyone know more?
"A building issue" - possibly consequence of the recent torrential rain as I think at least part of the building had flat roofs.
Lambeth and Merton CAB website said:
Barrhill Road Office, Streatham Hill Temporary Closure
March 5, 2020

From Monday 9 March, this office is temporarily closed owing to building issue.
We are working hard to resolve and relocate appointments.
If you’ve a scheduled appointment in this office, we’ll be in touch.
If you haven’t heard from us, please use the online query form on home page of website or email appointments@caml.org.uk.

Back
Top Bottom