Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Streatham news, rumours and general chat

[Maybe not the right thread (Streatham constituency includes four wards north of the S Circular of Brixton Hill, Tulse Hill, Clapham Common and Thornton as well as the four Streatham town centre wards]

Here's the Yougov MRP poll results for Streatham constituency

Vote estimates (with 95% confidence interval upper and lower limits)
Lab 52% (Low 43% High 60%)
Lib Dem 24% (Low 17% High 32%)
Con 14% (Low 9% High 19%)
Green 7% (Low 3% High 11%)
Brexit 3% (Low 0% High 7%)
Comres poll Streatham.PNG

I would have liked Chuka to have stood.

Friend of mine said that once Chuka left Labour party he was unavailable for his constituents.

He was so full of himself he should have stood.
At the hustings thing earlier in the week, someone in the audience read out a tweet from Chuka saying how he would continue to support and represent the interests of Streatham after changing parties. It took a while for the laughter to die down.

I have had several personalised letters from Chuka urging me to vote Lib Dem.
I am tempted to vote for them (as the least bad option) - but every time he writes to me I become less tempted

Also- It is now a daily challenge to open the front door when I get home due to the piles of L.D. bumpf sent to me every day. It is very offputting and, for a greenish party they sure do get through a lot of trees

Also- It is now a daily challenge to open the front door when I get home due to the piles of L.D. bumpf sent to me every day. It is very offputting and, for a greenish party they sure do get through a lot of trees

I think some of that frustration is shared by the local LibDem campaign team who haven't been told the schedule for mailshots by the national party aimed at Remain voters across London and the SouthEast, resulting in local volunteers delivering after the postie has been around discovering that many households have already received something that day!

But overall the volume of leaflets any household will get will be less paper to recycle than one copy of the Saturday Guardian.

I would have liked Chuka to have stood.

Friend of mine said that once Chuka left Labour party he was unavailable for his constituents.

He was so full of himself he should have stood.

I had a personal letter from him this week actually....Chukka Ummuna (Former Labour Mp)

it were propa weird?

When he was still in the Labour Party, I emailed him about stuff three or four times. Never even got an acknowledgement.
I emailed him about an issue I had and got a response which didn’t address the issue at all. It spoke about national issues, rather than the very specific thing regarding my road that I asked about.

So I wrote back, stating that he must not have read the email properly as he addresses points that I didn’t make.

Again, some pre written bullshit. So I wrote a third time and reminded him that he had pulled out of the Labour leadership race, has no shadow ministry and is now a backbencher so should be thinking about his constituents rather than the national interest.

I then got a curt response to say he couldn’t help.

So he did fuck all, but at least I kept getting responses. But that was when I started voting Green.

Lib Dems in fake news scam with leaflets that look like local papers

EKSsoU3WsAEBB8O.jpg

(Source: Twitter)

One of the examples cited.

"Political parties have been warned not to send election leaflets that mimic local newspapers ..."

General election 2019: Parties warned over 'newspaper' election leaflets

Can anyone recommend a decent man with a van in the area? I've got a few bits of furniture that need moving and I need someone that can transport them but also lug them up some stairs for me.

I might actually vote now Chuka's gone.

Can someone recommend me some places near Leighham Court Road that have WiFi where I can spend an hour waiting for my child?

Where's the best place for a traditional breakfast in Streatham?
Cafe Vivaldi, 2 Leigham Hall Parade (near corner of Leigham Avenue),
Life Cafe, 5 Astoria Parade (near Odeon) -
The Winning Post Cafe, 161-163 Greyhound Lane by Rabbit Hole (formerly Greyhound) pub

All three should still give change from a tenner
Couple of other places I might have previously recommended got shockingly bad hygiene ratings.

The Winning Post Cafe, 161-163 Greyhound Lane by Rabbit Hole (formerly Greyhound) pub

Couple of other places I might have previously recommended got shockingly bad hygiene ratings.

Cheers..I'll give Vivaldi and Life a go - I love Wholemeal Cafe but sometimes you just need a little grease.

Almost all the places I like (or have liked) in Brixton have terrible hygiene ratings! The original Phoenix was a solid zero or one star- and that was my favourite cafe by miles!

Almost all the places I like (or have liked) in Brixton have terrible hygiene ratings! The original Phoenix was a solid zero or one star- and that was my favourite cafe by miles!

Hmm... I'd be wary of that as there's a lot that go wrong with the ingredients for a full English.
Seems that there is very little middle ground these days between a shithole that serves up a plate of crap you could buy at wholesale for 70p and those artisan joints that'll set you back £15+ for a big breakfast. Steve's in Herne Hill is one of the rare exceptions I can think of in the wider area but I never seem to pass through there these days.

ETA - Went to Vivaldi today. Seemed clean and really nice people running it. Food a little bland but I'll test them on their bubble next time I'm in. Cheers for that Lang.

Last edited:
The Metrpolitan Police have released CCTV footage and an image of a man that they would like to speak to after a teenage girl reported she had been raped in Streatham.

The incident happened on Wednesday 11 September 2019 at around 3.30 p.m. after the victim, a 15-year-old girl in her school uniform, had got off a bus on Streatham High Road.

As she turned into Guildersfield Road she was approached by a man who engaged her in conversation. They turned into Buckleigh Road where the man led the girl to an alleyway and then sexually assaulted her.

After the attack he walked back down Guildersfield Road towards Streatham High Road.

gclwtke52sang98j1apu.jpg

Anyone who recognises the man shown in the picture or who has information that could assist the investigation is asked to contact police on 101 and quote CAD 5718/11Sept19 or tweet @MetCC. Alternatively, contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

I’m hesitant to post this after GarveyLives for fear of comparison, but I was prevented from driving up Downton Avenue in Streatham Hill this evening. It seems someone was stabbed there.

I’m hesitant to post this after GarveyLives for fear of comparison, but I was prevented from driving up Downton Avenue in Streatham Hill this evening. It seems someone was stabbed there.
Details of the crime that led to the local traffic disruption referred to (and details of the traffic diversions) have now made the national news:

Mother, 36, who screamed 'I've been stabbed!' as she slumped over her child's pram with blood pouring from her head after being knifed three times in 'mugging' on residential London street

Hopefully, the publicity will result in a more detailed description of the person responsible that considerably narrows down the field of potential suspects:

"Officers described the suspect as a 'black man, around 6ft tall and wearing dark clothing'.

Details of the crime that led to the local traffic disruption referred to (and details of the traffic diversions) have now made the national news:

Mother, 36, who screamed 'I've been stabbed!' as she slumped over her child's pram with blood pouring from her head after being knifed three times in 'mugging' on residential London street

Hopefully, the publicity will result in a more detailed description of the person responsible that considerably narrows down the field of potential suspects:

"Officers described the suspect as a 'black man, around 6ft tall and wearing dark clothing'.
A 43-year-old man, who has not yet been named, has been arrested on suspicion of attempted murder and suspected possession of offensive weapons. He visited a west London police station in the early hours of this morning. The suspect remains in police custody as inquiries continue.

A 43-year-old man, who has not yet been named, has been arrested on suspicion of attempted murder and suspected possession of offensive weapons. He visited a west London police station in the early hours of this morning. The suspect remains in police custody as inquiries continue.
Earlier today, Mark Brazant, 43, of Windmill Road, Ealing, appeared at Camberwell Green Magistrates Court charged with the attempted murder of Josephine Conlon, 36, and with the possession of offensive weapons (three kitchen knives).

No pleas were entered.

District Judge Karim Izzat remanded Brazant in custody to appear before the Old Bailey for a plea and trial preparation hearing on 31 January 2020.

Back
Top Bottom